FTP support

Features wanted...
ethanpil

Re: FTP support

Post by ethanpil »

I have evaluated XYplorer many times over the past few years, but lack of FTP support keeps me from going all the way every time. I love the speed and configurability (which is only getting better every few years that I come back...)

BUT, its seriously crazy that FTP support hasn't been added by now, it is a basic file operation for many people today, especially power users like the ones that would use and purchase XYplorer.

I don't know what language XYplorer is written in, but surely there is a stable component or open source program which can be called upon to make this work, especially now with dual pane support an open FTP tab is only even more natural, IMHO this should be at the top of the list of features, and I can only hope and dream.... I guess my own $49 isn't enough of an incentive to push the author into working on this, but i'd bet there are many more...

Can we have a definitive answer from the author if FTP support is ever going to happen?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ethanpil wrote:Can we have a definitive answer from the author if FTP support is ever going to happen?
Well, never say never, but it's not on the roadmap as of today.

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

I'd settle for embedding Filezilla into one of the panes. That would actually be pretty sweet :)
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

ethanpil

Post by ethanpil »

Perhaps this might be a way to simply embed a plugin and make many users happy?

http://winscp.net/eng/docs/fm_plugins

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ethanpil wrote:Perhaps this might be a way to simply embed a plugin and make many users happy?

http://winscp.net/eng/docs/fm_plugins
Thanks, but no 3rd party stuff here.

bvk

Post by bvk »

I for one, would like it too.

But it's not as simple as many would think. First, FTP sends both data and passwords
in the clear and can be real difficult to implement through a proxy or firewall. Do you
use active? Or passive? for a reasonable client youw would probably want to inmplement
both.

What I assume everybody really means is ssh. That is a solid, encryption-based
protocol that is platform independent. Now we have to deal with encryption
export laws, key management, key agents (I personally like pageant because more
than one software tool uses it and I don't have to keep reloading the key every time I
open a new tool). Not only that, but now we open up connecting to Linux filesystems
which have entirely different security and presentation semantics, and managing which
server accounts map where. Then there's dragging the USB drive from home to the office
and now you're behind a firewall where you weren't before.

One vote for adding it, understanding the difficulties.

corneliusd

Post by corneliusd »

I too would like FTP support, but plain FTP wouldn't be enough. In fact it probably wouldn't do me any good unless there was SFTP (secure). But for now, I'm using WinSCP. The more features that are built into XY, the fewer other applications I need to have lying around. But XY is still awesome enough in itself that is a most blessed replacement for Windows Explorer!
David Cornelius
CorneliusConcepts.com

paul0

Post by paul0 »

really support this good ideas. :D

Eugen

Post by Eugen »

+1 For FTP Support :)

Riki

Post by Riki »

+1 also SFTP would RULE!!!!!!!!!

Crash&Burn

Post by Crash&Burn »

While there are a few other (newer) FTP Request threads. This one has the most posts (24+ vs 3 or 4).

I realize XYplorer will likely not get internal FTP or sFTP support. Which is unfortunate, as it doesn't need to be built from the ground up. The libcURL pkg and SSH2 (libssh2.dll) could be interfaced with and the output displayed in XYPlorer's FileList.

On the other hand, perhaps there is a possible middle-ground. If XYPlorer could manage your Connection Lists (Hosts/Passwords/Etc) -- encrypted with a Master Password. Then XYPlorer could cleanly hand off the connection requests to your program of choice - or even explorer/IE (which has an sFTP Extension).

Personally, I use Putty ssh, and scp more so these days since we upgraded to a VPS (Virtual Private Server).

With this proposal though, with XYPlorer handling the connection lists, you could select files in XYPlorer, choose your Connection to copy to, Enter the Master Password and the upload could be done via Putty's SCP.

Although perhaps an XYPlorer script could handle the actual file copy, by creating a list of files to hand off to SCP. Since I have done so with Batch and AHK before with Explorer and other managers.

Either the XYPlorer Connection handler, or an XYPlorer script would at least be some acknowledgement --- if the script was provided with the XYPlorer download, or featured as an official XYPlorer script.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Crash&Burn wrote:On the other hand, perhaps there is a possible middle-ground. If XYPlorer could manage your Connection Lists (Hosts/Passwords/Etc) -- encrypted with a Master Password. Then XYPlorer could cleanly hand off the connection requests to your program of choice - or even explorer/IE (which has an sFTP Extension).

Personally, I use Putty ssh, and scp more so these days since we upgraded to a VPS (Virtual Private Server).

With this proposal though, with XYPlorer handling the connection lists, you could select files in XYPlorer, choose your Connection to copy to, Enter the Master Password and the upload could be done via Putty's SCP.

Although perhaps an XYPlorer script could handle the actual file copy, by creating a list of files to hand off to SCP. Since I have done so with Batch and AHK before with Explorer and other managers.

Either the XYPlorer Connection handler, or an XYPlorer script would at least be some acknowledgement --- if the script was provided with the XYPlorer download, or featured as an official XYPlorer script.
I think all of this could be done using Scripting.

I leave FTP to TC. There should be at least something where it's better than XY.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:I leave FTP to TC. There should be at least something where it's better than XY.
I can't say I concur with that philosophy. It almost seems to suggest that some functionality is intentionally left out and users should go and purchase a competing product if they desire a feature. That's a realm away from saying that you'd love to implement it and how easy, albeit time-consuming, it would be. When choosing software, I do not expect it to be better than the rest (it doesn't hurt though :D), but I do expect it to strive to be the bee's knees.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
admin wrote:I leave FTP to TC. There should be at least something where it's better than XY.
I can't say I concur with that philosophy. It almost seems to suggest that some functionality is intentionally left out and users should go and purchase a competing product if they desire a feature. That's a realm away from saying that you'd love to implement it and how easy, albeit time-consuming, it would be. When choosing software, I do not expect it to be better than the rest (it doesn't hurt though :D), but I do expect it to strive to be the bee's knees.
I might have been joking. Sorry to have omitted the joke marker. I usually find it funnier without it.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:I might have been joking.
I am glad that you have been. It's not without precedent for you to suggest another file manager when XY's functionality doesn't meet a particular requirement.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build