A few wishes (but otherwise an excellent program)

Features wanted...
admin
Site Admin

Re: A few wishes (but otherwise an excellent program)

Post by admin »

Zigo wrote:
admin wrote:OK, now I did indeed find a minor flaw in History Per Tab (independently of History without dupes): One tab can steal items from the history of another tab. But this can only happen when you travel via right-clicking the back/forward buttons and select a non-bold entry. This will steal the entry from the tab (the tab's history) it belongs to. This cannot be fixed (other than not showing those items in the menu) and does not a fix very badly IMO.
Yep that's the problem.

I agree it doesn't need an urgent fix or anything, I just thought I'd raise the point.

It's one of those things where I think: "surely that must be easy, don't they look at the same history when you left or right click?" - but I don't know how you developed the software, so it could be loads more complicated than that :)
The right-click on the buttons offers you (who opted for history-per-tab) a glimpse on the global history. The same is true for menu Go / History... What should I do when you break your own law and use the history of another tab for your tab? No chance within my current architecture: each history item can only be assigned to one tab. The only thing I could do is not offer that glimpse. :|

Zigo

Post by Zigo »

My point is that the right click list should just show a combination of the 'back' list plus the 'forward' list, which are correct.

I don't intend on choosing the history from another tab in the current tab - that would be confusing

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zigo wrote:My point is that the right click list should just show a combination of the 'back' list plus the 'forward' list, which are correct.

I don't intend on choosing the history from another tab in the current tab - that would be confusing
You mean it should only show the bold entries, right? (which then would not have to be bold, of course)

Zigo

Post by Zigo »

admin wrote:
Zigo wrote:My point is that the right click list should just show a combination of the 'back' list plus the 'forward' list, which are correct.

You mean it should only show the bold entries, right? (which then would not have to be bold, of course)
No...

I don't know how to explain it any other way. Let's say this is the history for my (one, single) tab:

1 - C:\a
2 - C:\b
3 - C:\c
4 - C:\d
5 - C:\e

If I'm at 2, when I click the down arrow next to back I see 1, and forward I see 3, 4, 5
If I'm at 4, when I click the down arrow next to back I see 1, 2, 3, and forward I see 5

These both work correctly.

So when I right click the back/forward area, I should see 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 no matter where I am, with my current location shown in bold

Zigo

Post by Zigo »

I've just been reading the help and found that it does work the way you're talking about, and not like I'm saying. So I guess it's not a bug as such, it's just how you've implemented a feature:

(in the help, under History per Tab (HPT)):
(3) In the all-history popup menu (triggered via right-click "Back"/"Forward" TB buttons, or via KS) those history items belonging to the current tab are shown bold.

(4) If History without duplicates (see above) is enabled then duplicates on different tabs are tolerated.
That's my mistake, I didn't realise you have deliberately made it work like that.

I was assuming that the functionality was like in the drop down next to back/forward in Explorer, i.e. showing the entire [tab] history (forward and back) with the current location highlighted in bold.

Ok, I'll reword my original question #1 then :) Can you provide an option for this Explorer-like functionality?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zigo wrote:Ok, I'll reword my original question #1 then :) Can you provide an option for this Explorer-like functionality?
Uhm, now I lost you. :) (or is it "You lost me" in English?)

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:
Zigo wrote:5. I've never liked Explorer's "different view per folder" setting. I like everything to be consistent - that includes the sort order. However, it's possible to have different sort orders for each location (navigating forward to new locations keeps the same order, but going back to previous locations will restore the sort order from that location). Is there a way to set an option like "always use current sort order for every location", which is what happens in XP Explorer?
A thought about it and started to like the idea. So I added a tweak (next beta version):
RetainListSettingsAcrossTabs
If it's good I will elevate the setting to UI level.
Given that FVS consists of 4 settings (view mode, sort order, col layout, list style), could the tweak/UI be a binary combo switch so that we could retain 3 of the 4 but keep 1? Like 15=all on, but 7=sort+col+list only? Or something similar?

