Mother of All Reviews

Say it if you mean it...
FeatureCreep

Re: Mother of All Reviews

Post by FeatureCreep »

Glad you like them and thanks (to all) for the glowing praise. :D I'm overwhelmed. :shock: But it is undeserved. Most of the images are composites incorporating the work of others. I just wanted to contribute, and show my appreciation of the world's finest file manager. And add a bit of fun to the forum.

Some acknowledgements: Dilbert strip: Scott Adams, United Feature Syndicate, Inc.; Twins: Universal Pictures; The African Queen: Romulus Films, Horizon Pictures; Ratatouille: Disney Enterprises Inc., Pixar Anumation Studios; Spiderman: Sony Pictures, Marvel Enterprises, Laura Ziskin Productions; Star Trek (2009): Paramount Pictures, Paramount Digital Entertainment; Back to the Future: Universal Pictures, Amblin Entertainment, U-Drive Productions; The Matrix: Warner Bros. Pictures.

Hopefully, nobody will object to the humorous use of a few images on a single thread of a user forum, but, in my very unqualified opinion, they may (probably will) be more assertive if the images are used on the official part of the XY website or in documentation. Sorry to be a wet blanket but I urge caution.

I was hesitant about using the XYplorer logo without asking for permission. Responsibility for that, and any other copyright infringement, is mine alone. (Other logos are used as the subject of satire.)

The bonsai tree (actually a dwarf Juniper) is from a Wikimedia Commons image:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dwarf ... 5-2007.jpg

Some images are from stock libraries and could be used after payment of a small fee but I think commercial use of any movie still or character would be prohibitively expensive.

Others were drawn from scratch and could perhaps be used somewhere to illustrate XYplorer features e.g.
Bright Side - Color Filters (inspired by the Pink Floyd album)
Tag Line - Favorites
Synchronicity - Folder Synch

You are free to use them as you wish.

Thanks for the suggestion that "you need to be...even paid!". Not sure if you were being serious. It is a bit late for Christmas presents but a couple of Lifetime Pro Licenses would be much appreciated. :roll: They would go to a good home. :D

[Failing that, a couple of wish fulfillments would be nice: 2nd full width toolbar and remove/increase the limit on the number of custom buttons. I'm kinda mouse-oriented. I think these are already on your to-do list. If so take this as a vote.]

But they (licenses) could not be as payment/thankyou for any of the above review images. They would have to be for something else, like a new set of toolbar buttons.

I originally create a few buttons, intending to post them here for anyone to use...eh...but got a bit carried away. :roll: And took your challenge...

Posted: 24 Nov 2010 10:36
"Everybody is free to create designs (16x16 and 24x24, full alpha transparency) for missing buttons and publish them here. If I like the designs (I'm a bit hard to please though) AND think it would be useful to add that button I will take it and give credit to the creator (immortatility...!)."
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... ons#p54929

...a bit further.

There is a button for just about every command and many for functions that can only be called with scripts -making this perhaps the most comprehensive set for any program (office apps included).

It's kind of addictive. Some people collect postage stamps. I draw icons. The review images were kind of a spin off from doing the buttons. Trying to come up with an image for one would give me an idea for the other.

Anyway, these are originals and not dependent on the copyright of others. But I copyright them (here and now) in case you (Don) want to use any or all of them as official XY buttons, in which case consider the copyright transfered to you. Otherwise, anyone is free to use them as custom buttons within XYplorer.

I tried to get away from some of the poorer cliches e.g.
scissors for "Cut"
spyglass/binoculars for "Search/Find"
manila as default folder colour

This is a preview (I'll follow up with zipped .ico and .png files in a later post) for review. Designs are subject to change by popular demand or admin decree. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Hope you like them.
Attachments
XYplorer 24x24 Toolbar Buttons LAYOUT.png
XYplorer 24x24 Toolbar Buttons LAYOUT.png (254.49 KiB) Viewed 4401 times

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

Now you know why I want that 2nd toolbar. :)
Attachments
01 File.png
01 File.png (170.21 KiB) Viewed 4403 times

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

02 Edit
Attachments
02 Edit.png
02 Edit.png (91 KiB) Viewed 4404 times

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

03 View
Attachments
03 View.png
03 View.png (160.36 KiB) Viewed 4404 times

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

04 Go
Attachments
04 Go.png
04 Go.png (18.04 KiB) Viewed 4404 times

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

05 Favorites
Attachments
05 Favorites.png
05 Favorites.png (61.18 KiB) Viewed 4404 times

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

07 Scripting
Attachments
07 Scripting.png
07 Scripting.png (11.69 KiB) Viewed 4404 times

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

08 Tools
Attachments
08 Tools.png
08 Tools.png (144.14 KiB) Viewed 4404 times

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

09 Panes
Attachments
09 Panes.png
09 Panes.png (24.21 KiB) Viewed 4404 times

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

10 Window
Attachments
10 Window.png
10 Window.png (32.25 KiB) Viewed 4404 times

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

11 Help
Attachments
11 Help.png
11 Help.png (29.1 KiB) Viewed 4404 times

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

Download link for 7z file of custom button set.
http://www.mediafire.com/?9zbrk3f2yw69s9z

Note: if you have any problems with the buttons displaying incorrectly on the toolbar you may have to use separate files for large and small buttons (rather than the ICO files containing both). Both types, as well as PNGs, are included.

Update: The above link is dead. For new link and any updates go to this thread.
http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8003
Last edited by FeatureCreep on 05 Apr 2012 00:22, edited 1 time in total.

jjk

Post by jjk »

Wow ! Thank you. Superb.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

@FeatureCreep: You are blowing me away. Speechless. Send me the names of people you want to give a belated license to for xmas.

FeatureCreep

Post by FeatureCreep »

Thanks, much appreciated. :D