Drag stops working

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47887
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Drag stops working

Post by admin » 28 Jan 2017 09:37

ksarnelli wrote:... it only affects XY ...
OK, but at the same time it only affects you. :)

A tough one. I don't see anything in the code that could explain this. :|

ksarnelli
Posts: 149
Joined: 13 Dec 2014 04:48

Re: Drag stops working

Post by ksarnelli » 28 Jan 2017 19:03

admin wrote:
ksarnelli wrote:... it only affects XY ...
OK, but at the same time it only affects you. :)

A tough one. I don't see anything in the code that could explain this. :|
Yea I hear you.

Seems to affect m48tx as well. Is there a place I can download older final/beta XY versions from, preferably portable? If so, I'll see if I can pinpoint exactly what version the issue started in. It might take a while since I haven't found a way to reliably reproduce the issue though.

m48tx
Posts: 207
Joined: 07 May 2010 18:07

Re: Drag stops working

Post by m48tx » 29 Jan 2017 16:29

Don, this does affect me as well. Drag simply quits working in XY. I have never experienced this in any other program. :(

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47887
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Drag stops working

Post by admin » 30 Jan 2017 10:31

Also in the Catalog?

Next beta we start the hunt:

Code: Select all

    > List: Added DEBUG LOG to drag and drop to hunt down an error where drag 
      stops working for some reason. To show the log run this script line after 
      dragging failed:
        text get("debuglog");

m48tx
Posts: 207
Joined: 07 May 2010 18:07

Re: Drag stops working

Post by m48tx » 30 Jan 2017 18:32

Thanks Don. But you know that since you added debug logic, I will never experience the problem again. ;) That seems to be how the universe works.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47887
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Drag stops working

Post by admin » 31 Jan 2017 20:06

ksarnelli wrote:After restarting XY behaves as expected for little while and then the problem occurs again.
The debug code will be in the beta versions for one week:

Code: Select all

v17.50.0106 - 2017-01-30 15:38
    > List: Added a DEBUG LOG to drag and drop to hunt down an error where drag 
      stops working for some reason. To show the log run this script line after 
      dragging failed:
        text get("debuglog");
If the bug does not appear within that time for any of the users reporting it I have to close that window. Good luck!

ksarnelli
Posts: 149
Joined: 13 Dec 2014 04:48

Re: Drag stops working

Post by ksarnelli » 31 Jan 2017 20:39

admin wrote:
ksarnelli wrote:After restarting XY behaves as expected for little while and then the problem occurs again.
The debug code will be in the beta versions for one week:

Code: Select all

v17.50.0106 - 2017-01-30 15:38
    > List: Added a DEBUG LOG to drag and drop to hunt down an error where drag 
      stops working for some reason. To show the log run this script line after 
      dragging failed:
        text get("debuglog");
If the bug does not appear within that time for any of the users reporting it I have to close that window. Good luck!

Very strange but running the beta (0106) for the last day or so and I have not had the issue - I usually experience it a few times a day.

I upgraded from 17.50.0000 to 17.50.0106. Did anything else change between those versions that could have had some effect?
I do notice one difference:
When thumbnails are being generated and I push the back button on my mouse (mouse-4 i believe) before the entire page of thumbnails is finished:
- In the old version: XY would go back to the previous folder
- In the new version: XY stops generating thumbnails and stays in the current folder. Then, a second click of the back button on the mouse and XY takes me back to the previous folder.

m48tx
Posts: 207
Joined: 07 May 2010 18:07

Re: Drag stops working

Post by m48tx » 31 Jan 2017 22:57

Ugh. I have not had the drag problem reappear since 17.50.0106. This is my experience with 17.50.0200 with thumbnails/mouse:

- Start thumbnail generation in folder A.
- Back mouse button stops thumbnails.
- Back mouse button again goes to previous folder.
- Forward mouse button goes to folder A and resumes thumbnail generation. Back mouse button now ignored until thumbnail generation complete or ESC pressed.

Definitely not bugs and actually somewhat helpful.

ksarnelli
Posts: 149
Joined: 13 Dec 2014 04:48

Re: Drag stops working

Post by ksarnelli » 02 Feb 2017 15:34

I still have not had the issue with 17.50.0106 and I've been pushing XY as hard as I can over the past few days. I really do think it's fixed in this version...I'm actually kind of scared to upgrade to a newer version because this one is working so well :lol:

m48tx - Still no issue with 17.50.0200?

m48tx
Posts: 207
Joined: 07 May 2010 18:07

Re: Drag stops working

Post by m48tx » 02 Feb 2017 15:55

Hey ksarnelli. No issues with .0200, .0202 (currently using) so far. Keep the .0106 installer in case you need to downgrade, but give .0202 a try. I have been pushing .0202 hard as well and drag has not failed yet. I think Don did some magic and is not letting on. ;)

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47887
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Drag stops working

Post by admin » 02 Feb 2017 16:59

Some bugs already disappear when you threaten them with a fix. :beer:

m48tx
Posts: 207
Joined: 07 May 2010 18:07

Re: Drag stops working

Post by m48tx » 03 Feb 2017 15:54

Well rats. .0202 drag quit working. I had just batch renamed some files using a string with * to preserve existing name after creating a couple of new folders and dragging files to the new folders. My gut feel is that drag quits working after creating a few new folders (I use FileMenuTools to create folder then F4 to refresh tree so I don't lose focus of the files I want to copy) and then dragging files to the new folders. Batch rename may be an issue as well. :(

ksarnelli
Posts: 149
Joined: 13 Dec 2014 04:48

Re: Drag stops working

Post by ksarnelli » 03 Feb 2017 16:09

m48tx wrote:Well rats. .0202 drag quit working. I had just batch renamed some files using a string with * to preserve existing name after creating a couple of new folders and dragging files to the new folders. My gut feel is that drag quits working after creating a few new folders (I use FileMenuTools to create folder then F4 to refresh tree so I don't lose focus of the files I want to copy) and then dragging files to the new folders. Batch rename may be an issue as well. :(
Does .0202 still have the debug code in it? If so, hopefully that can help Don.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 47887
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Drag stops working

Post by admin » 03 Feb 2017 16:18

Sure, let me see the debug log now!

Code: Select all

::text get("debuglog");
It's important you show me the log *right after* dragging failed. And if the log is empty then that's also interesting for me!

m48tx
Posts: 207
Joined: 07 May 2010 18:07

Re: Drag stops working

Post by m48tx » 03 Feb 2017 16:41

Here ya go:

09:34:26.051 >> MayDrag: 2, 0, False, False, 1
09:39:02.373 >> MayDrag: 1, 0, False, False, 1
09:39:02.389 >> MayDrag: 1, 0, False, False, 1
09:39:02.397 >> MayDrag: 1, 0, False, False, 1
09:39:02.405 >> MayDrag: 1, 0, False, False, 1
09:39:10.268 >> MayDrag: 1, 0, False, False, 1
09:39:10.276 >> MayDrag: 1, 0, False, False, 1
09:39:10.284 >> MayDrag: 1, 0, False, False, 1
09:39:10.292 >> MayDrag: 1, 0, False, False, 1
09:39:59.338 >> MayDrag: 1, 0, False, False, 1
09:39:59.346 >> MayDrag: 1, 0, False, False, 1
09:39:59.354 >> MayDrag: 1, 0, False, False, 1

Post Reply