Web Folders and Automatic Refresh

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
progint

Web Folders and Automatic Refresh

Post by progint »

Question #1
How do I get a web folder to show up in Xyplorer? The drive maps in windows, shows in windows explorer but does not show in Xplorer?

Question #2
Under VIEW, it says, "Autorefresh" (cntl-shift-r) and "Suspend Autorefresh" (shift-r). Why cannot I just select 'Autorefresh' which from my understanding means that if I (for instance) delete a folder, it will immediately refresh and show that folder gone. However the default setting for this on my VIEW menu is that BOTH are selected. How do I make 'autorefresh' default without 'autorefresh suspended' also selected?

Question #3
I want to hide my SD drive from appearing (in my case f:\) as there is nothing in it, never use it, and it reflects that it is a drive, is there a way to remove or hide it?

Thank you for your time and stewardship with my request.

nas8e9

Re: Web Folders and Automatic Refresh

Post by nas8e9 »

Hi and welcome,
progint wrote:Question #1
How do I get a web folder to show up in Xyplorer? The drive maps in windows, shows in windows explorer but does not show in Xplorer?
I'm guessing that this support isn't through a physical folder but through a shell namespace. Support for these is planned.

progint wrote:Question #2
Under VIEW, it says, "Autorefresh" (cntl-shift-r) and "Suspend Autorefresh" (shift-r). Why cannot I just select 'Autorefresh' which from my understanding means that if I (for instance) delete a folder, it will immediately refresh and show that folder gone. However the default setting for this on my VIEW menu is that BOTH are selected. How do I make 'autorefresh' default without 'autorefresh suspended' also selected?
From the help file:
Suspend Auto-Refresh

Will immediately and temporarily stop (resp. reactivate) any auto-refreshing for the current location, without changing the general Auto-Refresh setting. Auto-Refresh is automatically reactivated (only if Auto-Refresh is ON, of course) when the current location is changed.

Shortcut: Ctrl+R
Edited to add: The general setting can be set through Tools > Configuration > Advanced > Auto-Refresh > Auto-Refresh.

progint wrote:Question #3
I want to hide my SD drive from appearing (in my case f:\) as there is nothing in it, never use it, and it reflects that it is a drive, is there a way to remove or hide it?
From the beta changelog:

Code: Select all

+ Tweak to hide certain drives by letter. The drives are hidden from
      the Maxi Tree and from the Drives listing under the "Computer" node.
      E.g. this will hide drives A and B:
        HideDrivesByLetter=AB
      Note that this tweak supersedes the setting of Configuration |
      General | Show hidden drives (which retrieves the systemwide
      HIDDEN property for drives from the registry).
      An attempt to browse to such hidden drives will fail in MaxiTree
      mode. The MiniTree, however, is not affected by this tweak.
As for how to tweak, please see here.

Edited to add: You posted in the FAQ & Polls-forum, whereas the Tips & Tricks, Questions & Answers-forum seems more appropriate for your questions. No need to delete or move, but it's nice to have some correlation between board title and post content :wink:.

As for your questions, glad to have helped but it's always appreciated if you could first check the help file, the FAQ on the main website and finally search the forum before posting. For the developer and regular forum members, not seeing the same questions over and over, makes the forum slightly easier to digest. Thank you!

progint

Post by progint »

Thank you for your response... assumptions don't start a relationship off good - your comment started us off on the wrong foot...
"As for your questions, glad to have helped but it's always appreciated if you could first check the help file, the FAQ on the main website and finally search the forum before posting. For the developer and regular forum members, not seeing the same questions over and over, makes the forum slightly easier to digest. Thank you![/quote]"

Here is what my search in ALL areas to include FAQ resulted in:

1. Q#1 regarding Web Folders (result NOTHING except my posting): http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/search.php ... mit=Search

What part of 'web folder' translates to physical folder? http://www.webdavsystem.com/server/access/map_drive will better explain what I am trying to accomplish and show in xyplorer...

2. Q#2 regarding auto refresh - (result NOTHING accept mini-tree and my posting - not relevant) you did not answer it AND it has NOT been answered: http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/search.php ... mit=Search

I do NOT want 'Suspend AutoRefresh' activated and no key combination deactivates as it results to only to restore back to the same setting...a NON refreshing state... btw the forums revealed that this is an intermittent issue (see results).

I don't want it removed (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... c31887d5bd), I want the functionality of auto refresh.

3. Hiding a drive also did NOT reveal anything: 3. http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic. ... hide+drive+

I'm guessing that this support isn't through a physical folder but through a shell namespace. Support for these is planned.

This is the option for Windows 7 pro, but not in Xyplorer

progint wrote:Question #2
From the help file:
Suspend Auto-Refresh

Will immediately and temporarily stop (resp. reactivate) any auto-refreshing for the current location, without changing the general Auto-Refresh setting. Auto-Refresh is automatically reactivated (only if Auto-Refresh is ON, of course) when the current location is changed.

Shortcut: Ctrl+R
progint wrote:Question #3
From the beta changelog:

+ Tweak to hide certain drives by letter. The drives are hidden from
      the Maxi Tree and from the Drives listing under the "Computer" node.
      E.g. this will hide drives A and B:
        HideDrivesByLetter=AB
      Note that this tweak supersedes the setting of Configuration |
      General | Show hidden drives (which retrieves the systemwide
      HIDDEN property for drives from the registry).
      An attempt to browse to such hidden drives will fail in MaxiTree
      mode. The MiniTree, however, is not affected by this tweak.
As for how to tweak, please see here.

Edited to add: You posted in the FAQ & Polls-forum, whereas the Tips & Tricks, Questions & Answers-forum seems more appropriate for your questions. No need to delete or move, but it's nice to have some correlation between board title and post content :wink:.

As for your questions, glad to have helped but it's always appreciated if you could first check the help file, the FAQ on the main website and finally search the forum before posting. For the developer and regular forum members, not seeing the same questions over and over, makes the forum slightly easier to digest. Thank you![/quote]

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

As for your first question, Windows Explorer can expose functionality other than physical storage, as folders and files. It does this through the shell namespaces I mentioned, which XYplorer currently doesn't support. I don't have a WebDAV server to test XYplorer against, so I can't be sure the lack of shell namespace support causes this.
You're right that none of the locations I mentioned in the final paragraph, would have given you that answer.

I didn't get your second question but hopefully do now. I haven't encountered this problem myself and the forum search doesn't seem to throw up previous reports where Suspend Auto-Refresh can't be toggled. Have you tried running XYplorer with a clean profile yet to see if it's specific to your XYplorer configuration? The easiest way to do this is to copy only XYplorer.exe and XYcopy.exe to an empty folder and running XYplorer.exe from there (after quitting your regular XYplorer instance).

Your final question probably fell foul of the limitations of this forum's search functionality: anything contained in

tags isn't searched, which means the contents of the beta changelog can't be searched.

[quote]This is the option for Windows 7 pro, but not in Xyplorer[/quote]
I'm not sure what this refers to or what you meant by that.

In all, sorry for assuming you hadn't tried to do the things I mentioned. Given that new forum members tend not to do this as well as the fact that the hide drive letter-functionality is mentioned in this forum, I jumped to conclusions.