Sticky Selection improvement suggestion.

Features wanted...
eil

Sticky Selection improvement suggestion.

Post by eil »

XY already has quite a useful thing -sticky selection. but it's rather uncomfortable for "mouse-users" to use it 'cause one either need to put in on a shortcut or take Tools>Customize List>Sticky Selections tour. 2 little suggestions for that:
1. make an ability to Sticky Select with middle mouse button(opening of new tab can go to another but still mouse way of clicking). i must confess- i saw it in xplorer2= but what can i do -i was so pleasantly glad to found such behavior with it :)
2. as a default white space context menu already has a submenu Select with a bunch of functions which are good to interact while "sticky", why not add a switch for Sticky Selection there?
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

admin
Site Admin

Re: Sticky Selection improvement suggestion.

Post by admin »

There is a special toolbar button to toggle Sticky Selection. You could also map a CKS to it.

eil

Post by eil »

i know about both those methods, but i was talking about only-mouse method. main things mouse is used to, is navigating with clicks and operating with files/folders with draging/selecting(!) or context menu = so selection is one of the most used "operations"(while "sticky" is one of most comfortable variants of it). 8)
besides, there is a Back button too, but we all do acknowledge usefulness of "double-click up level" :mrgreen:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

eil wrote:i know about both those methods, but i was talking about only-mouse method. main things mouse is used to, is navigating with clicks and operating with files/folders with draging/selecting(!) or context menu = so selection is one of the most used "operations"(while "sticky" is one of most comfortable variants of it). 8)
besides, there is a Back button too, but we all do acknowledge usefulness of "double-click up level" :mrgreen:
I made some tests but found it non-intuitive.

There might come the day when I add a "checkbox mode". This would offer the same functionality in a more intuitive way.

eil

Post by eil »

i see. hope that day will come sooner. thanks for tests anyway :D
still how about adding Sticky Selection switch to Select's submenu of white spaces context menu?(right there near "Select items...") or i missed it and words about tests meant such variant is bad too?.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

eil wrote:i see. hope that day will come sooner. thanks for tests anyway :D
still how about adding Sticky Selection switch to Select's submenu of white spaces context menu?(right there near "Select items...") or i missed it and words about tests meant such variant is bad too?.
What's your problem with a keyboard shortcut?

eil

Post by eil »

there are times when i can "cast away" mouse and use only keyboard, but more often there are times when i just don't have "a spare hand" and can use only mouse :roll:
edit: well ok, i understand- there are more things to do. i'll get accustomed to button/shortcut, but will live with hope for checkboxes :wink:

nony

Post by nony »

I would like to support multiple selections in list when using Sticky Selection. Currently when a sticky selection is made using mouse drag, on making new mouse drag old selected items are deselected. It's odd to select each item one by one when you know you can multiple selections :roll:

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I think it's a bit strange, but I just tested:

- click first item
- shift-click 2nd item to select a range
- control-click a new item
- shift-ctrl-click another item to select the end of the 2nd range

As far as I know, the last should work with only shift - but then the first range is lost.
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

nony

Post by nony »

Well shouldn't Sticky Selection should be done without using helping key, only with mouse. If one has to keep another key pressed while selecting then why not use Ctrl+Mouse and without Sticky selection. It would be Sticky without Sticky:)

eil

Post by eil »

didn't even notice that it's true -sticky is not quite sticky! :D actually i'd expect Sticky to keep selection any way i did it. as well as it ought to be a "no keyboard required" feature :roll:

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

Oh - after having read "multiple Selection" I didn't honor enough the word "sticky"...

So what I said before was for a multiple selection of groups *without* sticky selected!

With sticky selected it seems that on dragging the mouse from white space (necessary to open a new selection box) an old selection is lost. This can be circumvented by holding CTRL-key when starting the drag - but I think with sticky this should not be necessary. So I think it could be called a bug...
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I don't think anything doesn't work as advertised. :?

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

admin wrote:I don't think anything doesn't work as advertised. :?
I don't know exactly what's advertised :oops:

But if it's advertised like this it seems a bit 'strange'?
Shouldn't it be possible for sticky selection to select (by drawing rectangles) 2 or more areas without use of keyboard, as it also is possible to click multiple items? Must the drawing of the 2nd rectangle reset the selection of the first?

While I must say my expectation *without* sticky select isn't available in WE, too. (Tho I thought I'd seen that before, but seem to be wrong.)
Win11 Pro 223H2 Gerrman

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

By definition/advertisement, using the lasso resets any Sticky Selection. Nothing has changed here for years. There must be a very good reason to change the behavior of such an old feature.