Droppable User Button Custom Captions

Features wanted...
robertoleonardo

Droppable User Button Custom Captions

Post by robertoleonardo »

hi - i've been using DUBs more often recently but i cannot for the life of me figure out something that seems like it has to be achievable -- is there no way to customize the caption of a DUB? I'm trying to get rid of some ugly paths that show up in the caption of DUBs. (i.e., i want a DUB for "paper:robs_paper_folder", but i would like the tool bar caption to just say "RJL Paper" underneath the icon)

i see here that it can be done for dropDOWN buttons -- viewtopic.php?p=73058&hilit=droppable+b ... ion#p73058. but it looks like the format '"caption" [path]' doesn't work for DUBs.

i also see that it's possible to create text LABELS for DUBs -- but that wouldn't hide the ugly caption text (and i don't want to disable caption text on toolbar more generally because i rely on captions pretty heavily).

admin
Site Admin

Re: Droppable User Button Custom Captions

Post by admin »

Makes sense. In the next beta you can define the Name as "RJL Paper" paper:robs_paper_folder, and the button caption will just be RJL Paper.

robertoleonardo

MY HERO. thank you!!!

robertoleonardo

So i'm on the newest beta - it looks like the caption now changes, but it seems to break the functionality of the button. Clicking it no longer takes me to the paper folder, and dragging onto it no longer adds to the paper folder. the hover tip still says its a droppable user button but it doesn't seem to work as one after adding changing the name field to ' "rjl paper" paper:rjl'

it looks like the quoted caption at the beginning is being interpreted as paper of the path because when i click the button, i now get an error in status bar saying, "not found - c:\program files (x86)\xyplorer\rjl paper". my paper folders are in the standard "<xydata>\paper" [%appdata%\xyplorer\paper] -- so not sure why, but the new name line formatting seems to be telling it to look in the application folder path instead of the application data folder path, and it's lookign for the prettified caption name not the actual paper folder name.

note also that if i just use the following name line -- ' "RJL" paper:rjl' -- clicking the button DOES take me somewhere...but it takes me to my user folder (c:\users\rjl). so that further suggests that xyplorer is not ignoring the quoted part of the name line when determining path -- it's treating that part as part of the path.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Whoops, should have tested it :) Upload in a minute...

robertoleonardo

that's what we beta'ers are for!

but hmm, i just installed the .0003 update you just uploaded and it didn't fix it for me. i'm still getting the status bar error that "c:\program files (x86)\xyplorer\[caption name]" does not exist. seems to still be registering the quoted caption as the path, and then just using the application folder as the working directory.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hm, I tested it successfully. :eh:

What's your button definition?

jupe

Post by jupe »

Doesn't work for me either, but now the icon is set correctly (wasn't in .0001), but if you right click the btn the icon isn't set in menu.

Clicking on DUB, nothing happens, but dropping onto a DUB seems to work.

robertoleonardo

ahhh, yep, jupe is right -- the fix you made in .0003 DOES make it droppable -- i hadn't noticed that when i tested after upgrading. i only tested clicking the button which, as jupe notes, still does nothing.

so this is what we're looking at i think:

beta .0002 -- caption worked, but neither clicking the button nor dropping worked.
beta .0003 -- caption works; dropping works; clicking the button still broken.

fyi my button definition is: "RJL" paper:rjl

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alright, click will work in next beta.
jupe wrote: 23 Mar 2024 23:50 Doesn't work for me either, but now the icon is set correctly (wasn't in .0001), but if you right click the btn the icon isn't set in menu.
Hm, I see the icon here. How is the icon defined? Ah, I see, you did not define any icon in the Icon field. Yes, that will be fixed, too.

robertoleonardo

i got sidetracked for a few days - but fyi, i just checked, and all is now working as expected. thanks again so much!!