Custom Copy roadmap

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
nas8e9

Custom Copy roadmap

Post by nas8e9 »

Don,

First off, thank you for implementing custom copy including verification. As a not-quite power user, this will enable me to get rid of TeraCopy including its problems and seemingly frozen development.

As the title says, could you set expectations for when you envisage other aspects related to XYcopy:
1. Undo/Redo is planned for a later version, according to 9.90.1105's changelog. Do you mean XYcopy 3.0 or will it be part of a later beta version of XYcopy 2.0?
If it's pushed back to 3.0 (which I can understand given that 10.0 is overdue and XYcopy 2.0 has taken longer than anticipated), I'm not sure I'd use Custom Copy by default; Undo/Redo's safety net comes in handy frequently.
Just to be sure, deletes (which can be backgrounded) will be undoable through the Recycle Bin with Custom Copy as well?
2. One thing you considered previously was target intelligence, which to me could mean two things: automatically enabling verification when writing to certain types of drives (USB, network) as well as when to queue vs. when to run operations parallel.
3. Copying of ACL's.

Very curious what's next! :)

admin
Site Admin

Re: Custom Copy roadmap

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:Don,

First off, thank you for implementing custom copy including verification. As a not-quite power user, this will enable me to get rid of TeraCopy including its problems and seemingly frozen development.

As the title says, could you set expectations for when you envisage other aspects related to XYcopy:
1. Undo/Redo is planned for a later version, according to 9.90.1105's changelog. Do you mean XYcopy 3.0 or will it be part of a later beta version of XYcopy 2.0?
If it's pushed back to 3.0 (which I can understand given that 10.0 is overdue and XYcopy 2.0 has taken longer than anticipated), I'm not sure I'd use Custom Copy by default; Undo/Redo's safety net comes in handy frequently.
Just to be sure, deletes (which can be backgrounded) will be undoable through the Recycle Bin with Custom Copy as well?
2. One thing you considered previously was target intelligence, which to me could mean two things: automatically enabling verification when writing to certain types of drives (USB, network) as well as when to queue vs. when to run operations parallel.
3. Copying of ACL's.

1. Undo/Redo is planned for v10.10.
Deletes through the Recycle Bin with Custom Copy as well: Yes.

2. Yes, target intelligence might come, but I will first see how 10.00 impacts.

3. ACLs?

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:Don,

3. Copying of ACL's.

1. Undo/Redo is planned for v10.10.
Deletes through the Recycle Bin with Custom Copy as well: Yes.
*That* version :). Glad to hear on both counts.
admin wrote:2. Yes, target intelligence might come, but I will first see how 10.00 impacts.
I'm hoping others will like the first kind (automatically enabled for certain classes of drives). OTOH, I could easily use the Backup Operations profile if memory holds. :shock:
admin wrote:3. ACLs?
Access Control List = permissions. I think there was at least one other thread/user who requested the ability to copy more than the Windows Shell file functions could during XYcopy 1.0 development, but here's a more comprehensive, if ancient, request from Mesh.

eil

Post by eil »

great to see custom copy starting to get own UI :) wonder which improvements will follow, so keeping myself out of making questions and wishes.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:
Access Control List = permissions. I think there was at least one other thread/user who requested the ability to copy more than the Windows Shell file functions could during XYcopy 1.0 development, but here's a more comprehensive, if ancient, request from Mesh.
I'm not sure if Kernel copy is able to do this stuff.

Generally: I'm very willing to bring out v10.00 ASAP, so any refinements (apart from bug fixes, of course) will have to wait for 10.10 or later...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

eil wrote:great to see custom copy starting to get own UI :) wonder which improvements will follow, so keeping myself out of making questions and wishes.
:) Just to make sure: This is it. XYcopy 2.0 (UI name = "custom copy") is not starting, but has been finished by today's beta version (v9.90.1105).

The rest is future enhancements.

8)

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:
CopyFileEx and CreateFile can't by themselves, but there are additional API functions that can accomplish this as described here.
admin wrote:Generally: I'm very willing to bring out v10.00 ASAP, so any refinements (apart from bug fixes, of course) will have to wait for 10.10 or later...
I understand. For me, Undo/Redo is the most urgent and that's already planned.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:
admin wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:
CopyFileEx and CreateFile can't by themselves, but there are additional API functions that can accomplish this as described here.
admin wrote:Generally: I'm very willing to bring out v10.00 ASAP, so any refinements (apart from bug fixes, of course) will have to wait for 10.10 or later...
I understand. For me, Undo/Redo is the most urgent and that's already planned.
additional API functions: thanks for the hint!

