Two Catalogue suggestions (and one question)

Features wanted...
rhoelzl

Two Catalogue suggestions (and one question)

Post by rhoelzl »

I would like to make the following two suggestions to make the catalogue more practical:

1. Auto-size catalogue pane
The catalogue is great, but when I am currently not using it, it takes away precious space from the tree. Therefore I think it would be great if the pane of the catalogue would automatically change its size depending on its content's size. So if I collapse a category, the catalogue would need less vertical space, the catalogue pane would automatically get smaller, and there would be more screen space to display the tree.
Obviously, there should bit an upper limit for auto-sizing ("never use more than 50% of vertical space for the catalogue" or something similar), ideally this percentage should be user-definable.

2. Auto-collapse "all other" categories.
I would like to have an option that makes the catalogue behave in such a way that either all categories are collapsed, or, at most one is non-collapsed. That is, when I click on the " + " to open one category, all the other categories should automatically collapse.

Okay, and I have this question:
I use XY on two computers, but sync the configuration data through Dropbox. Is there way to make the two different installations use two different catalogues, one for each computer? Thanks!

arirish

Re: Two Catalogue suggestions (and one question)

Post by arirish »

rhoelzl wrote:Okay, and I have this question:
I use XY on two computers, but sync the configuration data through Dropbox. Is there way to make the two different installations use two different catalogues, one for each computer? Thanks!
There is now! Check out the latest release! I do exactly the same thing, using Dropbox, and this feature is really exciting for me :D

rhoelzl

Post by rhoelzl »

the_hyrax_lord wrote:
rhoelzl wrote:Okay, and I have this question:
There is now! Check out the latest release! I do exactly the same thing, using Dropbox, and this feature is really exciting for me :D
I know that there is now on-the-fly loading of other catalogues, but how do I need to setup my config files so that one catalogue always gets used on the one computer and the other on the other computer?

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

By using either different XYplorer.ini files or even better different Admin.ini files pointing to the different catalaogs.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

RalphM wrote:By using either different XYplorer.ini files or even better different Admin.ini files pointing to the different catalaogs.
...Admin.ini files pointing to the different catalaogs? That's not implemented yet. :)

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Oops, sorry, I thought pointing to the main catalog had already made it to Admin.ini and you just weren't too sure about the cascading stuff...

...which only leaves the option with the different XYplorer.ini files, for the moment.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

rhoelzl

Post by rhoelzl »

RalphM wrote:...which only leaves the option with the different XYplorer.ini files, for the moment.
Okay, too bad. Because I do the Dropbox-sync exactly because I want the same XYplorer.ini on both machines. Well, I guess I will have to be patient.

tomuser

Post by tomuser »

rhoelzl wrote: 2. Auto-collapse "all other" categories.
I would like to have an option that makes the catalogue behave in such a way that either all categories are collapsed, or, at most one is non-collapsed. That is, when I click on the " + " to open one category, all the other categories should automatically collapse.
This is been requested before also. Even by myself : )

Stefan

Post by Stefan »

rhoelzl wrote: but how do I need to setup my config files so
that one catalogue always gets used on the one computer
and the other on the other computer?
Not automatically, but perhaps as work around by pressing on link to load the desired catalog:

A:
If your catalogs are named as the <hostname> of each pc you can try to use catalogload "CAT_%ComputerName%.dat";

B:
Or you have in each catalog an item to just load the other catalog: catalogload "CATother.dat";

See "help > scripting > catalogload" for more about this command.

HTH?

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Stefan wrote:Not automatically, but perhaps as work around by pressing on link to load the desired catalog...
You can also execute scripts via command line, so you could change the shortcut to XY on each computer to include:

Code: Select all

xyplorer.exe /script="::catalogload 'customCatalog.dat';"
Note that I haven't played with this so I'm not sure if this would really work or if there's any conflicts that it creates.

rhoelzl

Post by rhoelzl »

Thanks Stefan, I like the %ComputerName% idea.

Is there a way to execute this scripting command automatically when XY starts up?

rhoelzl

Post by rhoelzl »

TheQwerty wrote:

xyplorer.exe /script="::catalogload 'customCatalog.dat';"
can you set this in the xyplorer ini file instead? Because then it would be portable and much more elegant.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

rhoelzl wrote:can you set this in the xyplorer ini file instead? Because then it would be portable and much more elegant.
No.. but you could use a batch file instead:

start XYplorer.exe /script="::catalogload '%ComputerName%.dat';"

rhoelzl

Post by rhoelzl »

Well that would not help, I would still have to modify the registry on every computer. Of course that could be done from a batch file as well, but its pretty ugly.

Isn't there a way to set a script that runs every time XY start?

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

rhoelzl wrote:Well that would not help, I would still have to modify the registry on every computer. Of course that could be done from a batch file as well, but its pretty ugly.

Isn't there a way to set a script that runs every time XY start?
Erm.. why would you need to modify the registry?