Tabsets - Small Bugs & Wishes Thread

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
TheQwerty

Tabsets - Small Bugs & Wishes Thread

Post by TheQwerty »

Just starting a thread to discuss the various small wishes and bugs of the new Tabsets…

When Selecting a Tabset to Open, it's disorienting and confusing that those already in use are not displayed.
Can it instead list all tabsets but disable those that cannot be selected?

Given the above it would then be useful to be able to clone a tabset that is already in use, so maybe instead of disabling them, give them a different marking ("name [In Use - P1]") and when the user selects one prompt that "Tabset is already in open, would you like to make a clone?"

eil

Re: Tabsets - Small Bugs & Wishes Thread

Post by eil »

first if all, congratulations to Don for implementing this!. i remember it was asked not once, and as i understood from description in beta-branch it was a long way to go. :)
i thought of maybe this should be in Wishes, but well it always can be moved, so here's what i noticed from the first go:
- Tabset dialog of Open should have some way to delete unneeded sets
- what is the difference between Save As and Save Copy As ? i see them as same function but from different angle, 'cause there anyways created a copy of current Tabset and then one is stored and other is in work..
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

Marco

Post by Marco »

Congratulations from here too!
My 0.02$:
is it possible to have a sort of Revert/Reload tabset? Ideally I'd like to have a tabset (let's call it "the usual tabs"), then work, mess around open new tabs and close some, then, at the end of the day, being able to reload the same tabset, thus returning to its original state.
And thanks again for this killer feature!
Tag Backup - SimpleUpdater - XYplorer Messenger - The Unofficial XYplorer Archive - Everything in XYplorer
Don sees all [cit. from viewtopic.php?p=124094#p124094]

eil

Post by eil »

TheQwerty wrote:Given the above it would then be useful to be able to clone a tabset that is already in use
doesn't Save As or Save Copy As do that?..
Marco wrote:is it possible to have a sort of Revert/Reload tabset? Ideally I'd like to have a tabset (let's call it "the usual tabs"), then work, mess around open new tabs and close some, then, at the end of the day, being able to reload the same tabset, thus returning to its original state.
i think that's already possible: just open tabs you wish to be considered as "original state", save this Tabset under some suitable for you name(or just save them under default name), then create another set where you will be working, at the end of the day you'll have to switch back to that "original state" set. :wink:

but this made me think it could be good if in Tabset menu appeared either Use Last Tabset(to fast switch between 2: current and one being in use before that) or list of recent tabsets, like it is with catalogs.

Borut

Post by Borut »

My XY return on investment (i.e. joy when working with it) rises with each new day! Don, congratulations and many thanks for tabsets! Another killer feature in such a short time. The icon is cute, too. :P

I knew that it is just a matter of time - namely, tabsets actually solve (in another way) my problem I stated as a wish about a year ago: Tab pairs :D, because a tabset for me incorporates a project I am at a particular time concentrated on. So, it is just important that I have a set of tabs opened. They need not be in separate panes. Wonderful.

Now for (a) possible wish(es)...

Tabset base
The pane data paths are typically located under <xydata>\Panes, and they can be referenced relative to this location. It is recommended that you store all your tabsets here; makes it easier for you to handle.
My work flow is: go to work; copy portable applications from USB to C:; work; copy portable applications from C: to USB; go home; copy portable applications from USB to C:; work; copy portable applications from C: to USB; ...

Since I do completely different things at work and at home, it would suit me to store tabsets to local folders (for my work flow tabsets are the only thing that needs not be portable), but have a list of MRU tabset bases itself stored under data, so that after starting XY, the first thing would be to select a tabset base and then to select (and store) tabsets from (to) there. At start, if XY can not find the last used tabset base, it needs not load any specific tab (or could load a default tab, if possible) - this would not be a problem in my view.

Of course, I could exclude tabsets copying from/to USB in the definition of my beyond compare session - that would solve it, but I really think that the concept of tabset bases would be great and would help me a lot.

Tabset icon
As said: nice! I would however be happier, if left click would (optionally?) bring the list of tabsets directly in the menu. What is now shown on left click could/would then be shown on the right click (plus the selection of MRU tabset bases 8) ).

Anyway, no matter how/if you implement any of these, thank you for your continued development and great support of your users.

Regards,
Borut
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Borut wrote:Tabset base
Tabset icon
1. Understood, makes sense. I just wonder if I should waste a command ("Set Tabset Base...") for this? Maybe... Thinking about it...

2. Yep, a MRU list of tabsets is planned anyway. It will indeed pop at left-click, etc. as you said it.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:When Selecting a Tabset to Open, it's disorienting and confusing that those already in use are not displayed.
Can it instead list all tabsets but disable those that cannot be selected?

Given the above it would then be useful to be able to clone a tabset that is already in use, so maybe instead of disabling them, give them a different marking ("name [In Use - P1]") and when the user selects one prompt that "Tabset is already in open, would you like to make a clone?"
Good idea!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

eil wrote:- Tabset dialog of Open should have some way to delete unneeded sets
- what is the difference between Save As and Save Copy As ? i see them as same function but from different angle, 'cause there anyways created a copy of current Tabset and then one is stored and other is in work..
1. I'd rather leave that to file management: goto the tabsets base folder and delete the tabset folders you don't need. It's also a bit safer (harder to do accidentally). Maybe I add a command "Go to Tabsets Folder".

