Custom Folder Icons problem

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
n2tpa

Custom Folder Icons problem

Post by n2tpa »

Admin,

I just installed 24.60 on my Windows 10 Home machine so I could try the Custom Folder Icons. It is not acting as intended and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong...

Previously, Custom File Icons denoted an executable to handle each file type and the icon displayed was that of the specified executable. That behavior still applies in this version. When I type in the items shown in your example, for instance "*\/x><xypath>\XYicon_FolderDenied.ico//matches all Inaccessible folders", the icon that is displayed in the executable that Windows uses to display *.ico files, *NOT* the icon itself. Thus, If I type in the three lines shown in your example, ALL icons displayed in XYPlorer turn into the icon of the *.ico viewer.

I've attached a picture showing my Custom File Icon screen and the result when this feature is enabled.

Again, any ideas why it doesn't work properly for me? Perhaps some other setting that is overriding this?

Or do I not understand this feature properly.

Bill
Attachments
Improper File Icons.jpg
Improper File Icons.jpg (324.26 KiB) Viewed 449 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom Folder Icons problem

Post by admin »

Hmm, do more people have this problem? :eh:

Looks like the icon viewer grabbed the ICO extension to show its own icon. Not very nice. Can you tell the viewer not to do this?

n2tpa

Post by n2tpa »

Admin,

Good call. Once I typed the commands properly (who would have thought *\/e and *\ /e work differently), it's working. Thanks for a nice new feature.

Bill
Last edited by n2tpa on 26 Jun 2023 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

avivariba

Post by avivariba »

n2tpa wrote: 26 Jun 2023 13:48 but it seems that the switches used (/e and /x ) aren't working. I only get the FolderGeneric.ico icon shown either normal or semi-transparent.
All works fine here.

Are you sure those are actually empty and/or inaccessible (access denied) folders? If you create a new, truly empty folder, does it not work either, also when restarting XY? For it looks like those are ordinary, accessible folders with (hidden) files in them.

I tend to use C:\Windows\System32 as a folder thumbnail test location, for all three types of folders appear there by default.

n2tpa

Post by n2tpa »

I updated my response stating the switches weren't working. I mis-typed the switches. I'm not a programmer and thus, don;t know the proper syntax by heart.

Thanks for the help all.

Bill

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Cool. In the meantime I added your experience to the release notes: https://www.xyplorer.com/release_24.60.php#CFI