As I said in the other thread:
the only downside that I can see would be if I had one tab that is mostly images and thus thumbs would be better temporary view and other tabs are non-images, it seems it would not be possible to do that, but having the layouts be same otherwise is good.
so having ability to isolate the components of settings could help in this...or as maybe alternative, at least be able to isolate view mode from the other settings on this tweek by option 2 vs 1 as the other three seem to be more applicable to all tabs regardless of content.

BTW, I'm presently not using FVS as while I found it handly in some cases, overall it didn't seem to fit my style of working but maybe I'd just not set it up ideally either.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

j_c_hallgren wrote:
admin wrote:
Zigo wrote:5. I've never liked Explorer's "different view per folder" setting. I like everything to be consistent - that includes the sort order. However, it's possible to have different sort orders for each location (navigating forward to new locations keeps the same order, but going back to previous locations will restore the sort order from that location). Is there a way to set an option like "always use current sort order for every location", which is what happens in XP Explorer?
A thought about it and started to like the idea. So I added a tweak (next beta version):
RetainListSettingsAcrossTabs
If it's good I will elevate the setting to UI level.
Given that FVS consists of 4 settings (view mode, sort order, col layout, list style), could the tweak/UI be a binary combo switch so that we could retain 3 of the 4 but keep 1? Like 15=all on, but 7=sort+col+list only? Or something similar?

As I said in the other thread:
the only downside that I can see would be if I had one tab that is mostly images and thus thumbs would be better temporary view and other tabs are non-images, it seems it would not be possible to do that, but having the layouts be same otherwise is good.
so having ability to isolate the components of settings could help in this...or as maybe alternative, at least be able to isolate view mode from the other settings on this tweek by option 2 vs 1 as the other three seem to be more applicable to all tabs regardless of content.

BTW, I'm presently not using FVS as while I found it handly in some cases, overall it didn't seem to fit my style of working but maybe I'd just not set it up ideally either.
Yeah, this would work! Makes the configuration UI more complicated but good idea!

I'm thinking about reversing the logic of the label and call it something like this:
Remember list settings per tab:
[ ] View mode
[ ] Sort order
[ ] Column layout
[ ] List style

The current factory default is all checked. I think that should stay like this, or?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zigo wrote:3. If in a subfolder, e.g. C:\abc\xyz, and I collapse the C:\abc folder, I am taken straight to C:\abc. This is the behaviour of XP Explorer and earlier. However, Vista and 7 keep you in the C:\abc\xyz folder even though it's no longer visible in the tree. Is there an option to emulate this?

4. The history numbering seems reversed to me. My initial location should be #1, and every subsequent location should be #2, #3 and upwards. However it always shows the latest (most 'forward') location as #1, and increments everything else when you go forward again. Is there an option to allow this to be reversed?

6. If I'm currently in another program but can see XYplorer behind the current window, if I drag a file from XYplorer to my current program, XYplorer takes the focus on mouse down, which may obscure my other window. Can it be made that the focus is only given on mouse up, as with Explorer?

[7.] Also, this is probably unlikely, but is there any way to undo a navigation? One thing that's always annoyed me with Explorer is if I have a sizeable back/forward history and am currently a long way 'back', then accidentally navigate to a different folder, causing me to lose everything 'forward'. XYplorer is understandably the same. It would be nice if it was possible to undo the navigation to restore the history.
3. No. :)
4. Did anybody try the new tweak HistoryFirstIsOne? Should this maybe even be the factory default. Calling the oldest/first item number one is not that far out...
6. No, I'd like to but never found out how. Workaround: Drag via taskbar to foreground the other app.
7. No, sorry.

j_c_hallgren
XY Blog Master

Post by j_c_hallgren »

admin wrote:Yeah, this would work! Makes the configuration UI more complicated but good idea!
Yea, I realize it makes it more work but in the example I used, it almost becomes crucial as having a folder full of XLS or TXT doesn't need thumbs but a folder of JPG's may need it now and then and having the other tab(s) get thumb'd wouldn't work as good.
admin wrote:I'm thinking about reversing the logic of the label and call it something like this:
[ ] View mode
[ ] Sort order
[ ] Column layout
[ ] List style

The current factory default is all checked. I think that should stay like this, or?
That all be checked as std/deflt would be fine, I think.
Still spending WAY TOO much time here! But it's such a pleasure helping XY be a treasure!
(XP on laptop with touchpad and thus NO mouse!) Using latest beta vers when possible.

nony

Post by nony »

admin wrote: I'm thinking about reversing the logic of the label and call it something like this:
[ ] View mode
[ ] Sort order
[ ] Column layout
[ ] List style

I think last three would be better. User can change view of all tabs currently.

