Autoexpand folder in tree view (like in Windows Explorer)

Features wanted...
Post Reply
shader

Autoexpand folder in tree view (like in Windows Explorer)

Post by shader »

Well, it doesnt deserve much explanation about this one, I think it would be a necessary feature due to it's speed improvement, and it's another forgotten feature in the majority of file managers giving points to the main competence... Widnows Explorer. If it's so simple in options, why no one can copy the same functionality and add the extra features????

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 50623
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Re: Autoexpand folder in tree view (like in Windows Explorer

Post by admin »

shader wrote:Well, it doesnt deserve much explanation about this one, I think it would be a necessary feature due to it's speed improvement, and it's another forgotten feature in the majority of file managers giving points to the main competence... Widnows Explorer. If it's so simple in options, why no one can copy the same functionality and add the extra features????
Check Configuration/General/Expand destination node in tree. Is that what you mean?

Chris Wood
Posts: 272
Joined: 25 May 2004 13:01
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Chris Wood »

That doesn't work when you select a folder in the tree, it only works when you double-click a folder in the view pane. Whereas Windows Explorer is the other way 'round (only auto-expands when you select a folder in the tree, and NOT when you double-click a folder).
test everything. hold on to the good.

jacky
XYwiki Master
Posts: 3106
Joined: 23 Aug 2005 22:25
Location: France
Contact:

Post by jacky »

Chris Wood wrote:That doesn't work when you select a folder in the tree, it only works when you double-click a folder in the view pane. Whereas Windows Explorer is the other way 'round (only auto-expands when you select a folder in the tree, and NOT when you double-click a folder).
Actually, only when you go there using another way than clicking on Tree, could be using List, Favorites, Catalog, Hotlist, etc

And AFAIC I like the way it works now with the option enabled :)
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

shader

Post by shader »

Exactly I mean when you make a click to an expandable folder, it would expand doing a single click in the main folder, showing the subfolders, always in the tree view. I think it's more faster doing this in the tree view than alternate between views.

JustinF
Posts: 357
Joined: 28 Jun 2005 23:47
Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA

Post by JustinF »

Being able to single click on a folder in the tree view and have it automatically expand would be a nice feature to copy from Windows Explorer, IMO. I miss that functionality.
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 50623
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Post by admin »

JustinF wrote:I miss that functionality.
I don't. :wink:

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master
Posts: 5824
Joined: 02 Jan 2006 19:34
Location: So. Chatham MA/Clearwater FL
Contact:

Post by j_c_hallgren »

I'm normally able to follow most everything here, but today must be a odd one, cause I don't get this whole thread... :oops: Sorry!

I've got my Win Expl set to "dbl click=open, sgl click=select" which may have something to do with it...plus...I never fully understood how XY "Expand dest node in tree" works...tried both on/off but haven't seen the difference...

BTW, when y'all are saying 'expand', do you mean fully expand or just next level down? I'm presuming it's just to see sub-folders within that parent...which is what happens when I dbl-click on a parent in WE in tree.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin
Posts: 50623
Joined: 22 May 2004 16:48
Location: Cologne, Win 8.1, Win 10
Contact:

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:I'm normally able to follow most everything here, but today must be a odd one, cause I don't get this whole thread... :oops: Sorry!
I had similar problems. Now I guess we are talking about the "single-click mode" (or so) of Explorer -- I don't like it.

jacky
XYwiki Master
Posts: 3106
Joined: 23 Aug 2005 22:25
Location: France
Contact:

Post by jacky »

j_c_hallgren wrote:I never fully understood how XY "Expand dest node in tree" works...tried both on/off but haven't seen the difference...
Well, as I said this will affect whether or not the Tree node will be expanded (not fully expanded, only the that folder, not his subs) when you change location using basically any other way than click on a folder on Tree.
Could be using List (dbl-click/Enter on a folder), Catalog, Hotlist, Go to, etc And of course, it will expand the node if the node can be expanded (ie. folder has subfolders, and node is collapsed), otherwise nothing will happen.
admin wrote:we are talking about the "single-click mode" (or so) of Explorer -- I don't like it.
I don't either 8)
shader wrote:Exactly I mean when you make a click to an expandable folder, it would expand doing a single click in the main folder, showing the subfolders, always in the tree view. I think it's more faster doing this in the tree view than alternate between views.
Just for the record, of course you don't have to "alternate views" in XY either to expand a node. It won't get expanded on single click that's right, but a double-click will. So will a click on the little plus sign before the folder's name.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master
Posts: 5824
Joined: 02 Jan 2006 19:34
Location: So. Chatham MA/Clearwater FL
Contact:

Post by j_c_hallgren »

jacky wrote:
j_c_hallgren wrote:I never fully understood how XY "Expand dest node in tree" works...
when you change location using basically any other way than click on a folder on Tree.
Could be using List (dbl-click/Enter on a folder), Catalog, Hotlist, Go to, etc
I tried it with Hotlist and GoTo and now see what it does, but it's not of any benefit to my way of doing things...however, you said 'change location any other way than click'...moving selection via arrow keys appears to be same as click in that it doesn't trigger the expansion...just wanted to clarify that point.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

jacky
XYwiki Master
Posts: 3106
Joined: 23 Aug 2005 22:25
Location: France
Contact:

Post by jacky »

j_c_hallgren wrote:however, you said 'change location any other way than click'...moving selection via arrow keys appears to be same as click in that it doesn't trigger the expansion...just wanted to clarify that point.
Yeah, you're right. I should I've said "other than using the Tree", whether by mouse or keys don't matter.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

Post Reply