Dual Pane Wishes

Features wanted...
j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Dual Pane Wishes

Post by j_c_hallgren »

zer0 wrote:Also, something rather similar can be achieved when running 2 SP instances of XYplorer side-by-side. In fact, what you're describing sounds exactly like that, except within a single XYplorer instance wrapper.
But the downside to having 2 SP's going is more memory used (older sys like mine, it matters!); having more items in taskbar that one has to swap thru to get back to desired task (I do that quite often: Alt+tab); and then getting them configured to size and location wanted (not as easy on older OS's or smaller screens)...so for those reasons, among others, I find having one task in tray/bar that can do the most work is the best for me.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

A glance on my roadmap should suffice for a reasonable man to forget about schnickschnack like dual tree. There's real good stuff waiting to be done...

ReviewPilot

Post by ReviewPilot »

admin wrote:A glance on my roadmap should suffice for a reasonable man to forget about schnickschnack like dual tree. There's real good stuff waiting to be done...
Don, zer0,
please dont get me wrong.

I strongly believe this idea is by no means schnickschnack.
For the new questions asked, I think I have answered them before.

I strongly believe j_c, peter and me put some very valid arguments pro dual tree in this thread. Valid enough to track the idea for future implementations.
I know it's not suited for everyone, but I'm talking about an "option", that would not disturb any user who does not want to set it..

cheers, RP

PS: I just had another idea: as long as no dual tree exists, would there be a possibility, if I copy/move from one pane to another, that the tree repositions itself to the other pane's focus? Just like it does when I drag files from one tab to another?
check out this guys work - xkcd webcomics

zer0

Post by zer0 »

ReviewPilot wrote:I know it's not suited for everyone, but I'm talking about an "option", that would not disturb any user who does not want to set it..
I think this sort of reasoning, no disrespect implied, can be applicable to any wish that has ever been made. Considering that one is able to work with only one tree at a time, I do not see a usability benefit. And as mentioned before, having 2 instances of XYplorer would provide similar effect.
ReviewPilot wrote:PS: I just had another idea: as long as no dual tree exists, would there be a possibility, if I copy/move from one pane to another, that the tree repositions itself to the other pane's focus? Just like it does when I drag files from one tab to another?
Use 'Lock Tree' and that would not happen. Just learnt that one today ;)
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ReviewPilot wrote:PS: I just had another idea: as long as no dual tree exists, would there be a possibility, if I copy/move from one pane to another, that the tree repositions itself to the other pane's focus? Just like it does when I drag files from one tab to another?
The (unlocked) tree is always in synch with the active pane. I don't get your idea...

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote:I don't remember having talked about plans for Dual Tree, and there are no such plans where I live. But who knows, I even added Dual Pane... :wink:
OK - maybe you didn't talk about...
But I just had a look - at least it was in Dual Pane - Formal Proposal Thread, 3rd element under Main Features. And it was mentioned some times more.

Could it be it's Schnickschnack, as dual pane is? :roll:

ReviewPilot

Post by ReviewPilot »

zer0 wrote:Use 'Lock Tree' and that would not happen. Just learnt that one today ;)
No, I meant the other way round.
Also if tree is unlocked, the following:

I drag file from pane 2 to pane 1. - tree does not update the position (which is what I would want)

But: I drag file from pane 2 to any Tab (the tab header) of pane 1 - tree DOES update. But I want fast action, so I won't maneuver the file to the tab header itself everytime just to get the tree updated. Do you understand what I mean?

btw, another Q:
is there a setting by which the tree collapses parts of it's folders , when the corresponding tab is closed? i.e. I have 5 tabs open, only one tab showing the D:\temp\ dir currently. When I close that tab, how can I get the tree to collapse D\temp automatically? If this is not possible, would it be a worthy feature?

Cheers
check out this guys work - xkcd webcomics

Takamax

Post by Takamax »

My wish is when we use the single pane (the majority of the time), the pane’s bar should run all over the width window like in the previous version, to not lose a precious space (40 panes opened …, so still with 7.90 version !)

