slow browsing on network drives

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
mussor

slow browsing on network drives

Post by mussor »

So, don't know how to exactly put this. But I am getting frustrated with slower network browsing with XYplorer.
Windows Explorer is like 3x times faster doing the job than XY is. Total Commander is about the same speed as Win Explorer - much faster.

Drive is connected via VPN (Ivanti Secure Access client)

It's even slower when I am doing some copying to or from network drive (XY custom copy). No drive is mapped.

Cache network servers ON
Assume servers available ON
Use generic icons on network locations ON
No network browsing on startup ON
Recconect mapped drives OFF

version 25.80.0300
I've tried disabling all the options and viceversa. Is there something I am missing? I feel like I've tried everything already... have this problem for ever I think, even with older versions

admin
Site Admin

Re: slow browsing on network drives

Post by admin »

What exactly is slow? Is it hanging at some point, or is the processing generally slow?

mussor

Post by mussor »

Slow in means of browsing, viewing, opening
- it takes longer to display contents of folders
- it takes longer for files to open
*than in WinExplorer

but XYplorer remains responsive during that, if I for example hit some key like arrow down a few times in between loading the folder content, after loading it it will move the selection to appropriate item..

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can't explain it. :|

mussor

Post by mussor »

You do get the same "speed" as in alternatives?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes.

o7blue

Post by o7blue »

I have both iSCSI and SMB shares I access through XYplorer, and the only time I had any problems was when I enabled the aspect ratio column and forgot about it. Basically every time I'd navigate to a bigger network drive (with thousands of pictures) it'd try to calculate the aspect ratio for all the items. That was obviously not good for the general browsing experience. To see if you enabled something that might have an impact, put this in your address bar and hit enter:

fresh;

It'll spawn a vanilla xy window. See if you're getting the same issues there.

mussor

Post by mussor »

Thanks for suggestion o7blue!

Unfortunately, it's even slower with "fresh;" instance..
With Explorer I got almost instant listing of files nad folders. With XY it's hiccuped... :/

I'm actually gradually getting frustrated with XY and its quirks. I am getting worse experience with XY in terms of performance doing network browsing and browsing usb devices like smartphones than with stock Explorer. And that's sad because in the beginning when I started using XY few years ago I totally adored it.
Of course, admin's responses does add up to it. Few posts I've made here, often I got reactions like "can't explain", 'works fine here".