Zigo

Post by Zigo »

admin wrote:
Zigo wrote:Ok, I'll reword my original question #1 then :) Can you provide an option for this Explorer-like functionality?
It's "you lost me" :)

See how Explorer (Vista/7) and Internet Explorer do it with the drop down arrow next to back/forward.

Firefox does the same too with a right click.

All I am after is, when you right click, you get [back list] + [current location] + [forward list]

Jibz

Post by Jibz »

admin wrote:3. No. :)
Could there be? :wink:
admin wrote:6. No, I'd like to but never found out how. Workaround: Drag via taskbar to foreground the other app.
I am guessing something along the lines of handling WM_MOUSEACTIVATE by returning MA_NOACTIVATE, but I haven't tried it.

DO has this feature as well (being able to drag from it without it coming to the front).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zigo wrote:
admin wrote:
It's "you lost me" :)

See how Explorer (Vista/7) and Internet Explorer do it with the drop down arrow next to back/forward.

Firefox does the same too with a right click.

All I am after is, when you right click, you get [back list] + [current location] + [forward list]
That's what I meant by
You mean it should only show the bold entries, right? (which then would not have to be bold, of course).
some posts ago. You said "No..." to this, but I guess at that point you had not read the help file yet. :P

Conc. the wish: I agree with it. :)

Zigo

Post by Zigo »

admin wrote:
Zigo wrote:3. If in a subfolder, e.g. C:\abc\xyz, and I collapse the C:\abc folder, I am taken straight to C:\abc. This is the behaviour of XP Explorer and earlier. However, Vista and 7 keep you in the C:\abc\xyz folder even though it's no longer visible in the tree. Is there an option to emulate this?

4. The history numbering seems reversed to me. My initial location should be #1, and every subsequent location should be #2, #3 and upwards. However it always shows the latest (most 'forward') location as #1, and increments everything else when you go forward again. Is there an option to allow this to be reversed?

6. If I'm currently in another program but can see XYplorer behind the current window, if I drag a file from XYplorer to my current program, XYplorer takes the focus on mouse down, which may obscure my other window. Can it be made that the focus is only given on mouse up, as with Explorer?

[7.] Also, this is probably unlikely, but is there any way to undo a navigation? One thing that's always annoyed me with Explorer is if I have a sizeable back/forward history and am currently a long way 'back', then accidentally navigate to a different folder, causing me to lose everything 'forward'. XYplorer is understandably the same. It would be nice if it was possible to undo the navigation to restore the history.
3. No. :)
4. Did anybody try the new tweak HistoryFirstIsOne? Should this maybe even be the factory default. Calling the oldest/first item number one is not that far out...
6. No, I'd like to but never found out how. Workaround: Drag via taskbar to foreground the other app.
7. No, sorry.
3. Ok I'll rephrase - is it possible for you to provide an option for this? I appreciate this may be quite difficult, so it's not a problem if you can't.

4. I've tried the new tweak and it works fine, thank you :)

6. I'll see if I can find anything out about that for you. Yeah I know the workaround, sometimes those other apps/Windows doesn't make it foreground properly though :)

7. In the help for "History without duplicates", it says:
When your current history position is somewhere in the past and you then jump to a new location the "previous future" is not discarded but shifted down one position.
This sounds like what I'm after, but it doesn't seem to work (I may be looking in the wrong place).

Also, I see that List Management (Recent Locations) keeps the correct track of where I've been. If I accidentally navigate to an unwanted location, I'd want to delete entry #1 in Recent Locations and restore the history. Manually deleting entry #1 doesn't do anything more than just that though :)

Just browsing the .ini file for tweaks ;) What does FolderThumbsShell do? I ask because if I go into a folder which contains a lot of installation programs (where I keep every app I've downloaded), it becomes very slow as it tries to get each icon, and I wondered if it could be speeded up.