How to delete tabset list

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Geoffww

How to delete tabset list

Post by Geoffww »

I'm trying to understand how Tabsets are supposed to work after you close XY and reopen it. I made several for pane 1 and 2. While XY was open I could change the tabs around then click one of the Tabsets from the list under the icon that looks like a brown breifcase, that I put on the toolbar, and I would get that tabset back, great amazing feature. I closed XY, reopened and not a single one of the tabsets I created work now. I have a list of 4 or 5 for each pane that do nothing when clicked.

1. Why do they no longer work? When created I click New, gave it a name, set up my tabs in that pane click Tabsets->save as.
2. How do I delete this list of Tabset names that don't work. I thought that going to the Tabset folder and deleting the Tabset folders containing their .ini files would do it but that didn't clear the list.

Uninstall and reinstall and start over seems like the only option.

Thanks for the help.

Geoffww

Re: How to delete tabset list

Post by Geoffww »

I found the List Management->Recent Tabsets, so I was able to delete them. Is this deleting the actual Tabset or just a link to it? The CHM doesn't have a topic of how to delete a Tabset that I could find.

Now I need to figure out how a Tabset is supposed to work after you've closed and reopened XYplorer.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

I think you need to familiarize yourself with the save options in XY, i.e. what settings are saved when and the granularity of it as well.

Configuration Start & Exit:
PicPick_923.jpg
PicPick_923.jpg (55.63 KiB) Viewed 716 times
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Geoffww

Post by Geoffww »

Thanks RalphM, I made sure save changes to disk immediately was checked and all the options within were checked.

However it wasn't the saving that was the issue. This Tabset usage isn't intuitive at all, When I created a New Tabset and set it up how I wanted then clicked save, I thought it was saved in that state permanently and that I could click the name of this Tabset in the drop menu any time and it would revert to the point when I clicked Save. It does not. After I clicked save, I then made changes to the tabs going to different places, all the while this Tabset was still selected not knowing I was actually changing the Tabset that I created and "saved". This is bad behavior of software IMO. You click save to save something at a point in time then it allows you to dynamically change that save point without clicking save.

I should be able to save the Tabset in a default state permanently as a base, make however many alterations I need with regards to tabs and what I need opened for that session then go back at a later time and click the Tabset to return it to it's default state when I originally created and "saved it". It doesn't which is painful design.

When you have the Tabset open you can't change any path or any tab or your original setup becomes broken even though you never clicked save again for that Tabset.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

I'm sorry but I don't see what goes wrong at your end.
I have several tabsets that never change their saved state unless I explicitly save it.

Steps to create:
1. Tabsets/New and enter a unique name for your tabset -> The pane is cleared and has only one tab
2. Change the location of this tab to whatever folder
3. Add additional tabs by Shift + Left Click on folders in tree
4. Adapt the settings of all the tabs to your liking
5. Tabsets/Save

Once you created more than one tabsets you can switch between (=activate/select) them in either pane with the Tabsets toolbar button and select one from the list.

If you make changes to an open tabset that you would like to keep, you need to use Tabsets/Save again before switching to another one, otherwise all the changes are lost and the next time you open that tabset it looks again exactly as it was saved last.

If your settings are to remember XY's appearance between sessions then a loaded tabset could be in a dirty state when XY is restarted, that's where Tabsets/Revert to saved comes in handy.

Maybe also read the Further remarks in the help about Tabsets and Autosave on switch.

Hope this helps.
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

Geoffww

Post by Geoffww »

Your description of how I created the tabset is the same, however the next part is completely opposite of what is happening to mine.
If you make changes to an open tabset that you would like to keep, you need to use Tabsets/Save again before switching to another one, otherwise all the changes are lost
I don't want to keep the changes to an open tabset but the changes are being saved regardless and the original way I saved them is lost.

I'll have to make a short screen video.

Edit: Not only that issue, but if I save it and close XY and reopen it, the tab configuration I "saved" is lost, the tab name is still there in the tab list but clicking it does nothing as if it re-saves itself in the default view which is "This PC".

Geoffww

Post by Geoffww »

The videos are small 1 and 2 megs, too bad they can't be posted in the forum. I posted them on Vimeo.
I sure hope this gets figured out, the main reason I purchased this file manager was for the tabsets. I have multiple projects that have their own set of multiple folders that I access while working on said project so to be able to create a Tabset that never changes from it's original state is a time saver.

https://vimeo.com/906820652?share=copy#t=0
First video
1. Showing two default Tabsets that go to "This PC".
2. Select New tabset.
3. Name the new tabset.
4. Set up the tabs for the tabset.
5. I have not saved it yet but show I moved from the default tabset and back again to the new tabset and the new tabset is still good.
6. Now I saved the new tabset.
7. I change to the default tabset before closing XYplorer. (if I don't the tabset will get wiped out).
8. Close XYplorer
9. Reopen the saved tabset, it still works.
10. Leaving it on this "saved" tabset.
11. Close XYplorer again.
12. Reopen XYplorer.
13. The previously saved tabset configruration is gone, and is changed to the default view. Any further clicking on the Tabset name in the Tabset drop menu never brings back the original Tabset when it was "saved".

https://vimeo.com/906823542?share=copy#t=0
Second Video
1. Save the current tabset.
2. Show that I can switch to the default tabset and the saved tabset still looks as expected.
3. Change the tabset tabs but don't click save.
4. Switch to the default tabset.
5. Switch back to the saved tabset.
6. The previously saved tabset shows the altered version and never can get back to the original version when I clicked save.

