Context menu items missing+ complaints.

Features wanted...
rajivs85

Context menu items missing+ complaints.

Post by rajivs85 »

Hello, I purchased the lifetime licence. But after some time of using it I must say I found a lot of inconveniences. To the point that it became a nuisance and I had to uninstall it.

Am now giving it a new try as I paid for it.

1. I do not see the default open with for my installed softwares. I found a way to enable them in the shell configuration but I still do not see my norton scan appear.
2. Enabling adobe pdf preview like in explorer I do not see how.

I bought it for the file tagging ability. But apart from this i find it more a nuisance to use as it lacks a lot of features that the standard file manager provides.

In my opinion this software should have at least have ALL the features of the standard explorer. It is quite terrible to be honest. And the style is not good either. The dark mode is not good enough: the menu on top remains gray and does not look good etc.

Overall this software did not live up to my expectations. Am asking myself, why am I using it? I does not give me improved user experience so far. With windows 11 new explorer coming up I find it hard to justify the use of this program.

Horst

Re: Context menu items missing+ complaints.

Post by Horst »

Have you ticket to get the full x64 context menu
from Configuration / Other / Shell Integration ?

There are security tools which show their context menu only if called from Explorer.
XY can't do anything to overcome such behaviour.
To test it, rename XYplorer.exe to Explorer.exe and see what the context menu offers.

You can make a button on XY to start a Norton scan for the current file or folder
if you know the way and parameters to call it from a command line.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3235)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

RalphM

Post by RalphM »

Not sure whether we would be wasting our time here trying to convert someone who claims that the standard file explorer has all these nice features and looks nicer too.

Update: I've just decided to not even try. :whistle:
Ralph :)
(OS: W11 22H2 Home x64 - XY: Current beta - Office 2019 32-bit - Display: 1920x1080 @ 125%)

rajivs85

Post by rajivs85 »

Thank you for the feedbacks. I tried to change the name to explorer but this did not help.

This is my honest opinion, the design of this sofware is not appealing and it is a nuisance to use as a default. it does have "some" functional tools but it is an inconvenience for most of the functions I highlighted.

Instead I now want to find a way to incoporate "open with Xplorer" in the default explorer when you right click on a file. But it should be seen directly when you right click.. ( not when you go with open with)...

phred

Post by phred »

I'm curious.

Did you take advantage of XY's free thirty day trial before you bought the lifetime license? And if not, why not? That would've made you aware of all the "issues" you are bringing up.

Horst

Post by Horst »

rajivs85 wrote: 03 Jun 2023 13:50 Thank you for the feedbacks. I tried to change the name to explorer but this did not help.

This is my honest opinion, the design of this sofware is not appealing and it is a nuisance to use as a default. it does have "some" functional tools but it is an inconvenience for most of the functions I highlighted.

Instead I now want to find a way to incoporate "open with Xplorer" in the default explorer when you right click on a file. But it should be seen directly when you right click.. ( not when you go with open with)...
Thats no problem.
I have such entries for XYplorer and Total Commander.
Using the classic context menu in Windows 11 its even on the first level of the context menu.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3235)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69