Want to buy, repeated crashes related to context menus

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
jblich01

Want to buy, repeated crashes related to context menus

Post by jblich01 »

Not a customer but want to be. That said, XYplorer crashes pretty frequently and its all related to context menu operations. I leave XYplorer up and running and the context menu works for a while. Then I go back later try and use a context menu and it crashes with runtime error popups that can be dismissed but keep popping up.

64-bit win10. I do use the 'Show 64-bit Context Menu' (which seems slow to popup).

Current version is v24.40.0400 but version hasn't mattered. I've gotten new ones for the past few months and they all behave the same way. Happy to help debug further.

highend

Re: Want to buy, repeated crashes related to context menus

Post by highend »

Maybe show a screenshot of one of those messages?

Untick this:
Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | [x] Show the 64-bit context menu

Do the crash messages still come up?
!Attach files [XY post].png
!Attach files [XY post].png (38.1 KiB) Viewed 420 times
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

jblich01

Post by jblich01 »

OK, I'll get screenshots, the runtime error seems generic but fair ask.

Can't untick, configuration won't come up because my "license" expired. Registry key or ini file entry to get rid of that?

There are items in the 64-bit menu that I want but definitely willing to lose the feature to keep XY running.

Thanks.

highend

Post by highend »

Licenses do not "expire". If you were running the trial, quit XY, delete your XYplorer.ini (make a backup of it before doing that) and start XY again. Ofc your current settings will be lost (for the moment)...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

jblich01

Post by jblich01 »

Bought this software, hadn't used the Show 64bit menu in a while. But did today, needed items on the menu.

Then some time later, tried to right-click on something and it crashed:

---------------------------
Error
Runtime error 226 at 03DF916B
OK

jblich01

Post by jblich01 »

> Problems with slow or buggy right-click functions are virtually always caused by faulty third-party software (so-called shell extensions)

Nothing else but XYPlorer crashes so I'm not sure that is the issue.

I've tried following the directions on that link and ticked the "Hide shell extensions from shell context menu" checkbox. but still this thing crashes.

Am I also not allowed to use show 64-bit context menu? That's forbidden?

And when XYplorer crashes with this context menu thing and I get this runtime error box, I get it over and over again and have to go taskmgr kill the thing. Why not just let it crash? I don't want it to crash, I just don't want it to take the extra couple of minutes to go find the process/pid that's now stuck in a loop of generating error messages and have to kill it to restart it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jblich01 wrote: 25 Mar 2024 20:45 Am I also not allowed to use show 64-bit context menu? That's forbidden?
Not allowed? What do you mean?

jblich01

Post by jblich01 »

That if I use the 'Show 64-bit context menu' it eventually crashes xyplorer. Which it does. That's what I mean.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The 64-bit context menu cannot crash XY because it is a different process. Something is wrong here.

jblich01

Post by jblich01 »

I've followed the instructions and clicked the "Hide shell extensions from shell context menu". Though I still question the note about buggy extensions (when nothing else crashes).

XYPlorer is fine if I don't use 'Show 64-bit extensions". Once I use that and come back later and try to use any context menu function, something crashes. Something is continually popping some runtime error that never stops until i go and kill XYPlorer. Whether its coming from some background process or not, I don't know. Just telling you what happens. The fact that XYPlorer doesn't crash but requires extra steps of killing it via taskmgr just makes the episodes take more time.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You ticked "Hide shell extensions from shell context menu" and you still get crashes after using the 32-bit context menu? That's very unusual. Can't explain it.

But if you only need the 64-bit context menu you can enable it here: Configuration | Other | Shell Integration | 64-bit Windows | Show the 64-bit context menu This way the 32-bit context menu will never be opened.