Outcome is that tabsets do not save.

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Did you check your setting of Configuration/Tabs/Auto-save on switch.

Do you have write access to the XY data folder?

Do you run XY as admin or regular user?

If you copy your XYPlorer.exe to a new folder where you have full write access and start it by double-click, it opens a pristine instance of XY (in trial mode) and creates all the necessary files in a sub-folder.
Without making any configuration changes, if you test the tabsets in this instance, do you see the same problems?

vwatson

Post by vwatson »

I have the same problem. I want a tabset to contain only the tabs I saved initially, but it doesn't. Any other tabs I open in that pane get auto-saved and added to the set.

In config/Tabs and Panes/Tabs, I have Auto-save tabsets on Switch unchecked.
In Startup & Exit/Save Settings/Include most-recently-used lists on save/Apply to, I have Tabsets unchecked.

I may be missing something, but if this is the way they're supposed to work, they're of no use to me.

XYPlorer 25.80

Horst

Post by Horst »

I must admit that I also see no login in the Tabset behavior.

Saving tabsets on exit is disabled.
Auto-save tabsets on switch is disabled.

Steps i tried:
I save a certain state by using Tabsets / Save under the name Default
After restarting XY, I change the tab paths on both sides to some other paths.
Tabsets Open shows that I'm using Default [In Use - Pane 1]
but if open this, the saved path under the name Default is not restored, nothing changes.

Looking in the pane.ini of the Default shows
[General]
LastVer=25.80.0001
Location=C:\Temp
IDDefaultTab=0

But c:\temp was not the path while I saved Default
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73

vwatson

Post by vwatson »

Catalog, right-click, Insert as New Category Here, Tabs does pretty much what I need.

It defaults to the name Tabs, but you can create multiple categories and rename them. Then you right click that category name and select Open Folders in Tabs.

:)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

vwatson wrote: 23 Mar 2024 17:50 I have the same problem. I want a tabset to contain only the tabs I saved initially, but it doesn't. Any other tabs I open in that pane get auto-saved and added to the set.
Confirmed, something is wrong. I'll look into it later.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay, I dug up the cause of this issue:

Code: Select all

v19.80.0131 - 2019-03-30 13:55
    * Tabsets: Before, tabsets were revertible across sessions. If you did not 
      explicitly save a tabset you could always go back to the last-saved state 
      by clicking "Revert to Saved", and that worked across sessions. There was 
      a "temporary-saved state" in a folder called "t" (saved when doing a "File 
      | Save Settings") and a "final-saved state" in the folder above "t" (saved 
      when doing a "Tabsets | Save").
      Now this behavior is a bit crazy since all other settings in XYplorer are 
      handled differently. Therefore I changed it: From now on tabsets are NOT 
      revertible anymore across sessions, but only within the session. If you 
      save settings, or exit the app with "Save settings on exit" enabled, then 
      the current tabsets (one in each pane) are *finally* saved to disk. 
      Clicking "Revert to Saved" will go back to that saved state.
      Since this is an important change I cared for a soft transition:
      - I added a tweak that allows you to stay with the old behavior:
          TabsetsCanRevertAcrossSessions=1
      - On upgrading to this version this tweak is automatically set to 1, so 
        nothing will change for you unless you explicitly change that tweak to 0:
          TabsetsCanRevertAcrossSessions=0
      - In a fresh installation, of course, that tweak is now set to 0 to enable 
        the new behavior.
      - Note that, if TabsetsCanRevertAcrossSessions=0, any still existing 
        temporary states (in "t"-folders) are still *read*, otherwise you would 
        lose the last temporary-saved states of your tabsets and fall back hard 
        to the last final-saved states. After the next "Save Settings" these 
        folders will just disappear and never come back again.
So, all you got to to do is tweak (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq-topic.php?id=tweak):

Code: Select all

TabsetsCanRevertAcrossSessions=1
I admit I was surprised by this behavior myself and first thought it was a bug. So I'm ready to raise this tweak to the GUI. Any opinions?

highend

Post by highend »

Too important to hide it as a tweak^^
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep. BTW, TabsetsCanRevertAcrossSessions as a name is not totally correct. It's actually "Tabsets can revert after saving settings" and that's what it will be called.