Like a new feature? Say thanks here

Say it if you mean it...
Chris Wood

Like a new feature? Say thanks here

Post by Chris Wood »

This thread is for thanking Donald for specific new beta features you like.

Sticky please!
Last edited by Chris Wood on 23 May 2006 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
test everything. hold on to the good.

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

admin wrote:

Code: Select all

Now you can enter http:// addresses into the Address Bar: they will be opened using your default browser. You can as well define http:// addresses as destinations in the Catalog.
This is nice.

JustinF

Post by JustinF »

I've wanted a good favorites system in XYplorer for a while now and the catalog that Don implemented is absolutely indispensable. It's great! And the cool thing is that he's not done with it!!

Thanks Don.
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Well.. being quite busy and I haven't been able to be around here as much as I used to :( but I just downloaded the latest beta and I had to come by and congratulate you, Don, for once again all the amazing great work you've done!! :shock:

XY keeps getting better & better, and the new Catalog feature looks great, now I'm gonna have to get used to using it ;) I just love XY more & more everyday :D

Thanks a lot Don :!:

Chris Wood

Post by Chris Wood »

admin wrote:

If a new instance of XY is loaded with a startpath command line
      parameter, this path is opened in a new foreground tab of the
      previous instance instead of loading the new instance. Of these
      three possible command line forms...
Yay, I've been waiting for this. Anyone know of a way to make other applications use XYplorer instead of Explorer? Could you replace Explorer.exe with XYplorer.exe?

jacky
XYwiki Master

Post by jacky »

Chris Wood wrote:Anyone know of a way to make other applications use XYplorer instead of Explorer? Could you replace Explorer.exe with XYplorer.exe?
I think here is what you're looking for: http://www.xyplorer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4370#4370

You gotta know though that it might "break" some things. For instance when you open the control panel it's actually done inside Explorer, so now it would just start XY :?
You can still go to you control panel by starting explorer and going there, but I'm not sure how to make a shortcut to have it opened in one click thgouh...

surrender

Post by surrender »

It was some 9 months back that I desperately searched for good explorer alternative and after testing some major products i chose TrackerV3. I think more than anything else it was the excellent user support which made a huge difference. You need a great guy to run a great product. I am happy to be here and thank Donald for his efforts.

In short, this product is EXCELLENT. :D

zridling

Delete (Skip Locked) — Wow!

Post by zridling »

LOVE the new "Delete (Skip Locked)" feature in 5.10.0039. Do you know how many times I come across this dialog and delay every day? Usually it's because I've got too many programs open or I didn't back out of a directory in another program and it's holding it.

However, contrary to the beta notes, I have not noticed any performance/speed hits yet, even when deleting thousands of files, with some locked or not. Thanks Don!
- Zaine Ridling, The Great Software blog

admin
Site Admin

Re: Delete (Skip Locked) — Wow!

Post by admin »

zridling wrote:LOVE the new "Delete (Skip Locked)" feature in 5.10.0039. Do you know how many times I come across this dialog and delay every day? Usually it's because I've got too many programs open or I didn't back out of a directory in another program and it's holding it.

However, contrary to the beta notes, I have not noticed any performance/speed hits yet, even when deleting thousands of files, with some locked or not. Thanks Don!
You'll love Ctrl+Del and Ctrl+Shift+Del in v5.10.0040, then. :D

zridling

Post by zridling »

I'm going over the changes in 5.10.0050 and am dumbstruck at how much navigational control I now have over my files now with XYplorer. I've never seen any software developed so freely, and I keep using this word: creatively. There's no fear in your code, and you don't handcuff yourself to past ways.

And I'm not just den Arsch kriechen either.

I can go just about anywhere I want in an augenblick without ever touching the mouse — now that's not just efficient, that's powerful. Thank you Don!

allen

Post by allen »

zridling wrote:I'm going over the changes in 5.10.0050 and am dumbstruck at how much navigational control I now have over my files now with XYplorer. I've never seen any software developed so freely, and I keep using this word: creatively. There's no fear in your code, and you don't handcuff yourself to past ways.

And I'm not just den Arsch kriechen either.

I can go just about anywhere I want in an augenblick without ever touching the mouse — now that's not just efficient, that's powerful. Thank you Don!
Really my sentiments exactly -- XY is King.

zridling

Post by zridling »

I will keep throwing out praise here since the betas — 5.20.0022 specifically — continue to astonish. Drag-n-drop text file creation? Drag-n-drop image copying? Are you kidding me? This is incredible. I thought only Opera browser could do this, but this removes the need since I can directly copy text that I needed (such as saving portions of forum thread, or someone's quote or post, for example) is incredibly helpful.

Don you are way, way ahead of me. Thank you!
[Correction]: Oops, I'm sorry. It's not the same! I was confusing Opera's neat little Notes feature with this drag-n-drop, but it's not the same. In Opera, you have to select, then hit CTRL+SHIFT+C to copy the selected text to the Notes section.

allen

Post by allen »

+++ Address Bar: added path name completion! If turned on then, while 
      typing into the addressbar, you get a drop-down that automatically 
      suggests *existing* file system items that match the string 
      entered so far. 
    + Menu Edit|Paste Special|Edit Clipboard...: now with icons. 
      Icons still do not adapt if you edit the list... work left to do.
Ha ha, love both of these additions -- especially the former. I found myself often using start > run to get to a location I wasn't sure about simply for the auto-completion. Now that XY does it, I can just keep it running and skip the middle step -- thanks! The icons added to the clipboard editor are a nice touch and add usability to an already amazing feature that I use quite frequently. Thanks Don!

JustinF

Post by JustinF »

allen wrote:

+++ Address Bar: added path name completion! If turned on then, while 
      typing into the addressbar, you get a drop-down that automatically 
      suggests *existing* file system items that match the string 
      entered so far. 
    + Menu Edit|Paste Special|Edit Clipboard...: now with icons. 
      Icons still do not adapt if you edit the list... work left to do.
Ha ha, love both of these additions -- especially the former. I found myself often using start > run to get to a location I wasn't sure about simply for the auto-completion. Now that XY does it, I can just keep it running and skip the middle step -- thanks! The icons added to the clipboard editor are a nice touch and add usability to an already amazing feature that I use quite frequently. Thanks Don!
Yep, address bar autocompletion is a very nice addition to XY's already huge library of features! Thanks!
Justin
Windows 7 Professional

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

For those very rare times when I use AB, having the auto-complete makes it almost fun to use, and not a PITA! Thanks much! :D
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.