What programming language is XYplorer written with?

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
EnjoyRC

What programming language is XYplorer written with?

Post by EnjoyRC »

Just curious...

Miguel Melo

Re: What programming language is XYplorer written with?

Post by Miguel Melo »

Visual Basic 6, it would seem.
I have vague plans for World Domination

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Miguel Melo wrote:Visual Basic 6, it would seem.
That's correct. It is compiled to native code (as opposed to pseudo code) as doing so achieves faster application speed.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

little titty

Post by little titty »

Visual Basic, I am gobsmacked :shock: :shock:
I come across so much ridicule of basic languages on the net, along the lines of it's only good for kids to learn as it's simple, or it teaches you bad programming practice or it's only good for simple stuff it's no good for professional complicated programs.
So to know a great app like XYplorere is written in it !!
Why doesn't everybody have a great user name like mine?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

little titty wrote:Visual Basic, I am gobsmacked :shock: :shock:
I come across so much ridicule of basic languages on the net, along the lines of it's only good for kids to learn as it's simple, or it teaches you bad programming practice or it's only good for simple stuff it's no good for professional complicated programs.
So to know a great app like XYplorere is written in it !!
Of course! :)

VB-dissing is just fools talking to themselves (that's why it will never stop -- there are so many fools in the web). Everybody who knows a bit about programming understands that the source code is as irrelevant to the product as the cookbook is to the dinner. When the dinner tastes great, who cares whether the recipe was written in Latin? That's a problem for the cook, not for the eater.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

admin wrote:Everybody who knows a bit about programming understands that the source code is as irrelevant to the product as the cookbook is to the dinner. When the dinner tastes great, who cares whether the recipe was written in Latin? That's a problem for the cook, not for the eater.
I don't think that analogy is correct. Source code to the product is what ingredients are to a dinner. And there is a difference between a dinner (food) tasting great and dinner (overall experience) being great. Further, the higher the quality of the ingredients, the better the taste. I can go to my local cafe and have a great lunch. Or I can go to a 3 Michelin star restaurant and have an amazing dinner. No matter how skilful the chef is, there is only so much he can do with a certain set of ingredients and cooking equipment.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
admin wrote:Everybody who knows a bit about programming understands that the source code is as irrelevant to the product as the cookbook is to the dinner. When the dinner tastes great, who cares whether the recipe was written in Latin? That's a problem for the cook, not for the eater.
I don't think that analogy is correct. Source code to the product is what ingredients are to a dinner. And there is a difference between a dinner (food) tasting great and dinner (overall experience) being great. Further, the higher the quality of the ingredients, the better the taste. I can go to my local cafe and have a great lunch. Or I can go to a 3 Michelin star restaurant and have an amazing dinner. No matter how skilful the chef is, there is only so much he can do with a certain set of ingredients and cooking equipment.
Simply wrong. I thought you knew better, zer0. The ingredients are the same for every compiled windows application: machine code.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:
zer0 wrote:
admin wrote:Everybody who knows a bit about programming understands that the source code is as irrelevant to the product as the cookbook is to the dinner.
I don't think that analogy is correct. Source code to the product is what ingredients are to a dinner. No matter how skilful the chef is, there is only so much he can do with a certain set of ingredients and cooking equipment.
Simply wrong. I thought you knew better, zer0. The ingredients are the same for every compiled windows application: machine code.
From my background, I'd say that zer0 has a valid point in that while the result (machine code) may be the same, the ingredients (source code) do vary greatly...both VB and C+ produce machine code but the source certainly looks different and has different options and features...that was zer0's point, I believe.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

j_c_hallgren wrote:From my background, I'd say that zer0 has a valid point in that while the result (machine code) may be the same, the ingredients (source code) do vary greatly...both VB and C+ produce machine code but the source certainly looks different and has different options and features...that was zer0's point, I believe.
Yes, exactly right!

To dispose with potentially confusing culinary metaphors, there are well-documented shortcomings of the ways XYplorer is currently developed. There's the lack of 64-bit VB compiler, difficulty with true multi-threading, etc. They have been mentioned many a time already. But hey, it's still amongst my most-used programs, along with Firefox, Skype, et al. so I get by.
Windows 7/10

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I beg your pardon, but machine code "is" ingredients. It's just what the running program consists of.
The source is the a bit like the cooking recipe, and the compiler is the cook.
(OK - every analogy must have some problems.)

And if the cook doesn't know how to fry, or the compiler doesn't know how to produce 64bit code, the result will be limited.
(And there might be 1000 other differences between cooks, or between compilers, some minor and some major.)
(Seems I'm a bit with zer0 here - at least regarding compilers?)

And don't get it wrong: Don isn't the cook - he composes the recipes.
(And, as the analogy is wrong here, he helps a bit on cooking...)

My point of view.
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

PeterH wrote:I beg your pardon, but machine code "is" ingredients. It's just what the running program consists of.
The source is the a bit like the cooking recipe, and the compiler is the cook.
(OK - every analogy must have some problems.)

And if the cook doesn't know how to fry, or the compiler doesn't know how to produce 64bit code, the result will be limited.
(And there might be 1000 other differences between cooks, or between compilers, some minor and some major.)
(Seems I'm a bit with zer0 here - at least regarding compilers?)

And don't get it wrong: Don isn't the cook - he composes the recipes.
(And, as the analogy is wrong here, he helps a bit on cooking...)

My point of view.
Exactly. I'm the author of the cooking book. I write it in the language I know best. The compiler translates it into the language the computer understands. There is not a single byte of VB6 in XYplorer.exe.

It's true that there are limits in what the source code can express, and what the compiler can produce. I was just trying to point out the never-ending stupidity of saying a program must be crap because it is written in VB. You could write an excellent program with chicken shit if you'd find a good chicken shit compiler! :)

JDługosz

Post by JDługosz »

Being fluent in the language is the largest factor, for projects with one or few developers.

So, I guess 64-bit build isn't coming any time soon... what about work arounds to address the issues? A proxy to run current shell extensions, and your own trick to put the directories back the right way, or be even better and clearly identify the directory shenanigans and provide easy access to both versions.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JDługosz wrote:Being fluent in the language is the largest factor, for projects with one or few developers.

So, I guess 64-bit build isn't coming any time soon... what about work arounds to address the issues? A proxy to run current shell extensions, and your own trick to put the directories back the right way, or be even better and clearly identify the directory shenanigans and provide easy access to both versions.
My own trick? You mean sysnative? That's by Microsoft.

aurumdigitus

Post by aurumdigitus »

admin wrote:You could write an excellent program with chicken shit if you'd find a good chicken shit compiler!
Now that's a postulate worthy of contemplation. :!:

zer0

Post by zer0 »

JDługosz wrote:Being fluent in the language is the largest factor, for projects with one or few developers.

Uh-uh, the largest factor is the customer requirements. If they aren't met using one language, another language needs to be used. And I'm always sceptical of any workarounds. They don't fix the problem, just provide an illusion of all being dandy/kosher.
Windows 7/10