Freeze during copying on Vista 32-bit

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
ivan

Freeze during copying on Vista 32-bit

Post by ivan »

Since this problem has STILL not been solved in 7.5, I feel the need to file an official bug report. I have posted my issues in this http://www.xyplorer.com/xyfc/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2626 topic already but it's in a different section. Quick summary in quotes:

"Yes, I can confirm that the copy does continue despite the freezing state. However, it has annoying habit of coming back in your face after the copy is done even if you already have another app running on the foreground.

Basically, using XYplorer to copy files of large size renders it unusable, which is in stark contrast to Windows Explorer. Currently, that's the only major downside that really gets me down :("

"This puts a rather delicate spin on the situation. On the main site's first page it says twice that XYplorer is Vista-compatible, yet the compatibility seems to break down somewhere along the line when, for example, I try to transfer 5-10GB from my portable HDD to PC's main HDD using XYplorer.

This is reminiscent of that "Vista Capable" suit that's causing quite a stir in the States. It's logical so assume that if it's claimed that a piece of software is Vista-compatible then support should be provided in case this claim is undermined. Don't get me wrong, in all other aspects of OS compatibility XYplorer works fine, but copying files between places is one of the fundamental aspects of file management and making sure that it works 100% should be a top priority."

"Perhaps the system functions in Vista are less happy to be used by 3rd party tools. I am, of course, speculating there. However, I sincerely hope that the speed of this research will be accelerated. This hope is largely based on claims that XYplorer is supposed to be as accommodating and similar to WE for newbies as possible. In Vista, I am able to use WE freely while the transfer is happening. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of XYplorer. I hope it won't scare off too many people.

Ever since I started to experience this, I now only have 2 options: a) cheating on XY (:P) by using Windows Explorer to transfer files [regardless if I want to do anything at the same time] b) start the transfer in XYplorer and go "put the kettle on" metaphorically speaking. Understandably, neither of those options are 100% appealing."

This really needs to get solved. Right now I CAN'T use XY to copy files whose transfer would take any more than 5 minutes and do something else at the same time. This is very important and I can't give XY a full recommendation unless this is sorted.
Windows Vista Business SP1 32-bit, Logitech MX400 mouse, SetPoint 4.60.122

admin
Site Admin

Re: Freeze during copying on Vista 32-bit

Post by admin »

I heard you. ATM I can only admit that there is a freezing when copying large files under Vista SP1.

@those who copy via TeraCopy:
Just to make sure: There is no such freeze in Vista SP1 with TeraCopy??

ivan

Post by ivan »

admin wrote:I heard you. ATM I can only admit that there is a freezing when copying large files under Vista SP1.
I have had this problem for close to 5 months now, almost since I started using XY. I am very interested in knowing what you can do to solve and how I can help.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

ivan wrote:
admin wrote:I heard you. ATM I can only admit that there is a freezing when copying large files under Vista SP1.
I have had this problem for close to 5 months now, almost since I started using XY. I am very interested in knowing what you can do to solve and how I can help.
Nothing at the moment. I'll have to organize a Vista SP1 system first.

ivan

Post by ivan »

admin wrote:Nothing at the moment. I'll have to organize a Vista SP1 system first.
This is what you said 2 months ago. Now I appreciate that you were on holiday but that only made matters worse because the longer you wait for a problem to be solved the worse it becomes. In my opinion, solving this problem with copying is more important than Folder Specific Settings but that was clearly not the case with you. Please, we either fix this together or you need to stop false advertising by saying that XY is Vista compatible, while it's clearly not.

kiku

Post by kiku »

@those who copy via TeraCopy:
Just to make sure: There is no such freeze in Vista SP1 with TeraCopy??
Hello,
I confirm that there is no problem with copy operations with XYplorer/Teracopy in Windows Vista 32-bits.
But that's not the perfect solution because you cannot interact between Windows Explorer and XYplorer/Teracopy (just imagine that you are browsing your desktop or a folder on your desktop with Explorer and want to copy something to a location on XYplorer: copy/paste will not work)

So please improve XYplorer file operations on Vista!!
Best regards

kiku

Post by kiku »

More information regarding this issue:
I had the chance to test XYplorer on another installation, the Windows Vista Ultimate with no service pack at all and it worked correctly.

So:
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP1 - freeze during copy
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit no-SP - copy operation normal

Will try to install SP1 on the Vista Ultimate installation

Regards

lukescammell

Post by lukescammell »

Not a problem with x64 *shrug*.
Used to update to the latest beta every day. Now I have children instead…
Windows 10 Pro x64 (everywhere except phone…)

ivan

Post by ivan »

Perhaps this affects only 32-bit non-Ultimate versions, let's keep those reports flowing! :D We need to be a bit more proactive in determining the cause :wink:

mwb1100

Post by mwb1100 »

I have no idea if there will be helpful information here, but a while back Mark Russinovich did an in-depth article on the changes made to Visat SP1 to improve file copying performance - both perceived and actual:

http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovic ... 26167.aspx

ivan

Post by ivan »

lukescammell wrote:Not a problem with x64 *shrug*.
Is your x64 Vista with SP1 installed or not?

ivan

Post by ivan »

mwb1100 wrote:I have no idea if there will be helpful information here, but a while back Mark Russinovich did an in-depth article on the changes made to Visat SP1 to improve file copying performance - both perceived and actual:

This may be the cause of the problem. I don't have a non-SP1 system to test it on but I hope other people have. Obviously, rolling back SP1 install is not an option so XY will have to have a workaround to fix this.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

mwb1100 wrote:I have no idea if there will be helpful information here, but a while back Mark Russinovich did an in-depth article on the changes made to Visat SP1 to improve file copying performance - both perceived and actual:

Very interesting stuff! At the bottom he says: "File copying is not as easy as it might first appear, but the product team took feedback they got from Vista customers very seriously and spent hundreds of hours evaluating different approaches and tuning the final implementation to restore most copy scenarios to at least the performance of previous versions of Windows and drastically improve some key scenarios. The changes apply both to Explorer copies as well as to ones initiated by applications using the CopyFileEx API ..."

XYplorer uses the CopyFileEx API in its Backup/Backup To family of copy functions. So, if Mark Russinovich is right, they should have become faster in Vista SP1.

ivan

Post by ivan »

admin wrote:XYplorer uses the CopyFileEx API in its Backup/Backup To family of copy functions. So, if Mark Russinovich is right, they should have become faster in Vista SP1.
Reading that created a hope that if we can establish that it's SP1 that's "at fault" then we can keep digging to narrow it down. Though it would be immensely helpful if you had a Vista test machine so you could test things on the other end too...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This issue will be solved when I add native Super-Fast File Copy (aka "XYcopy") which will make use of the CopyFileEx API and thus avoid any Vista Shell specifics.