Chinese (Simplified) 简体中文

Where developers, translators, and users meet...
admin
Site Admin

Re: Chinese (Simplified) 简体中文

Post by admin »

Great, thanks! :tup:

terrytw

Post by terrytw »

Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Context Menus | Native context menu

It is now translated as 本地右键菜单, which roughly means local context menu, and it does not make sense to normal people.

I suggest use 原生右键菜单 or 自带右键菜单. Maybe you can think of better options, but 本地右键菜单 is not a very good one.
Last edited by terrytw on 17 Mar 2023 03:28, edited 1 time in total.

Dono

Post by Dono »

Everyone is very professional and excellent. From a professional perspective, it is no problem to document translated documents. However, for ordinary users like me, it may be better to have images or video demonstrations of some regular functions, as ordinary users only need to enjoy the convenience brought by this software.

Dono

Post by Dono »

It is also possible that I did not consider the initial thinking of the software designer. If this software development is aimed at a programming foundation, it may be very appropriate.

Dono

Post by Dono »

Many friends in the forum also need image demonstrations or video tutorials to use the software. The Chinese translation of the overall interface of the software may be somewhat different from that of real Chinese software. I hope that the words in the translation are more consistent with the usage habits of Chinese people (this requirement may be too high :titter: :titter: :titter:

terrytw

Post by terrytw »

Dono wrote: 17 Mar 2023 02:52 Many friends in the forum also need image demonstrations or video tutorials to use the software. The Chinese translation of the overall interface of the software may be somewhat different from that of real Chinese software. I hope that the words in the translation are more consistent with the usage habits of Chinese people (this requirement may be too high :titter: :titter: :titter:
While in general I agree with your sentiment that XYplorer is fairly complicated for regular people, and the current translation is not doing a perfect job of conveying information, I would like you to consider that:

1. This program is developed by a single person! I am quite amazed by that fact. So he does not have a lot of resources to make it that user friendly, or put up video tutorials.
2. Translators, from my understanding, are doing it voluntarily, so they don't have a lot of time to polish the translation either.
3. This program itself is quite complicated with a lot of nuances, even the English version is not straight forward for English users, so it is not always the fault of translation.

What we can do, is maybe make small contributions bits by bits. If you see anything confusing and manage to figure it out, you can post it here, the current translator could potentially improve upon it.

Dono

Post by Dono »

Sorry, I didn't mean to blame you. I also think software developers and translators work very hard, and I really think they're excellent. However, it is undeniable that for a paid software, this requirement is necessary.

Dono

Post by Dono »

I like this software very much, and of course I hope it will become more perfect

terrytw

Post by terrytw »

Dono wrote: 17 Mar 2023 03:33 Sorry, I didn't mean to blame you. I also think software developers and translators work very hard, and I really think they're excellent. However, it is undeniable that for a paid software, this requirement is necessary.
Nonono, I didn't think you were blaming me. I am actually not a translator, I am just a user who pops up from time to time.

I think your concern is valid, it is just the matter of how the developer, translator, and us user can collectively make it better.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Dono wrote: 17 Mar 2023 02:52 Many friends in the forum also need image demonstrations or video tutorials to use the software.
There are image tutorials provided here: https://www.xyplorer.com/product.php#features

terrytw

Post by terrytw »

jupe wrote: 17 Mar 2023 03:56
Dono wrote: 17 Mar 2023 02:52 Many friends in the forum also need image demonstrations or video tutorials to use the software.
There are image tutorials provided here: https://www.xyplorer.com/product.php#features
Yeah but that is all English, which is a hard sell to Chinese users......
Unlike most people in EU who are multilingual, even though most people in China take English lessons, they will faint when they are actually required to use it in real life....Our QA engineer refuse to read any English document and always look for translated version in shady quality...

jupe

Post by jupe »

I was replying to a post written in english, so assume the user can read it, and translating a webpage is possible, expecting tutorials written in every language of the world seems implausible.

terrytw

Post by terrytw »

jupe wrote: 17 Mar 2023 04:03 I was replying to a post written in english, so assume the user can read it, and translating a webpage is possible, expecting tutorials written in every language of the world seems implausible.
There is a difference between writing a post and navigating a complicated software and its tutorials. I think it's not going to get us anywhere if everyone is expecting others to do better. Users think devs and translator should do better, while mods expect users to do better. I say we can meet in the middle and everyone sees what they can do, that's the way to get things done.

Also Chinese is not any language, it is the world's second economy and has 1.4 B people. It makes a lot of sense to provide Chinese support from a business perspective. XYplorer even has a special Chinese shop. I bought this program there, they say custom support will be provided at this site. I don't think most Chinese people will get support at all because they can't use English. (not a blame, just a fact).

I won't deviate this thread any further, since it is first and foremost a thread for Chinese translation.

hapocn

Post by hapocn »

terrytw wrote: 17 Mar 2023 02:43 Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Context Menus | Native context menu

It is now translated as 本地右键菜单, which roughly means local context menu, and it does not make sense to normal people.

I suggest use 原生右键菜单 or 自带右键菜单. Maybe you can think of better options, but 本地右键菜单 is not a very good one.
Your translations is very good, why dont' you take over the work.
I just saw the translation has bee delay over months, so I upload a temporary copy.
I think you will make the translation better than me.

terrytw

Post by terrytw »

hapocn wrote: 17 Mar 2023 05:24
terrytw wrote: 17 Mar 2023 02:43 Configuration | General | Menus, Mouse, Usability | Context Menus | Native context menu

Your translations is very good, why dont' you take over the work.
I just saw the translation has bee delay over months, so I upload a temporary copy.
I think you will make the translation better than me.
I am sorry, I am maintaining 4 different open source project's translation, and XYplorer is very complicated! If I want to do it per my standard, it will take a lot of time which I don't have right now....

Sorry if I am making too many suggestions. If you are bothered, may I suggest that you can gather feedback without releasing immediate fix, wait till next version and put all suggestions in there once and for all.

Again, apologies if I am causing inconveniences for you.