Synchronize dates on copied folders?

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
avsfan

Synchronize dates on copied folders?

Post by avsfan »

Hi,

I thought I had seen something like this before, but couldn't find it.

Here's the situation. I just got a new machine, and copied a very large directory to the new disk. (now we'll get to see what issues I see with Win7/64...)

No problem with the copy, except that the modified date/time for all the folders in the new structure is the time that the folder was copied rather than the modified date from the source folder. (I realize now that I probably could have used the "backup" function rather than the copy and it would have preserved those dates, right?)

In any case, I'd rather not copy the entire directory again if I can avoid it (but I would really like to have the modified dates be the same). Is there an easy way to synchronize those dates? It seems that scripting is the obvious answer here, but I'm not sure...

Thanks!

andy

avsfan

Re: Synchronize dates on copied folders?

Post by avsfan »

OK, so I just decided to use the "backup to" functionality while I slept, and all is as it should be...

I'm just curious why the copy operation doesn't maintain the directory modified dates... (I know Explorer does it that way, it just doesn't make sense to me why it would do that -- fortunately XY's backup function does it right!)

Still, a script to synchronize folder dates (and perhaps file dates as well if the files are identical) might be handy at times...

admin
Site Admin

Re: Synchronize dates on copied folders?

Post by admin »

XY's copy is handled by the shell, so it is 100% identical to Explorer's copy -- that's why.

Synchronize functions are on the roadmap.