Undo/Redo: I hope you are aware that overwriting will not be undoable. Curious: Why are you so keen for undo? Copying is nothing I normally undo. If at all it's move, rename, and delete.

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:Undo/Redo: I hope you are aware that overwriting will not be undoable. Curious: Why are you so keen for undo? Copying is nothing I normally undo. If at all it's move, rename, and delete.
Undoing copying is indeed not that urgent, deletes can be undone even when backgrounded to Custom Copy, but I have moves backgrounded as well. As I read the changelog, moves (when backgrounded) can't be undone until 10.1?

highend

Post by highend »

Ok, tried the custom copy function with the new beta release (and I never used the backup function before).

I'm just curious why it's displaying a progress window (which I like to have!) but as soon as you click on any
other element in XYplorer, that window will hide behind XYplorer's window.

Isn't there any possibility to add the progress window as a modal one, that attaches to the XYplorer's window?

E.g. Strg + f pop ups the status line and displays the various tabs (in this case the search tab).

Request: Please add an option to display the progress window as a tab in the pop up "window" instead of it's normal state (what we have now) and an additional option to pop it up automatically whenever a function is active that makes use of xcopy 2.0.

Please...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

highend wrote:Ok, tried the custom copy function with the new beta release (and I never used the backup function before).

I'm just curious why it's displaying a progress window (which I like to have!) but as soon as you click on any

Isn't there any possibility to add the progress window as a modal one, that attaches to the XYplorer's window?

E.g. Strg + f pop ups the status line and displays the various tabs (in this case the search tab).

Request: Please add an option to display the progress window as a tab in the pop up "window" instead of it's normal state (what we have now) and an additional option to pop it up automatically whenever a function is active that makes use of xcopy 2.0.

Please...
You apparently opted to background Copy operations, so when Custom Copy is replacing standard Copy then it is also backgrounded. If you wwant the progress to be modal simply remove Copy from the backgrounded operations.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

nas8e9 wrote:
admin wrote:Undo/Redo: I hope you are aware that overwriting will not be undoable. Curious: Why are you so keen for undo? Copying is nothing I normally undo. If at all it's move, rename, and delete.
Undoing copying is indeed not that urgent, deletes can be undone even when backgrounded to Custom Copy, but I have moves backgrounded as well. As I read the changelog, moves (when backgrounded) can't be undone until 10.1?
Not sure what you mean. Backgrounded moves are undoable ever since. And moves have nothing to do with Custom Copy. :?

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

highend wrote:Ok, tried the custom copy function with the new beta release (and I never used the backup function before).

I can name several forum members who are currently, well, dismayed. :mrgreen: By way of history: when Vista came around and before XYcopy 1.0, file operations completely blocked XYplorer's window untill the operation had completed. Users with long- running copy/move/backup jobs (potentially hours) were *very* unhappy. Even now a modal (blocking) dialog is still not desirable: it's a boon to be able to start a (long-running) file operation and still be able to do other things in XYplorer.

You do know about the Background Bar on the right of the Status Bar which indicates whether any background job is in progress and when clicked, will show the Background Jobs window which lists current and pending jobs?

As for additional visual feedback, Don has previously posted he'll look at adding the Windows 7 functionality of indicating progress in the taskbar icon of XYcopy.exe. Hopefully, this will make a later version (>= 10.10).

nas8e9

Post by nas8e9 »

admin wrote:
nas8e9 wrote:
Not sure what you mean. Backgrounded moves are undoable ever since. And moves have nothing to do with Custom Copy. :?
My bad: I was under the impression that XYcopy 2.0 would handle moves as well as copies; I now see that moves (and deletes as well) continue to be handled by the Windows Shell file functions. Personally, I'd like verification for moves as well but I'll keep my powder dry for after 10.0 is released. 8)

highend

Post by highend »

You apparently opted to background Copy operations, so when Custom Copy is replacing standard Copy then it is also backgrounded. If you wwant the progress to be modal simply remove Copy from the backgrounded operations.
Sure I want it to run in the background. Is there anyone who does not want to be able to work with XYplorer in the meantime?

Sorry, I don't get it why a progress bar can't be displayed in the visible part of XYplorer (and stays visible!) although the command itself is backgrounded.
You do know about the Background Bar on the right of the Status Bar which indicates whether any background job is in progress and when clicked, will show the Background Jobs window which lists current and pending jobs?
This "visual feedback" is 16x12 px large on a monitor with a resolution of 1680 x 1050 and it doesn't provide any of the details that the xcopy 2.0 window shows (transfer rate / remaining time).

I picture of how this could look like:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/95222420.jpg/
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal