Double clicking a file

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Borut

Double clicking a file

Post by Borut »

I would expect (or be happy) when in case of a non-defined portable file association a registry defined association would be activated by a simple double clicking of a file. This is apparently not the case (have been trying this currently under WinXP).

I am aware that I can invoke a registry file association interpretation via the right click pop up menu, or further via XY's "Open With", or even via a CKS for the command "Open Selected Item(s) with OS Default". However, for me it would be nice to use for that a simple double click, in a sense that - when no portable file association applies - the registry association is fired.

I am aware that this might involve a sort of a complex registry searching that even depends on the Windows version on which XY runs and involves issues of global and per user registry entries. However, the registry defined association is being listed in "Open With" pop up menu, so I understand that the registry search logic is already built in XY.

I assume that there are some search speed considerations that lead to the decision not to have this possibility under a double click. However, as an optional possibility I would find it useful (even if slower than in file explorer, due to a necessary search of portable file associations and then of the registry).

Help says: "The PFAs are used on Dbl-Click, <Enter> and <Ctrl+Enter>, and they are processed from top to bottom. Hence their order is important because the first matching pattern will make it.
If none of the patterns matches the file to be opened then the global registry-based file association is used to open it. You still have direct access to the registry-based file associations via [...]"

I am writing this as a question and not a wish, as this is maybe already possible and I am just not aware how to activate it. When currently not possible, the this is most certainly my wish.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

Borut

Re: Double clicking a file

Post by Borut »

Oops, sorry - have found it myself in the meantime...

The following short script, entered as the last PFA does it:

Code: Select all

+"OPEN by Windows" *>::open (<curitem>,w);
Win 10 Pro 64bit