Regards

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Takamax wrote:My wish is when we use the single pane (the majority of the time), the pane’s bar should run all over the width window like in the previous version, to not lose a precious space (40 panes opened …, so still with 7.90 version !)

Regards
There's a tweak to handle this:

Code: Select all

+ Added tweak to layout the top bars as it was possible before Dual 
      Pane was introduced. Note that this layout is only applied in 
      Single Pane Mode. However, you can toggle panes while using the SP 
      layout, so can enjoy advantages of both worlds.
        [General]
        LayoutSP=0
      Possible values:
        0 = Same as Dual Pane (= tweak is OFF)
        1 = [Address Bar] [Toolbar & Tabs]
        2 = [Address Bar] [Tabs & Toolbar]
        3 = [Toolbar & Address Bar] [Tabs]
        4 = [Address Bar & Toolbar] [Tabs]

tacchan23

Post by tacchan23 »

Due to my upgrading to WIndows 7 and its horrible file explorer, I was looking for something new.
Honestly, xyplorer was the one who impressed me more but maybe I'll end up buying TotalCommander couse I really really liked the Dual Tree option.
All this just to say I'm sure it would be a very good feature (mostly due to nowdays current (idiotic) 16:9 screen standard)

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

tacchan23 wrote:Honestly, xyplorer was the one who impressed me more but maybe I'll end up buying TotalCommander couse I really really liked the Dual Tree option.
All this just to say I'm sure it would be a very good feature (mostly due to nowdays current (idiotic) 16:9 screen standard)
Hi and welcome to the XY forums!

I'm a bit confused by your posting...what is it that "would be a very good feature"? Dual Tree?

If so, I'd fully compare all the other features of XY to TC and see if XY may be sufficient even without DT as things change here quite quickly and just because XY doesn't have it now doesn't mean it may not in future, ok?
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
tacchan23 wrote:Honestly, xyplorer was the one who impressed me more but maybe I'll end up buying TotalCommander couse I really really liked the Dual Tree option.
Hi and welcome to the XY forums!

I'm a bit confused by your posting...what is it that "would be a very good feature"? Dual Tree?

If so, I'd fully compare all the other features of XY to TC and see if XY may be sufficient even without DT as things change here quite quickly and just because XY doesn't have it now doesn't mean it may not in future, ok?
For all I know XYplorer and TotalCommander are very different applications. It does not seem to make much sense to base a choice just on this Dual Tree feature.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Since Total Commander is an orthodox file manager (OFM), rather than a navigational one (XYplorer is) -- how can it have dual tree? From my understanding of OFMs, they have 2 panes and a command window, so where does the tree come in or its tree is radically different from navigational FM's tree? :?
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

zer0 wrote:Since Total Commander is an orthodox file manager (OFM), rather than a navigational one (XYplorer is) -- how can it have dual tree? From my understanding of OFMs, they have 2 panes and a command window, so where does the tree come in or its tree is radically different from navigational FM's tree? :?
TC does have dual panes with a tree on each pane if you wish as it can have either one or two trees as choices.

I think even the old file manager on W3.1 had dual tree/panes...but it's been ages since I used it.

tacchan23

Post by tacchan23 »

Sorry for the not so clear post, yes I meant a Dual Tree feature could be worth to add (also becouse I found myself some extra space with 16:9 screen and it fit quite well 2trees+2panes)

I am quite a casual user (meaning that with winXP the standard file explorer was enough for me) so I don't need many of the powerfull/advanced features of TC or xyplorer (that's the reason why for my "simple" usage I didn't honestly find many differences between the 2 products, but I'm sure there are many differences for "advanced" users)

So in the end, my opinion is that with Win7 more "casual" users will start looking for an explorer replacement and that a Dual Tree is quite good option to have (as myself I had some difficulties/confusion using xyplorer dual panes with 1 single tree, while I had a more "easy" experience with TC dual tree + dual pane; on the countrary xyplorer was more to my "general and still casual^^" liking, so the Dual tree feature would have made it a sure choice. Now I'm still uncertain, but if I can fix some issues I'm having with TC the dual tree will be a deciding factor)

Sorry for the long post, just my personal idea:)