Scripting Bugs

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
jacky
XYwiki Master

Re: Scripting Bugs

Post by jacky »

zer0 wrote:
admin wrote:There was indeed a side effect in a recent change. Fixed in next upload.

But, the dot (concatenator) in your pattern is reason enough to quote it. Because *.r?? is resolved to *r??.
Then the wiki (http://88.191.26.34/XYwiki/index.php/Sc ... _selfilter) needs to be changed, because, in an example mention in it, 1.gif (unquoted) is resolved as *1.gif* because no wildcards are mentioned in that pattern, so they're added automatically. However, there are wildcards in my pattern, so why is the effect of the concatenator different depending on presence of wildcards?
It is that way because it refers to selection filters, not the scripting command. So the examples are examples of selection filters and how they need to be used, which can be done from different places, one of them being the command selfilter.

Now, for that command as with any other command or function in XY scripting, (string) arguments should always be quoted.

That's also why in the examples of use below for selfilter, you have this:
selfilter "readme";
Selects all items whose name contains "readme" (eg: readme, readme.txt, !readme.now)

selfilter """readme""";
Selects item named "readme" and only that one item
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

zer0

Post by zer0 »

I see. From an abstract point of view, I'm wary of wildcards and quotes being put together to identify string arguments. In my mind, they are mutually exclusive. I'm glad that Don has fixed this issue and I look forward to making sure that it works.
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

zer0 wrote:
admin wrote:There was indeed a side effect in a recent change. Fixed in next upload.

But, the dot (concatenator) in your pattern is reason enough to quote it. Because *.r?? is resolved to *r??.
Then the wiki (http://88.191.26.34/XYwiki/index.php/Sc ... _selfilter) needs to be changed, because, in an example mention in it, 1.gif (unquoted) is resolved as *1.gif* because no wildcards are mentioned in that pattern, so they're added automatically. However, there are wildcards in my pattern, so why is the effect of the concatenator different depending on presence of wildcards?
1.gif (unquoted) is resolved as *1gif*, so the wiki is wrong here.

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

admin wrote:1.gif (unquoted) is resolved as *1gif*, so the wiki is wrong here.
No it's not, read up. ;) 1.gif in the wiki here is given as a general pattern, not a scripting example, so just a selection filter, e.g. one you could use from Edit|Select|Selection Filter -- now we don't need to quote those, do we?
As I said, of course if you're gonna use this pattern with SC selftilter, as with any other argument in scripting, you'll need to quote it.

PS: Just in case you missed it, read up also for a scripting bug with continue and else(if) blocks...
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:
admin wrote:1.gif (unquoted) is resolved as *1gif*, so the wiki is wrong here.
No it's not, read up. ;) 1.gif in the wiki here is given as a general pattern, not a scripting example, so just a selection filter, e.g. one you could use from Edit|Select|Selection Filter -- now we don't need to quote those, do we?
As I said, of course if you're gonna use this pattern with SC selftilter, as with any other argument in scripting, you'll need to quote it.

PS: Just in case you missed it, read up also for a scripting bug with continue and else(if) blocks...
Ah! :oops: No, did not read it up. And also missed the continue bug... :roll: , TGIF!

zer0

Post by zer0 »

jacky wrote:No it's not, read up. ;) 1.gif in the wiki here is given as a general pattern, not a scripting example...
...then why is it on the page for selfilter scripting command? That clearly creates a confusion. Yes, selfilter means Selection Filter that's accessible elsewhere, so on that respective page there should not be any quotes. I'm just glad that in my case quotes aren't mandatory and Don said that scripting command not working was a side-effect, so I'll carry on avoiding quotes unless I can't help it :P
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10

Muroph

Post by Muroph »

zer0 wrote:I'm just glad that in my case quotes aren't mandatory and Don said that scripting command not working was a side-effect, so I'll carry on avoiding quotes unless I can't help it :P
from my experience i'd say you shouldn't do this. really.
you DON'T want to accidentally nuke the wrong files because of missing quotes, like i did. :x

BTW, i don't think the wiki is confusing.
one section has pattern examples, and the other shows how they are used in scripts.
nothing wrong there.
My shared scripts:
TeraCopy Integration, Tag Manager, Comments Menu, Text Replacer, Image and Media Tools, Checksum Calculator, Video Calculator
only 5 URLs are allowed on the sig...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Quoting the Help file:
Using Quotes in Scripting

It's strongly recommended that you (double- or single-) quote your strings! While the script engine is currently still permissive with unquoted strings (msg Hi! works) this might not be so in the future, so you better do msg "Hi!" right away!

