Any interest in taking over development of Locate32?

Features wanted...
58Random

Any interest in taking over development of Locate32?

Post by 58Random »

I registered for this forum in order to inquire whether the developer of Xyplorer would have any interest in taking over development of Locate32, which is a fine desktop search program. The developer of locate32 posted today that he basically does not intend to further develop it. I use both Xyplorer and Locate32 and otherwise have no affiliation with either.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Any interest in taking over development of Locate32?

Post by admin »

Hi and welcome,

interesting, but does locate32 do anything that XY does not?

Don

58Random

Post by 58Random »

It indexes file names so a search for a file name is much quicker.

zer0

Post by zer0 »

No disrespect meant to the product, but is it not reinventing the wheel of Windows Search Index?
Reporting a bug? Have a wish? Got a question? Use search - View roadmap - FAQs: Forum + XY site
Windows 7/10
Always using the latest stable two-decimal build

58Random

Post by 58Random »

I don't know if it is reinventing the wheel, but it seems to make the wheel turn faster.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

zer0 wrote:No disrespect meant to the product, but is it not reinventing the wheel of Windows Search Index?
It was better than Windows prior to Vista/7 and was trying to fill the same gap as, the also recently killed, Google Desktop.

Considering it's open source but only has one (quitting) developer I'd say it probably hasn't managed to maintain anything compelling compared to Microsoft's newer non-crappy attempts.
Last edited by TheQwerty on 21 Sep 2011 22:14, edited 1 time in total.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

Two things XYplorer is missing are (arguably) indexed search (which Locate32 could provide) as well as the ability to search inside compressed or otherwise binary files (Office XML files, compressed as ZIP's, i.e. docx, xlsx, etc.). From a quick glance, Locate32 doesn't solve the latter (through IFilter support or otherwise)?

Edited for clarity.

eil

Post by eil »

imo, it's good that XY has no indexing, 'cause it's crappy technology(same imo). seriously, do users create(copy) and delete so few files a day that indexing can be up to date?! yet, it's just a humiliation over HD. :?
as for Locator32 -it's good for it's free and has many options for search, but indexing.. already mentioned. probably this was the reason i have chosen shareware searcher when i checked all the search programs i could find a 1.5 year ago(no indexing, great amount of search options, search in 15+ archive types, internal preview and on top not heavy on ram/cpu 8) ).
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I haven't used Locate32, but have found Everything.exe (from http://voidtools.com) to be hands-down, the fastest, best implemented name-based search tool there is. While it does maintain a minimal index of sorts, it's not done in the cumbersome, performance impacting way of other similar tools. (I think it takes some advantage of the Master File Table (MFT) in NTFS.) I routinely use it to search across over 17 TB of files on as many as 15 attached USB drives. And I am always detaching/attaching drives.

Unfortunately, the author of this program is not very active in maintaining it on a timely basis, but even with it's current issues, it works exceedingly well and is absolutely indispensable to me.
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

aurumdigitus

Post by aurumdigitus »

Can't remember a time without using locate32. That said, at first blush Everything.exe looks promising and will try it for awhile. The latter software seems to have the advantage in simplicity of operation.

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

aurumdigitus wrote:Can't remember a time without using locate32. That said, at first blush Everything.exe looks promising and will try it for awhile. The latter software seems to have the advantage in simplicity of operation.
You should use this beta (alpha) version, 1.2.1.451a, which has some improvements, such as search history and auto-completion:
http://forum.voidtools.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=592
It's been out for awhile and I've been using it with no problems.
You will not be disappointed, at least with regards to speed.

Note that Everything.exe won't search network drives, though I think there's something you can run separately to have it search drives on networked computers. And while the regexp is great, the library he's currently using doesn't match foreign characters (unicode I guess). So for example you can't match "Händel" with "H.ndel", but it will otherwise find files with "Händel" directly. [This is a particularly longstanding issue for me.]
Running on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit quad-core ASUS G752-VY notebook with 64 GB RAM, over 26 external USB3 drives attached via multiple powered hubs with letters and mount points, totaling 120+ TB.

aurumdigitus

Post by aurumdigitus »

Jerry wrote:You should use this beta (alpha) version, 1.2.1.451a, which has some improvements, such as search history and auto-completion:
Thank you for the "heads up".

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

aurumdigitus wrote:
Jerry wrote:You should use this beta (alpha) version, 1.2.1.451a, which has some improvements, such as search history and auto-completion:
Thank you for the "heads up".
Alas, as you can see from that post, the current alpha version was created by the author, David Carpenter, nearly 2 years ago! I intend to start a post there suggesting he make the code available as open source. Oh, if only he was as dedicated to his users as Don!

eil

Post by eil »

not promoting or anything, but got interested what will anyone say(or maybe try and compare) about FileLocator. though Pro(paid) version is much more advanced there is a Lite(free) version to try. i've been using it for long time(Pro), and never found any better with same abilities.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

aurumdigitus

Post by aurumdigitus »

Jerry wrote:Oh, if only he was as dedicated to his users as Don!
Amen, brother, amen!

To eil - Will try to test drive FileLocator but year end pressure at work is mounting already so it may be some time. :(

Getting back to XY, there was recently a tip on the Forum about using Info Panel|Find Files|Attributes|Directory to locate Folders. Very nice.