R.I.P Opera, is Firefox offering a cure? [Welcome, Vivaldi!]

What other productivity software are you working with...
Filehero

Re: R.I.P Opera, is Firefox offering a cure? [Welcome, Vivaldi!]

Post by Filehero »

Borut wrote: (enormous footprint...).
Should be comparable with any other Chromium based browser. Anyway, my computer has 12 GB ram (built 2009!), I couldn't care less.
Borut wrote: (... so that one can forget about portable mode)
I don't understand. I do run it in portable mode.

Borut

Post by Borut »

Had used area on disk in mind. I am syncing portable applications on two computers via USB two times a day. What matters is the number of changed files (browsers are not logging history and everything is being erased on application exit). With Vivaldi, the number of changed files is not acceptable. At least that is my experience.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

Filehero

Post by Filehero »

Hi Borut,

now I see - and understand. Thanks for explanation.

Yes, this is still a shortcoming of Vivaldi. I somewhat also suffer from that because it (currently) does not allow for a clever backup strategy (by means of the minimum required file set to save). So I simply backup the entire profile with some exceptions.

Thats the code, note the excluded folders (after /XD)

Code: Select all

robocopy "%PROFILE%"  "%TARGET%\C.myApplications.web.VivaldiTP.Profile.Default" /MIR /XD GPUCache  %PROFILE%\Cache %PROFILE%\Extensions "%PROFILE%\Extension Rules" "%PROFILE%\Extension State" "%PROFILE%\Local Extension Settings" "%PROFILE%\Media Cache" %PROFILE%\Storage /XF "%PROFILE%\History" "%PROFILE%\ChromeDWriteFontCache" "%PROFILE%\Top Sites"
The resulting folder is 7-zipped and has a (current) size of about 5,5 MB. With exception of the extensions (I only have a few whose settings are saved in individual text files anyway) this backup restores everything important for me. I may help you on improving the sync once you will give it another try.

Though I guess this is mostly due to the Chromium core, I already have made a feature request for a feasible backup routine two times. However, I don't think this will be addressed before Sync and Mail is done.

But (inbuild) feature wise Vivaldi is great.

Cheers,
Filehero
Last edited by Filehero on 06 Jul 2017 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

highend

Post by highend »

I like http://qutebrowser.org/

Beware, this is a browser for people who know vim!
Keyboard driven...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

Setherial

Post by Setherial »

I use these web browsers:

Opera,
Vivaldi (my default, love its interface and it gets better with every update)
Firefox (love all those addons! been using FF since Version 1.5/2)
Yandex (I like testing different browsers)
Edge (when I need to search for something quickly because I got the other browsers crammed with lots of extensions lol)

I don't like Google Chrome. It uses lots of resources and I find its interface quite ugly.