Sometimes XY won't display the contents of USB drives

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
raven

Sometimes XY won't display the contents of USB drives

Post by raven »

I have been experiencing this for quite a while. I just got version 8.00 and was hoping it might be fixed, but alas it is not. For whatever reason, XY sometimes refuses to show the contents of USB drives. I have one plugged in right now and XY displays two icons on the drive icon in the tree. One is a red cirlce with a line through it, the other is a red circle with a white question mark in it. When I click on the drive, it displays the message "Location currently not available". I open up Windows Explorer and have no problem seeing the contents of the drive.

Right after I typed the paragraph above, I decided to unplug the drive and plug it back in. Now XY can read it. Any idea why XY sometimes has problems with USB drives?

serendipity

Re: Sometimes XY won't display the contents of USB drives

Post by serendipity »

raven wrote:I have been experiencing this for quite a while. I just got version 8.00 and was hoping it might be fixed, but alas it is not. For whatever reason, XY sometimes refuses to show the contents of USB drives. I have one plugged in right now and XY displays two icons on the drive icon in the tree. One is a red cirlce with a line through it, the other is a red circle with a white question mark in it. When I click on the drive, it displays the message "Location currently not available". I open up Windows Explorer and have no problem seeing the contents of the drive.

Right after I typed the paragraph above, I decided to unplug the drive and plug it back in. Now XY can read it. Any idea why XY sometimes has problems with USB drives?
Hi and Welcome to XYplorer!
It could be that your tree is not refreshed. Next time could you refresh tree (F4) and see if you see the contents?
Also, do you have the option "Auto-refresh on file system changes" checked in "Tools | Configuration |Advanced"?

raven

Post by raven »

I do have the option "Auto-refresh on file system changes" turned on. I haven't tried hitting F4 when this problem occurs, but I don't think it would help. The reason I think this is that when I connect the drive, it shows up it in the tree. So, hasn't the tree already refreshed at this point? It knows there is a drive there but can't read it for some reason.

This problem is intermittent. I just now connected and disconnected two different USB drives, several times each, and I'm having no problems. I guess I can't provide much to go on at this point. I'll try to find a pattern to this behavior.

serendipity

Post by serendipity »

raven wrote:I do have the option "Auto-refresh on file system changes" turned on. I haven't tried hitting F4 when this problem occurs, but I don't think it would help. The reason I think this is that when I connect the drive, it shows up it in the tree. So, hasn't the tree already refreshed at this point? It knows there is a drive there but can't read it for some reason.

This problem is intermittent. I just now connected and disconnected two different USB drives, several times each, and I'm having no problems. I guess I can't provide much to go on at this point. I'll try to find a pattern to this behavior.
Yep, finding a pattern would help. Meanwhile, what happens if you restart XY and plugin USB? Because sometimes after the USB is detected once the problem might not be seen, but after restart you might see this problem.