XY is set to default, yet 'This PC' + 'Recycle Bin' desktop icons open in Win Explorer.

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
GreenBerries

XY is set to default, yet 'This PC' + 'Recycle Bin' desktop icons open in Win Explorer.

Post by GreenBerries »

As the title says. How to change the behavior of these desktop icons to open in XY instead of Win Explorer?

xy123

Re: XY is set to default, yet 'This PC' + 'Recycle Bin' desktop icons open in Win Explorer.

Post by xy123 »

Read this post and the next one for solution.

GreenBerries

Re: XY is set to default, yet 'This PC' + 'Recycle Bin' desktop icons open in Win Explorer.

Post by GreenBerries »

OK... thx for your response, however i have no clue what to do with it now. I have no experience with coding and assumed i was supposed to alter those registry keys but they are not present at all in my Win11 registry. Do i have to create these keys? If yes could u provide basic guidance as to how this is done? Sorry for my ignorance.

highend

Post by highend »

viewtopic.php?p=214539#p214539

has the registry settings (although they are currently not complete because they will only open XYplorer but not in the correct location) in code tags.
You'd need to copy that stuff, put it in a new file with the extension ".reg" and double click it afterwards to import it...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

GreenBerries

Post by GreenBerries »

Thx for quick answer.

Before i go messing around with registry let me clarify: these keys will open XY at the last/default location rather than 'My PC' and 'Recycle Bin' as intended. Correct?
This seems to defeat the purpose and i am better off using XY taskbar icon - as already suggested in the posts u provided me in the first place - and go to the desired location myself.

This brings another question: can we set XY to always open at a set/chosen location? In this case 'My PC'? This would be most effective for me as i normally use My PC icon whenever opening explorer, at least 90% of the time.

highend

Post by highend »

Correct & Configuration | General | Startup & Exit | Permanent startup path

GreenBerries

Post by GreenBerries »

Awesome! This was a pretty obvious setting and so convenient. Admittedly i could have found it myself but the idea of it popped up as i was writing my previous post and i spontaneously asked u for it instead. I am very grateful for your time and hope u are not too tired of answering such shameful requests from lazy folks like me. :roll:
In any case this really is solving the My PC shortcut issue in my case. The icing on the cake is that i have now added a XY shortcut on the desktop, then changed its icon with the original My PC icon found here: %systemroot%\system32\shell32.dll so that it looks and acts just like the original shortcut. Am very satisfied with it. 8)
As for Recycle Bin, well until a better workaround is found/created i'll just settle with it opening Win Explorer or go find it myself in XY whenever required, which is not very often in fact, as i mostly just right click on it from the desktop to 'Empty Recycle Bin' and rarely actually open the bin itself.
May u have a great day/night wherever u are. Cheers.
Last edited by GreenBerries on 14 Nov 2023 10:35, edited 1 time in total.

GreenBerries

Post by GreenBerries »

also i have one more question which is somehow related concerning my [firefox] browser behavior when opening a downloaded file ... should i add it here or create a new topic for it?

highend

Post by highend »

It's not currently possible to override that browser behavior through XY but take a look here: viewtopic.php?t=10671

Apart from that, try this script.
Save it in your scripts folder and execute it. Tick all checkboxes (if some are unticked, these get removed as defaults)

For an unknown reason it doesn't like the Network folder atm but Computer, your username and Recycle Bin on the desktop should bring you to these folders inside of XY...