Force default drag-n-drop action to be copy?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
mwb1100

Force default drag-n-drop action to be copy?

Post by mwb1100 »

I'm wondering if it's possible for me to somehow configure XY to always default to a copy operation when drag-n-dropping, even if the target is on the same partition as the source. (Of course this should still be overridden by the shift key to turn it into a move operation).

I know that XY's behavior is in line with the Windows standard, but I'm not a fan of it. As a bonus - does anyone know if there is by any chance a Windows option to do this for WE (and if there is, maybe XY respects it)?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Force default drag-n-drop action to be copy?

Post by admin »

I'm not a fan of this wish.

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

admin wrote:I'm not a fan of this wish.
I can fully understand. I didn't really mean it so much of a wish as, "I wonder if there's something already there". I think it would open up an additional (unnecessary) point of confusion.

Personally, I find the standard behavior confusing, but at least it is standard.

I've survived long enough with the status quo. I'll just press on, cursing why MS thought I should have to change how I drag-n-drop depending on such a detail (I wonder if Mac behaves similarly?).

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Have you tried using the right mouse button to perform the drag and drop instead?
Presents you with a nice custom menu of options instead of just an overlay on the cursor.

Might feel better if you can break your habit and retrain yourself to use that... then again that's always much easier said than done. :twisted:

swsjetyn

Post by swsjetyn »

I'm a fan of this wish. It cost me to much time to find if there is a way, and now i give up.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

If you hold Ctrl while DnDing files, they will be copied even if on the same partition.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

iycgtptyarvg

Post by iycgtptyarvg »

It's kind of funny, but I would like the opposite to be possible : always move files.

I think the Windows behaviour is terrible. It's not always clear whether stuff comes from and goes to the same or another partition. Microsoft should have used a stable way (either always copy, or always move).

If this feature would be implemented, then a 3-way would be great:
1. Default Windows behaviour
2. Copy by default
3. Move by default
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(") your signature to help him gain world domination.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

iycgtptyarvg wrote:I think the Windows behaviour is terrible.
That's right :!:
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

krys0100

Post by krys0100 »

You can set this in:
Tools, Other, Shell Integration, Drag and Drop.

:)