Sluggish

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
napleswebguy

Sluggish

Post by napleswebguy »

Is it just me or is this program getting sluggish over time....I cant even scroll down a list of file and folders where it gets hung up for a few seconds before I can continue.

Now it freezes when trying to do a simple rename of a folder on a external drive.

Is there a place I can download older versions that worked well when I first purchased this?

RalphM

Re: Sluggish

Post by RalphM »

You can download old versions from https://www.xyplorer.com/freezer.php but it is usually not the updates to blame for sluggish appearance but rather settings one may have changed over time.

If not already done, excluding XY from your Antivirus App is a good first step.

If still sluggish, check "Help/Various Information" and hold Ctrl when clicking on it.
This will give you a list of settings that might slow down XY.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In fact, I'm obsessed with timing the app because I'm a speed freak, and I'll spend hours just to shave off one more nanosecond, and I can tell you that the app gets faster and faster with almost every release.

napleswebguy

Post by napleswebguy »

@admin of course you are going to say this hahaha

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

And that's all you have to say?
Did the pointers I provided help you find a solution for your problem?

I'm sure admin would have some proof for his claims about speed (and you could find several statements in this regard in the change log) but that's not really the point here.
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

eil

Post by eil »

@napleswebguy of course you are going to say XY is fault for your system filled with crap and being sluggish hahaha.
Win 7 SP1 x64 100% 1366x768

Nighted

Post by Nighted »

It's sluggish. napleswebguy is right, it wasn't like this before. Maybe the last 5-6 years.

I use it on my box and my laptop and it loves to freeze..."XYplorer not responding"...several times a day on both. Sometimes to the point of having to manually kill xyplorer.exe. Often times it will halt my workflow and I forget where I was in the middle of some heavy multi-tasking. One of my favorites is when I rename a file then it reverts back to the old name and I have to re-select it and rename it again.

It's feature creep, no doubt.

Considering the time I've invested in XY and the many indispensable features, I live with it.

Don't get butt hurt fanboys, just 'cause it's not happening to you doesn't mean it doesn't. Out in the wild if anything can go wrong it will. Spare me the commentary from the peanut gallery. :naughty:
I want XY to serve soft ice cream. Please Don, make XY serve soft ice cream.

crawfish

Post by crawfish »

Case in point, I have a two pane configuration, and I use the bottom pane to conduct a search. Then I load a column set consisted of MD5 and full path, and I refresh the MD5 column. After pressing Ctrl+Shift+C to copy the hash/filename pairs, I select the relevant hash text file(s) from the top pane so I can open and copy the new info into them, and since 25.40 at the least, and continuing on into 25.50, the program hangs for 20+ seconds. It changes the cursor to busy-arrow, but it's dead. Clicking in the title bar changes the text to "Not Responding". This is reproducible from run to run. I've been doing this at least weekly for many years, and this behavior just recently started. Any ideas?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The hang is triggered by "select the relevant hash text file(s)"?

crawfish

Post by crawfish »

admin wrote: 03 Feb 2024 10:27 The hang is triggered by "select the relevant hash text file(s)"?
Yes. I Left-Click one of the files in the top-pane, so that I can Ctrl-Click the other relevant files, and then I Right-Click to open them from the context menu. I have several of these .txt files based on my groupings, like Downloads.txt, Music.txt, etc. It didn't hang right now when I tried the Left-Click, but I didn't first perform my /search/column set change/refresh column/copy to clipboard/ sequence, either.

ETA: I was going to progress through the sequence and Left-Click after each step to see if there's one that triggers the hang, and the very first step, the search, did. I just performed the search, and the Left-Click on Downloads.txt in the top pane caused it to hang for 30 seconds (I timed it). Trying this sequence a second time in the same instance of XYplorer doesn't cause the problem, but it's reliably reproducible with fresh instances of XYplorer. I also tried waiting 45 seconds after the search to perform the Left-Click, and the 30 second hang is definitely triggered by the Left-Click. And it's not just that file. If I click on another tab in the top pane, it hangs. However, if I click on another tab in the bottom pane, it seems to clear whatever condition is causing the hang, because I can then do stuff in the top pane without getting the hang. So, I seem to be saying that going directly from the search in the bottom pane to interacting with the top pane causes the 30 second hang in a fresh instance of XYplorer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Sounds weird. Can you provide a screenshot of the entire XY window?

crawfish

Post by crawfish »

admin wrote: 04 Feb 2024 10:14 Sounds weird. Can you provide a screenshot of the entire XY window?
At what point in the process? After first opening, performing the search, or selecting the file?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hanging.

crawfish

Post by crawfish »

admin wrote: 04 Feb 2024 19:13Hanging.
OK, the screenshot is after performing the search and clicking Downloads.txt. The program has hung with the Busy-Working cursor, but it's not in the screenshot, of course. If you need to see that, I took photos in that state and also after clicking the title bar, after Windows appended "(Not responding)" to the title and switched to the Busy cursor.
Attachments
Frozen after clicking Downloads.txt.jpg
Frozen after clicking Downloads.txt.jpg (240.35 KiB) Viewed 580 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

crawfish wrote: 04 Feb 2024 02:22
admin wrote: 03 Feb 2024 10:27 The hang is triggered by "select the relevant hash text file(s)"?
Yes. I Left-Click one of the files in the top-pane, so that I can Ctrl-Click the other relevant files, and then I Right-Click to open them from the context menu.
Oh, I guess I missed that the first time I read it: So the hang is not caused by the left click, but the right click?.