XY preventing Renaming/Moving Operations.

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
SkyFrontier

XY preventing Renaming/Moving Operations.

Post by SkyFrontier »

I am preparing this machine to a massive external backup operation.
I am sorting stuff across 34 folders (easily created with the Series Maker Script) which will be later burned into CD-ROMs.
But now and then I am unable to either move a folder around or rename it to something else. After turning off several programs, I tracked down to XY being the cause for the problem (shutting it down allowed me perform the same locked operation via another instance of XY which I always keep at hand because of things like that). Then I tried to disable some undo features, finally disabled it entirely... and nothing! Still the same problem.
>Can you please check this out, Don?
Thanks!
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!
Want a new XYperience? XY MOD - surfYnXoard
-coz' the aim of computing is to free us to LIVE...

admin
Site Admin

Re: XY preventing Renaming/Moving Operations.

Post by admin »

Auto-Refresh puts a lock on the current folder. Try to disable it.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Thanks for the tip. Trying it out and report later - after the job done and having enough operations done so I can report properly.
New User's Ref. Guide and Quick Setup Guide can help a bit! Check XYplorer Resources Index for many useful links!

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

First impression: no go.
But this one may have a particular: I've Sandboxed a test file and after closing it, PowerDesk was about to rename the folder containing it, XY couldn't - until I closed Sandboxie itself.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

Zeroed down on this:
Each time I enter a path into the address bar to a file, say C:\Temp\xy\TimestampingSuite_v3.xys, I will always have the parent directory locked ("xy", in case).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SkyFrontier wrote:Zeroed down on this:
Each time I enter a path into the address bar to a file, say C:\Temp\xy\TimestampingSuite_v3.xys, I will always have the parent directory locked ("xy", in case).
Ok, this is the other thing that puts a lock. Solution: Uncheck Address Bar under Configuration | Advanced | Auto-Complete Path Names.

Cause: Mysteriously, the Shell (which is doing this auto-complete job) puts a lock on the folder and never releases it.

SkyFrontier

Post by SkyFrontier »

It's a bit cumbersome, but knowing about this I'd prefer to preserve the auto-completion and use the address bar as an indirect redirector to the item I'm wanting to focus.
So for instance if I want to go to C:\Temp\xy\TimestampingSuite_v3.xys, I prefer to delete (select/CTRL+X) the TimestampingSuite_v3.xys part of the address and use Spot later if that was the case rather than losing the auto-complete feature - which is a major time saver for me!
Anyway, thanks for the tip!

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:Cause: Mysteriously, the Shell (which is doing this auto-complete job) puts a lock on the folder and never releases it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the shell only put a lock on the drive for auto-complete?

And to unlock it generally all you have to do is get it to auto-complete a different path, so you can leave it enabled if you don't mind opening the auto-complete list now and again.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:
admin wrote:Cause: Mysteriously, the Shell (which is doing this auto-complete job) puts a lock on the folder and never releases it.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the shell only put a lock on the drive for auto-complete?
On the drive? No, on the folder that is last browsed/listed by the auto-complete.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:On the drive? No, on the folder that is last browsed/listed by the auto-complete.
Watching it now it seems to be flakey.. I typically only get the lock on the drive, not on the folders.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:
admin wrote:On the drive? No, on the folder that is last browsed/listed by the auto-complete.
Watching it now it seems to be flakey.. I typically only get the lock on the drive, not on the folders.
Me on the last auto-completed folders. Always.

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

admin wrote:Me on the last auto-completed folders. Always.
Hmmm.. :? All my testing was done with a removable drive so maybe that makes a difference?

Or maybe it's all the crap IT forces on us, Symantec and Check Point might be getting in the way.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

TheQwerty wrote:
admin wrote:Me on the last auto-completed folders. Always.
Hmmm.. :? All my testing was done with a removable drive so maybe that makes a difference?

Or maybe it's all the crap IT forces on us, Symantec and Check Point might be getting in the way.
I only hope that I find the time one day to emulate this shell crap...