XYPlorer window on external display hidden and unrecoverable when rebooting Windows in single-display mode

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
chappity

XYPlorer window on external display hidden and unrecoverable when rebooting Windows in single-display mode

Post by chappity »

Hello,

As described in the title, I'm having display-related issues with XYPlorer 23.90.0400 on Windows 11 (Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621).

When I launch and use XYPlorer with an external display connected, and then place the XYPlorer window on the external screen, I can use XYPlorer fine. However, when I then quit the software, shut down Windows, disconnect the external display and then restart Windows and XYPlorer with the external display disconnected, no windows are visible, and I cannot recall the XYPlorer main window at all.

It's as if the XYPlorer window is completely "lost" and the app still thinks that the external display is connected. Even quitting XYPlorer and then relaunching has no effect.

This doesn't seem to be usual behavior, but I'm wondering: is this a problem that can be remedied via settings/preferences, or is this a bug?

Looking forward to some more information. Thank you!

admin
Site Admin

Re: XYPlorer window on external display hidden and unrecoverable when rebooting Windows in single-display mode

Post by admin »

Strange, this is cared for since 2008-05-25, cf viewtopic.php?t=2515
I have never had any complaints since.

Could it be that the XYplorer window is slightly visible at the screen margin?

To fix it open XYplorer.ini and edit WinX and WinY to realistic values:

Code: Select all

[General]
LastVer=24.30.0122
WinW=1478
WinH=786
WinX=104 <------------------ X position of the window
WinY=66 <------------------ Y position of the window

highend

Re: XYPlorer window on external display hidden and unrecoverable when rebooting Windows in single-display mode

Post by highend »

Apart from that and for any application that doesn't fall back to sane values when completely off screen: https://www.google.com/search?q=windows ... e&ie=UTF-8
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

chappity

Post by chappity »

Thanks for the tips. I did notice when it happened again this morning that the XYPlorer window was barely visible on the left side of the screen, so I could actually grab and resize it.

The tip on the Microsoft website about right-clicking on the taskbar icon and trying to move the window did not work, though—no available option for that.

If I have problems with this again, I will try the settings you described.

Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I now changed it to make sure the visible part is a bit bigger.

chappity

Post by chappity »

The problem still occurs for me. I generally use Windows 11 with an external display. When I shut down Windows, unplug the external display on a different day, launch Windows and then try to launch XYPlorer, I do see the app window, but only a very small portion of the XYPlorer window is visible at the top of the screen.

Here's what I mean.
Launching XYPlorer without external display.jpg
Launching XYPlorer without external display.jpg (70.98 KiB) Viewed 479 times
I have to change these xyplorer.ini settings every time I take my PC outside without the display. It's a real hassle, honestly.

Can't you set XYPlorer to launch within the dimensions specified by the main display that's currently in use? Why is it even trying to use the screen area of a display that's not even connected?

avivariba

Post by avivariba »

chappity wrote: 02 Jul 2023 10:54Can't you set XYPlorer to launch within the dimensions specified by the main display that's currently in use?
Unless you make changes each and every time you use XY and want to have those saved automatically upon exit (opposed to saving them manually):
  1. Save the settings while on your main monitor;
  2. Uncheck Configuration... > General > Startup & Exit > Save Settings > Save settings on exit.
Otherwise, it might be possible to make a script for it to run on exit or startup via Configuration... > General > Custom Event Actions > Other Events.

chappity

Post by chappity »

Thanks for the tip. I've made the recommended settings, and will see if this holds when restarting the PC with the display unplugged.

It is still a little mystifying that other apps are able to adapt to this kind of situation and move their windows automatically within the bounds of the main display, once the external display is disconnected and the unit is restarted. I guess it's because XYPlorer automatically saves the display window position settings when the setting you mentioned is checked, and therefore does not adapt fluidly to changes in the display arrangement like most other apps seem to do. There might be plusses to the current way of doing things, but in my use case it's mostly a nuisance, unfortunately.

Anyway, I appreciate the help!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

chappity wrote: 02 Jul 2023 10:54 The problem still occurs for me. I generally use Windows 11 with an external display. When I shut down Windows, unplug the external display on a different day, launch Windows and then try to launch XYPlorer, I do see the app window, but only a very small portion of the XYPlorer window is visible at the top of the screen.
Weird! It should show at least 100 vertical pixels (but I will change that in the next beta: I will ensure that the title bar is visible).

In this situation, would do you get when you run this command through the address bar? (paste and press ENTER):

Code: Select all

screen;