Secure delete

Features wanted...
gtm

Secure delete

Post by gtm »

It would be nice to have a feature where the deletion is done using a secure method (user selectable), like what eraser can do. Or have this option used with deleting with "ctrl-delete", or "alt-delete", just like "shift-delete" means deletes without using recycle bin.

Or select the desired files and then delete using right click or pressing a button in the toolbar.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Re: Secure delete

Post by j_c_hallgren »

gtm wrote:It would be nice to have a feature where the deletion is done using a secure method (user selectable), like what eraser can do.
That's what specialty products like the one you mentioned are for, not a FM...as I asked in another of your numerous threads, how many and which FM's currently support this? The more that do, the better your case...if only one or two, then it's not typical and is a custom feature of that product, just like XY has some custom features.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
gtm wrote:It would be nice to have a feature where the deletion is done using a secure method (user selectable), like what eraser can do.
That's what specialty products like the one you mentioned are for, not a FM...as I asked in another of your numerous threads, how many and which FM's currently support this? The more that do, the better your case...if only one or two, then it's not typical and is a custom feature of that product, just like XY has some custom features.
Both Directory Opus as well as xplorer2 (at least in their current version) have this built-in. Personally, I do use this on occasion and it doesn't seem outside the envelope of a FM; OTOH there are shell extensions that enable this functionality.
Last edited by nas8e9 on 15 Aug 2011 17:18, edited 1 time in total.

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

gtm wrote:It would be nice to have a feature where the deletion is done using a secure method
This could be done by ans script utilizing sdelete.exe (Secure Delete, Copyright Mark Russinovich (Sysinternals) Microsoft)

The script can then be executed via shortcut/catalog/button bar

eil

Post by eil »

totally offtopic: i wonder how many times that secure delete was needed/useful?! looks like most of users(as last years i find more and more using this) are FBI agents with secret projects :lol:
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

vrtarifaachen

Post by vrtarifaachen »

I second this request. I would find it useful. I work in the healthcare field that requires secure delete.
This could be done by ans script utilizing sdelete.exe (Secure Delete, Copyright Mark Russinovich (Sysinternals) Microsoft)

The script can then be executed via shortcut/catalog/button bar
Yea, this is best option, IMO, at least until Don has time to implement this.

Can anyone conjure something up?

zer0

Post by zer0 »

stisev wrote:I second this request. I would find it useful. I work in the healthcare field that requires secure delete.
If you work in the healthcare industry, then you must adhere to a certain level of compliance. There are enterprise tools that do exactly that. If your place of work does not provide such a tool, you should speak to your manager.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Actually Secure Delete is on my list. I recognize it's very popular plus it's extremely easy to program (there's a lot of myth about Secure Delete but a little research will show you that this is all rubbish and mostly meant to sell expensive Secure Delete software to the paranoid).

jsampson45

Post by jsampson45 »

It would be good to have Eraser or an alternative in the right-click drop-down menu. Windows 10 file manager has it, so in this is more useful than XYPlorer.

highend

Post by highend »

You can already do that on your own, e.g. with the command line utility "sdelete" from sysinternals

Create a .bat file, put this content in (and adapt the path to sdelete.exe in it^^)
position can be: Top, Middle or Bottom

Code: Select all

REM For the current user only
REM For files & directories
SET "sdelete=D:\Tools\@Command Line Tools\Sysinternals\SDelete\sdelete.exe"
SET "position=Middle"
REG ADD "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\sdelete" /ve /d "Delete with sdelete" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\sdelete" /v "NoWorkingDirectory" /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\sdelete" /v "Position" /t REG_SZ /d "%position%" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell\sdelete\command" /ve /d "\"%sdelete%\" -s -f -nobanner \"%%1\"" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\sdelete" /ve /d "Delete with sdelete" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\sdelete" /v "NoWorkingDirectory" /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\sdelete" /v "Position" /t REG_SZ /d "%position%" /f
REG ADD "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\sdelete\command" /ve /d "\"%sdelete%\" -r -s -f -nobanner \"%%1\"" /f
Execute the .bat file

Now you have a new item in the XY context menu for files and folders: Delete with sdelete
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:? Wipe has been added to XYplorer in v10.30.0002 - 2011-09-20 20:37.

highend

Post by highend »

That's not available as a context menu entry^^

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Via Open With... and Custom File Associations it is.

highend

Post by highend »

Which requires an additional click :ninja:

Suggestion: Add the wipe option to
Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Context Menus | Folder Tree...
Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Context Menus | File List...

and everyone should (probably) be happy

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

One request in 12 years. Not enough.