How to overwrite all existing files without a popup for each one?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
kger

How to overwrite all existing files without a popup for each one?

Post by kger »

When I copy a group of files and directories from elsewhere and drop them onto a directory in Xyplorer, I get the "Overwrite Existing Item?" dialog box, but there is no way to tell Xyplorer to overwrite all from then on. I searched here in the forums, and in the configuration options, but have not found how to implement the "overwrite all" option. Surely it exists. What am I missing?
No way to overwrite all?
No way to overwrite all?
Snap52.png (13.12 KiB) Viewed 418 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: How to overwrite all existing files without a popup for each one?

Post by admin »

Copy and drop? Your description lacks accuracy.

kger

Post by kger »

I selected a group of files and directories from a file explorer window, hit Ctrl-C, then started a Paste operation in a Xyplorer pane where older versions of a lot of those files already existed. Every time a previously existing one was found, that dialog box appears. I am wondering if there is a way to tell Xyplorer I want all previously existing files overwritten with the ones copied into that pane.

matewo

Post by matewo »

Hi kger,

I get dialogs "Replace or Skip Files" (Windows system), "Custom Copy" (XYplorer) or "Merge Folders", depending which settings I choose in:
  • Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Custom Copy Operations | Use Custom Copy
  • Configuration | File Operations | File Operations | Custom Copy Operations | ...
Maybe some more screenshot(s) might help...
Which XYplorer version do you use?

Best regards, Markus

pixelsearch

Post by pixelsearch »

Hi matewo,
That's nice from you to try give help on this issue.

Yesterday I did just like you, trying to reproduce kger's issue but I never got the "Overwrite Existing Item?" message showed in kger's image, no matter I tested with a recent version of XYplorer or 2 older ones. I got all other messages you described, depending on the modification made temporarily in my XYplorer settings before the tests.

Then I googled on : XYplorer "Overwrite Existing Item"
It returned an interesting link from 2020, which shows an image of the same error message than OP's "Overwrite Existing Item?" with a discussion about it (where Don gave his opinion too)
viewtopic.php?t=21945

Maybe the link could help to solve kger's issue because if it is an XYplorer message (as it seems) then Don knows probably in which case(s) this message is displayed. I don't think it's a Windows message (because of the sentence "No to save it under an automatic free name") but I may be wrong.

Good luck

kger

Post by kger »

Great info in the previous two posts--thank you very much! I will check into these when I get a little more time, and report back my findings.

kger

Post by kger »

It took me awhile to get back to this, and to be honest, I cannot reproduce it. I should have written down the details of what I was trying. Anyway, trying version 26.00.0002, I have not been able to reproduce the issue. If I stumble into it again, I will follow up here.

Daniel0312

Post by Daniel0312 »

it seems to be happening when a zip file is opened in explorer and you drag and drop files on a folder in XY.
Just tried with latest XY release.
Hope it helps
Daniel
Windows7 SP1 x64 / XY latest stable

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Daniel0312 wrote: 26 May 2024 09:28 it seems to be happening when a zip file is opened in explorer and you drag and drop files on a folder in XY.
Just tried with latest XY release.
Hope it helps
Indeed, if "Configuration | Colors and Styles | Templates | Dropped Messages | Auto-increment filenames on collision" is unchecked. I'll see what I can do.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

So, does it work for you? (v26.00.0201 and later)

Daniel0312

Post by Daniel0312 »

Works for me ! Thanks Don
Don't know about the OP though
Daniel
Windows7 SP1 x64 / XY latest stable