Why are more and more users failing to unlock the application

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Why are more and more users failing to unlock the application

Post by admin »

When you purchase a license, you will receive an email that looks like this [some data has obviously been replaced with ... below]:

Code: Select all

Hello ...,

Here are your XYplorer registration details.
Keep them in a safe and secret place!

Name: ...
Key: ...
Scope: one individual person (not transferable)
Type: Lifetime License Professional
Valid: for all future versions
Date of Purchase: ...
XYdentity: ...

In XYplorer select 'Unlock Trial Version...' or
'Update Registration Details...' under the Help menu
to enter the license data.
In recent years, more and more customers fail to follow these simple instructions and need personal assistance to unlock the application. Why is this happening? What could I make clearer to avoid this daily waste of time?

yusef88

Re: Why are more and more users failing to unlock the application

Post by yusef88 »

a dedicated registration menu
reg.png
reg.png (518 Bytes) Viewed 593 times

xy123

Post by xy123 »

LOL. Just make a short youtube video tutorial and add the video link to that mail. Problem solved!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Maybe, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Would they even see the link? Apparently the ability to see, read, and understand simple instructions is declining sharply (AI is coming just in time). You know, in my written replies to the lost and helpless, I always ask what the problem was. 99.9% don't even answer that question. Shrug.

eil

Post by eil »

BTW mentioning AI with lots of mails and no answers reminds me of chat-bots from past that were having "a learning course" via "attacking" some forum/chat.
As for the real users, well.. Long ago in centuries humans could self-produce vitamin C, but due to getting a lot from external(fruits), organism decided self-production not needed anymore = apparently with current ыщсшуен, gadgets, AI - same destiny starts to occur with brains.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768|1900x1080

XY fan

Post by XY fan »

admin wrote: 26 May 2024 16:34 understand simple instructions is declining sharply (AI is coming just in time)
Just in time for whom/what? Not for those who can't already read the simple instructions because for all they will know, AI might be feeding them rubbish.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

We may finally have the answer to Fermi's question ("Where are they?"): They invented AI. :)

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

In my experience, more and more people get "Tik-Tok-ed" (that in turn started with YouTube and its silent movie faces on the thumbs), consuming information gets reduced to "head()" them.

I would put the registration instructions before the registration data and look what happens in the longer run.

matewo

Post by matewo »

Hi,

could you provide some more details or examples, please?
  • In which way ("channel") do you get these support requests? Via support@, or X (twitter)? I don't see many of these requests in this forum (or don't notice them).
  • Does directing the users to the registration e-mail (and its instructions) solve their issue?
  • Or do you have to explain the single steps (from the e-mail) again to those users? Btw., I saw your info "..., I always ask what the problem was. 99.9% don't even answer that question.".
Additionally, your FAQ "Can't unlock the trial version?", https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=unlock, shows the steps very detailed.

Your Quick Start Guide does not mention registration, nor the FAQ. But it's a quick start guide, though.

Thanks and best regards, Markus
Last edited by matewo on 28 May 2024 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

- They reach me by email.
- I reply and give them this link: https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=unlock
- Most of the time it does not help.
- Then it's a back and forth of emails. They can even get rude (while being helped P2P).
- 100% of the time (unless they just disappear without a word) it turns out to be some stupid mistake on their part.

This happens almost every day. And the frequency is rising. :om:

eil

Post by eil »

I'd say the dumbest solution here is the best = simply make a video that will show installation and registration process to the fullest. Yes, many users are like animals = monkey sees you eat the food, monkey tries to do the same. All the "special cases", like errors while installation cause their UAC or anti-virus is the boss, should be gathered/described in FAQ.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768|1900x1080

jupe

Post by jupe »

Consider it like a litmus test, if people can't manage to unlock XYplorer, I don't think it is the right app for them.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jupe wrote: 31 May 2024 06:32 Consider it like a litmus test, if people can't manage to unlock XYplorer, I don't think it is the right app for them.
Unfortunately they have already managed to pay for it at that moment.

jupe

Post by jupe »

So maybe devise a pre purchase qualification test, checking their ability to copy and paste. :cry:

phred

Post by phred »

jupe wrote: 01 Jun 2024 02:39 So maybe devise a pre purchase qualification test, checking their ability to copy and paste. :cry:
+1
And that they know how to read.