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

What they said. Besides, I think what Don actually said was that, in this case, quotes were actually required, as without them your filter isn't what you think it is/want it to be :
admin wrote:But, the dot (concatenator) in your pattern is reason enough to quote it. Because *.r?? is resolved to *r??.
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

zer0

Post by zer0 »

My grudge with quotes is that [when single-quoting] there is no indication of wildcards being added while they are. For example, "temp.rar" and "*temp.rar*" do the same thing while they are not the same. Is that the correct behaviour? I don't think so. Wrapping a string in TRIPLE quotes to get an exact match is incomprehensible. Personally, I'd rather use "temp.rar" pattern and not catch "temporary.rar" in my folder than battle with so many quotes. I think it's a matter of getting exactly what you asked for: you asked for temp.rar, you got temp.rar, you didn't specify any wildcards so none were applied. I spoke to a German colleague yesterday and he said that they are very direct in terms of dealing with things, ja? :mrgreen:
Windows 7/10

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

zer0 wrote:My grudge with quotes is that [when single-quoting] there is no indication of wildcards being added while they are. For example, "temp.rar" and "*temp.rar*" do the same thing while they are not the same. Is that the correct behaviour? I don't think so.
Of course it is, it's a feature! ;) Because most of the time you'd want to type part of the filename, so XY defaults there while of course still allowing exact match through the use of quotes. (Something that, IIRC, Windows Explorer simply cannot do...)
zer0 wrote:Wrapping a string in TRIPLE quotes to get an exact match is incomprehensible.
For an exact match you need to use quotes in your pattern, e.g. "foobar" which, obviously, used in scripting, means your pattern is an argument that must be quoted -- so either """foobar""" or '"foobar"'

I think you might be confusing what you actually write in your script, and what the pattern/filter really is.

Code: Select all

selfilter "foobar"; // pattern is foobar
selfilter '"foobar"'; // pattern is "foobar"
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Aha! Assuming that most of the time I'd type a part of a name is where the issue is. I wouldn't, simple as that. You've no idea how many times I've wanted to pull my hair out when searching and finding partial matches, but not exact ones as a result of the default action.. I guess it's partially intuitive :)

Also, I've reconstructed my older script to follow the pattern of the one that you suggested, but now it does not move the files to their destinations. I stepped through it and it gets as far as the match of pattern and recognises where to move, but doesn't get to the bottom of the script to actually move the files. Here it is in full:

"New Moving Script"
   $filelist = getinfo('SelectedItemsPathNames', '|');
   $p = strpos($filelist, '|');
   while ($p >= 0)
   {
      $file = substr($filelist, 0, $p);
      $name = regexreplace($file, "^.+\\(.+)$", "$1");
      $filelist = substr($filelist, $p + 1);
      $p = strpos($filelist, '|');
      //
      $dest = FALSE;
      if (strpos($name, '.720p.HDTV.') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\TV 720p\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'CSI.S10') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\CSI Las Vegas\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Smallville') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\Smallville\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'The.Office') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\USTV\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Supernatural.') > -1)
      {
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Greys.Anatomy') > -1)
      {
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, '90210.S02') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\90210\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'American.Dad') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\American Dad\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'The.Big.Bang.Theory') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\The Big Bang Theory\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'CSI.Miami') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\CSI Miami\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'CSI.NY.') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\CSI NY\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'CSI.New.York') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\CSI NY\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Daily.Show') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\Daily Show\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Family.Guy') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\Family Guy\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Fringe.') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\Fringe\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Gossip.Girl') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\Gossip Girl\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Heroes.') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\Heroes\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'House.') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\House\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Jay.Leno') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\Jay.Leno\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Law.and.Order.SVU') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\LaO SVU\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'NCIS') > -1)
      {
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'One.Tree.Hill') > -1)
      {
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'The.Mentalist') > -1)
      {
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'The.SImpsons') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\The Simpsons\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Law.and.Order.S') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\LaO\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Desperate.Housewives') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\Desperate.Housewives\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'How.I.Met.Your.Mother') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\How I Met Your Mother\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Hells.https://www.xyplorer.com.US.') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\Hell'https://www.xyplorer.com\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Flashpoint.') > -1)
      {
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'South.Park') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\South Park\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Cops.') > -1)
      {
         $dest = 'D:\Video\Cops\';
      }
      elseif (strpos($name, 'Dollhouse.') > -1)
      {
      }

if (FALSE != $dest)
      {
         moveto $dest, $file;
      }

Windows 7/10

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jacky wrote:Unrelated: found a bug in scripting: From the help

// script will only show "done"
  $i = 1;
  while ($i <= 3) {
    $i++;
    continue;
    echo $i;
  }
  echo "done";
Works as expected. Now this should do the same, but doesn't as continue; seem to escape the else block only, and we need to do continue 2; to make it work properly...

// script will show "2", "3, "4", "done"
  $i = 1;
  while ($i <= 3) {
    $i++;
    if (0) {} else { continue; }
    echo $i;
  }
  echo "done";
FYI the key is the else, it works fine within an if block. However, from an elseif block it is buggy as well...
Confirmed and fixed, merci!

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

zer0 wrote:Also, I've reconstructed my older script to follow the pattern of the one that you suggested, but now it does not move the files to their destinations. I stepped through it and it gets as far as the match of pattern and recognises where to move, but doesn't get to the bottom of the script to actually move the files. Here it is in full:
Okay I see 2 problems in this script :
- Maybe a copy/paste error, but you're missing the closing bracket (of the while loop) at the end
- you forgot to escape a single quote in that line:

$dest = 'D:\Video\Hell'https://www.xyplorer.com\';
Should be this::

$dest = 'D:\Video\Hell''https://www.xyplorer.com\';
Proud XYplorer Fanatic

zer0

Post by zer0 »

Thank you jacky! Those two issues were the cause of my headaches 8)
Windows 7/10