.pdf and .psd previews and thumbnails

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
shu246

.pdf and .psd previews and thumbnails

Post by shu246 »

Dove headfirst into XYplorer with lifetime subscription, and am liking it marvelous well. Solves many frustrations with MS File Explorer, plus many nice features. BUT...I would SERIOUSLY like to see previews of .pdf files (which MS Explorer does) and .psd files (which MS Explorer does not).

Running XYplorer 19.50.0200 on 64 bit Win10 machines. Have Googled for answers and used Search on this site.
..Nothing seems out of order in Tools > Configuration > Previews > Previewed Formats
..Uninstalled Adobe reader (I use Nitro Pro for .pdf) and installed PDFXvwer. No joy. Uninstalled PDFXvwer.
..Bought and installed FastPictureViewer Codec pack 3.8. No joy.
..View > Caches > Refresh Thumbnails and Create Thumbnails appear muted, indicating not selectable.

Did I miss a setting or a step somewhere? Or is this something that just aint gonna happen? Thanks.

highend

Re: .pdf and .psd previews and thumbnails

Post by highend »

You need a 32-bit preview handler for .pdf / .psd files so whatever pdf reader (and Adobe Acrobat causes problems)
you're using, it needs to install 32-bit preview handlers.

I don't know if the current version of PDF XChangeViewer really does it or is working as expected but the v6 version
of it did.

Regarding .psd files, I have installed the FastPictureViewer (32-bit) myself and XY has no problems to show
thumbnails and previews for them...

Use e.g. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
to find out if you have 32-bit preview handlers installed, not 64-bit ones

https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=PDFpreview
https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=PDFthumbs
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

shu246

Post by shu246 »

Thanks for your help. .pdf previews are showing. Big productivity boost finding a particular invoice by image in a folder of "SequenceNr-Date.pdf" files. Got it working by
..installed PDFXvwer.exe to generate previews
..ran the StandAlone program shexview.exe (per yr tip) to
....locate and disable the Preview Handler of my NitroPro pdf app. (Having previously expunged Adobe Reader from the machine) and
....locate PDF-Xchange, Preview Handler line, and note entry in CLSID column
..in XYPlorer > Tools > Configuration > Preview Formats
....Categories > Office Files, unchecked .pdf
....Categories > User-Defined Preview Handlers, placed checkmark; and
....added a user defined line for .pdf>{CLSID as noted)
..shut down and restarted XYplorer

(Had previously found and looked over the upper window in Configuration > Previewed Formats, but not paid attention to the lower window for custom entries. Thanks for the clue.)

.psd files, for Wife's artwork, will take more flogging. Links in other forum threads seemed to point to the FastPictureViewer Codec pack, but seems rather is the FastPictureViewerPro that may be needed. Will report back if/when I get it working.

Meanwhile, continuing to find nice things about XYplorer.
..Double window is immense help shuffling files from my work area folder to storage folders;
..Favorites Folder for jumps to frequently used locations is big help;
..Bold line in Tree View is a nice touch;
..Context menu (Rt-Clk) is much cleaner than the bulked up thing in MS Windows Explorer; some handy features like
....bulk NewFolder generator, with memory;
....NewFile.txt.

Help much appreciated - shu

highend

Post by highend »

As I said, it works fine here with FastPictureViewer Codec pack (32-bit) for .psd thumbnails and previews...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal