Mouse Down Blow Up PDF not legible since upgrade to Win11

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
Schuller

Mouse Down Blow Up PDF not legible since upgrade to Win11

Post by Schuller »

Hi All,

Hope someone can with help this: When I Mouse Down Blow Up with the right mouse down, my pdf documents are not legible but instead its blurry since upgrading from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Other images are fine and clear so it seems to be with my pdf's only. The pdf's do show clear & legible in the Preview Pane and I can see thumbnails of the documents when in thumbnail view. If it helps, I'm using PDF xchange Editor 9.2 and Adobe DC Pro. Also, the upgrade was not just the operating system but the hardware too. Not sure if that matters.

Please assist, Thanks!

jupe

Re: Mouse Down Blow Up PDF not legible since upgrade to Win11

Post by jupe »

There should be a file on your computer located somewhere like C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions called XCShInfoSetup.exe, run it and make sure to select PDF-XChange for the Thumbnail Handler. If it is already configured like that, first change it to <None> then hit Apply, then change it back to PDF-XChange and Apply again, might require a OS restart.

Schuller

Post by Schuller »

Hi there,

Thanks for you're quick response.
It was originally PDF X-Change selected as the Thumbnail Handler in the PDF X-Change Shell Extension Setup and I tried what you suggested along with a reboot but still the same thing when I mouse down :?

jupe

Post by jupe »

Enter this in the XY address bar and post the return:

e <get thumbnailprovider pdf>;

Afterwards enter fresh; in the addressbar and in the new instance that opens first enable MDBU

Configuration | Preview | Mouse Down Blow Up | Mouse Down on Thumbnails and Icons

then check if you get the same experience with pdf MDBU.

Schuller

Post by Schuller »

Thumbnail provider for pdf files
GUID: {644D29FB-8692-49A6-B37D-D11A4CCC7A6D}
DefaultName: PDF-XChange PDF Thumbnail Handler

Schuller

Post by Schuller »

Yes, in the fresh instance it is still blurry

jupe

Post by jupe »

You could try running this command, extlist("thumbs64", "pdf", "a");.

Can you post a screenshot of exactly what you are experiencing, and if you select a thumbnail in the list, and then run View | Caches | Refresh Selected Thumbnails, does that thumbnail then become illegible in the list too?

Otherwise a complete reinstall of XChange may be called for as a last resort, making sure to include the optional Shell Extensions during the installer.

Schuller

Post by Schuller »

I tried running extlist("thumbs64", "pdf", "a"); in the address bar and nothing happened.
I selected a thumbnail in the list and went to View | Caches | Refresh Selected Thumbnails and refreshed then tried the MDBU and still the same thing, blurry, illegible pdf.
A screenshot attached here.
Attachments
Blurred MDBU pdf screenshot.jpg
Blurred MDBU pdf screenshot.jpg (67.7 KiB) Viewed 497 times

jupe

Post by jupe »

Yeah that command did something, you just didn't notice it, but since it didn't resolve your issue, then undo that change by running this. extlist("thumbs64", "pdf", "r");

Ok my last suggestions, try running each of the following commands, one at a time, and then trying MDBU between each, the last one will return you back to default if the first 2 make no difference.

Code: Select all

tweak("PreviewEarlyFactory", 2);
tweak("PreviewEarlyFactory", 1);
tweak("PreviewEarlyFactory", 0);
And one last hail mary if you are interested, try creating a new entry under,
Configuration | Preview | Previewed Formats | Categories >> User-Defined Preview Handlers
pdf>{9B68BDF7-95F9-4A1F-851C-27D822F8E3E9}>64

Maybe it has some influence. I only just noticed you mention that you are using version 9.2 of PDF XChange, newest is 9.5.368.0, so try upgrading, might be fixes related to Win11.

Schuller

Post by Schuller »

I tried running each of those commands, one at a time, and then tried MDBU between each and still same issue.
I created that new entry under,
Configuration | Preview | Previewed Formats | Categories >> User-Defined Preview Handlers
pdf>{9B68BDF7-95F9-4A1F-851C-27D822F8E3E9}>64 and still the same issue.
I uninstalled X-Change and tried with just Adobe DC, same issue. Uninstalled Adobe, same issue. Eventually reinstalled X-Change with all the optional shell extensions and no adobe, still the same issue.
Looking into upgrading X-Change but this was actually working before without X-change on my older system and was fine with just Adobe, now neither work.

jupe

Post by jupe »

It is a bizarre issue, could be PDF XChange is in the blocked shell extensions list, so you're falling back to another provider, or possibly a corrupted Windows thumbnail cache, you could try emptying the OS thumbnail cache.

https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-11-cl ... ail-cache/

Schuller

Post by Schuller »

Cleared the cache here as you suggested and still nothing.
Question: I have the Apply zoom: under Preview | Mouse Down Blow Up checked and set to 325% so I could get a large enough Blow Up to work with. Could this be something related this resolution? Unchecked or set to 100% is not large enough for me to see anything and if I recall correctly from my past system, I had that at 80% and it was working fine and large enough for me to work with.

jupe

Post by jupe »

Ah, yes that could absolutely be related, PDF XChange Editor only supplies small MDBU previews, not large, so there may be some blurring on zooming. I use SumatraPDF and they are full screen height without applying zoom, same with PDF XChange Viewer.

https://www.tracker-software.com/product/downloads

PS Make sure you remove/uncheck that User Defined Preview Handler entry again if you install an alternate.

Schuller

Post by Schuller »

Deleted X-Change 9.2 and tried the free X-Change viewer download link you provider here on my Win11 system and still same issue. Also tried the free SumatraPDF and same issue.
I still have my old system with Win10 so I went to plug it in again to verify the setup/configuration and the MDBU zoom was unchecked and is working fine with the pdf legible at screen height. Verified the handler on the old system too and it was PDF-XChange PDF Thumbnail Provider. I then went to match all XY configurations in my new system with old system and still the this same issue. So changes from old system to new are hardware, operating system and version of XYplorer. The old system had XYplorer 24.20 and the new system is 24.40.0200. I don't know if that would have anything to do this? Also, in the old system I never had user defined preview handlers checked.

Schuller

Post by Schuller »

Wait a minute, Its appears the MDBU issue is resolved and working fine now with screen height, legible pdf's working on my right mouse down. I'm not 100% sure at what point this was corrected but I'm going to try to recreate the issue again and resolve so I know for sure and keep you posted.