Save As: loads a copy of the current tabset as the new current tabset.
Save Copy As: stores a copy of the current tabset but leaves the current tabset loaded.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Marco wrote:is it possible to have a sort of Revert/Reload tabset? Ideally I'd like to have a tabset (let's call it "the usual tabs"), then work, mess around open new tabs and close some, then, at the end of the day, being able to reload the same tabset, thus returning to its original state.
And thanks again for this killer feature!
Revert is not possible as the tabs write information while in use, e.g. search tabs store their find settings or cached data. This is not revertable.

As eil said, you can backup the current TS ("Name") using Save Copy As ("Name_Backup"), and later reload the backup and do Save As to "Name".
Or easier: Save As "Name" as "Name_MessAround", and after messing with "Name_MessAround" around load "Name" again.

eil

Post by eil »

admin wrote:2. Save As: loads a copy of the current tabset as the new current tabset.
Save Copy As: stores a copy of the current tabset but leaves the current tabset loaded.
i understood that, but it still makes them almost even for me, 'cause at the moment of using these functions, we either way have 2 identical copies.. and difference is only in names :roll:
oh well, i guess their differences will still prove to be useful, and i'm just too excited about Tabsets feature :mrgreen:
admin wrote:Revert is not possible as the tabs write information while in use, e.g. search tabs store their find settings or cached data. This is not revertable.
i'm a bit interested what is your opinion about Use Last Tabset(to fast switch between 2: current and one being in use before that/copy that was last created) ?

by the way, current Tabset name should be displayed somewhere or it's easy to miss which one are you working with :idea:

Borut

Post by Borut »

Another wish/idea: I would welcome a permanent display of current tabsets names. Where? Hmm... What about an optional status bar under the tree?
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Borut wrote:Another wish/idea: I would welcome a permanent display of current tabsets names. Where? Hmm... What about an optional status bar under the tree?
Hmm, any better idea anybody? :)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote:
Borut wrote:Tabset base
1. Understood, makes sense. I just wonder if I should waste a command ("Set Tabset Base...") for this? Maybe... Thinking about it...
I decided against a permanently changed tabset base. Instead I will give you an easy way to select tabsets from any location:

Code: Select all

Syntax: tabset([operation=open], [name], [pane=a])
        operation:
          "open" = [default] Open/Load a stored tabset from the 
                  complete list of available tabsets in the tabset base 
                  (<xydata>\Panes).
                  Parameter "name" can be used to define an alternative 
                  tabset base for this operation.

Borut

Post by Borut »

admin wrote: I decided against a permanently changed tabset base. Instead I will give you an easy way to select tabsets from any location:
OK, it was a high time for me to plunge into the scripting business and this might be an easy and highly motivated introduction. Your decision sounds sound and flexible. Question: What the exact meaning of the third parameter will be ([pane=a])? Is "a" the left pane for instance or am I talking nonsense here?

Also, I just started experimenting more with tabsets and got a bit confused. Due to my way of using panes (which, admittedly, is not the usual one, I suppose: always only a single pane is visible, having all the needed tabs of the project I am working on; so, in effect, I have an first priority project in one pane, and a second priority project in another pane), I assumed that save/load operations involve only the currently visible pane, which - now it seems obvious - is not true. This would be a shortcoming in a tabset concept/flexibility for my specific way of using XY (which has greatly changed with time).

Therefore I am very interested in the answer to the above question. Somewhat reformulated: Will it be possible to load/store a tabset only to/from one of the panes? I am afraid that this is against your concept.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Borut wrote:
admin wrote: I decided against a permanently changed tabset base. Instead I will give you an easy way to select tabsets from any location:
OK, it was a high time for me to plunge into the scripting business and this might be an easy and highly motivated introduction. Your decision sounds sound and flexible. Question: What the exact meaning of the third parameter will be ([pane=a])? Is "a" the left pane for instance or am I talking nonsense here?

Also, I just started experimenting more with tabsets and got a bit confused. Due to my way of using panes (which, admittedly, is not the usual one, I suppose: always only a single pane is visible, having all the needed tabs of the project I am working on; so, in effect, I have an first priority project in one pane, and a second priority project in another pane), I assumed that save/load operations involve only the currently visible pane, which - now it seems obvious - is not true. This would be a shortcoming in a tabset concept/flexibility for my specific way of using XY (which has greatly changed with time).

Therefore I am very interested in the answer to the above question. Somewhat reformulated: Will it be possible to load/store a tabset only to/from one of the panes? I am afraid that this is against your concept.
1. "a" = active pane, "i" = inactive pane

2. The main menu's Tabset commands all apply only to the active pane. Only using scripting (SC tabset(...)) you can operate on the tabset of the inactive pane. Did you make an different experience? That would be a bug...