Can't delete thumbs.db file because "in use by XYCopy"

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
Malarki

Can't delete thumbs.db file because "in use by XYCopy"

Post by Malarki »

Windows 10 Pro x64 / XY v24.90.0140. Problem is repeatable; it occurs in regular use and in ::fresh instance.

Trying to delete some very old graphics application folders with "thumbs.db" files in them, from a network drive. I right-click and choose "Delete". There are two confirmation screens, then XY pops the message that these files can't be deleted because they are open in XYCopy (see attached pic). I don't have any copy operations going on.
Attachments
CAP_ 5503.jpg
CAP_ 5503.jpg (21.31 KiB) Viewed 245 times

admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't delete thumbs.db file because "in use by XYCopy"

Post by admin »

This must be an old lock, and there is probably an old instance of XYcopy.exe hanging around in your memory. Kill it with Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc).

Malarki

Post by Malarki »

Task Mgr showed no XYCopy running. Rebooted and now the symptom is a report that XYplorer has the file open. BUT Windows Explorer has the same problem, saying that it itself has the file open.

So I guess it is an "old lock" whatever that is. LockHunter shows that no processes are locking these files, but will probably arrange for them to be deleted on the next reboot. If you have no interest in doing any testing then I'll go ahead with that.

I've never seen this behavior before.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've seen this with thumbs.db as well. Annoying. MS doesn't document this stuff, so I guess it's one of those things we have to live with.

Malarki

Post by Malarki »

For anyone's info: I used "LockHunter" freeware from Crystal Rich Software which deleted these folders & files immediately. I've used LockHunter for years and recommend it.