Search Bar on the Toolbar

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
sl23

Search Bar on the Toolbar

Post by sl23 »

Is there a way to add a simple Search Bar, similar to Windows Explorer, instead of the Huge one in the bottom pane?
I know about the quick search but this is getting tedious opening and closing a window constantly.
Thanks. :tup:

jupe

Re: Search Bar on the Toolbar

Post by jupe »

The addressbar is a search bar, you'd just need to endure the tediousness of prefixing your query with a ?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

:lol:

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Aha, thanks! :tup: I never needed search before now.
I don't use the address bar either! lol

sl23

Post by sl23 »

I don't suppose there's any chance of a dedicated Search bar making an appearance? Easier than adding that '?' before every search, which as jupe said, is a bit tedious, and the bottom panel is way OTT for my needs.

No worries of not, just thought I'd ask.

Btw, I've been very happy with XY since changing over from Cubic after purchasing. It's really a great piece of software! :tup:

highend

Post by highend »

Typing a single character is tedious? oO

And where is the difference if you open up e.g. the quicksearch via a keyboard shortcut (or the mouse) but instead clicking inside a search bar. It's still a single click...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

sl23

Post by sl23 »

I know what you're saying, but actually, in this instance, it kind of is!
I have to compare around 800 remaining files via searching for key words. Every search requires typing a '?' first then pasting the copied text.
So 'tedious?' Yes, it is.

Btw, I first tried QuickSearch, but found that even more tedious! I had to copy the name open the QuickSearch window, paste, search, then close the window every time! I need to cut out as many clicks/typing as possible to reduce the amount of work required, I've already spent two months on this! That's how much work there is to sort this lot out.

Clicking a mouse button is by far easier in this instance. The quickest, easiest method of performing this search over and over, is using the bottom panel. But to be honest, I think it would be quicker and easier using Windows Explorer in this instance.

Sorry, I don't mean to argue with you, but maybe you don't fully understand what I have to do. Thanks for your replies though. Seeing as this is probably a one-off situation, just forget I was here! :ninja: :tup:

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

It's difficult to make meaningful recommendations without knowing your full process and willingness to spend time configuring XYplorer. (There's always that battle between time spent optimizing a task vs just doing the task. ;) )

One simple suggestion would be to use the clipboard variable by searching for:

Code: Select all

?<clp>
(Or drop the ? to use the search panel.)

This will search for items matching the contents of the clipboard and eliminate your need to paste the query first. You just copy the text and then repeat the search - which you can improve by using the Edit | Repeat Last Search commands or assigning them keyboard shortcuts - and it will use the new query.

Using that quick search you have a large variety of options for triggering the search: the catalog, user menu (then its own keyboard shortcut), favorites, or a custom toolbar button to name a few.

HTH.

EDIT: Another thought that might help. Use Edit | Show All Items In Branch to show all of the items you want to search through then use the Live Filter Box to find matches for your query. Unfortunately, while filtering by <clp> works it isn't as easy as search to repeat with new clipboard contents. Not as good as the last suggestion but a bit closer to your original wish.

GreetingsFromPoland

Post by GreetingsFromPoland »

this is pretty cool. i didn't know about the question mark prefix in the address - works well.

is it possible to configure it somehow so that when i type a ? it auto-focuses the address bar, adds a question mark and positions the cursor right there so i can immediately type my search ?

currently doing this triggers the type-ahead feature (as it should and is expected).

highend

Post by highend »

AHK and unticking Configuration | Find and Filter | Filters & Type Ahead Find | Type Ahead Find | [ ] Redirect typing to Live Filter Box?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Tbh, I don't really use most of the functions of XY. Many of the functions I have no clue how to use as on a day to day basis, they just aren't needed, by me, I mean. I've never used search since XP days due to that being useless! But since then, I've always organised everything so well that I know where everything I need is. This is the first time Iv'e needed to use search to actually compare differences in order to decide whether I need to keep or bin files.

I tried the <clp> variable, but how do I get that to work in the Find panel? Or doesn't it work there? I don't see the benefit of using it in the quick search window as I have to keep clicking to close it afterwards. If it didn't stop you using the main XY window, then it would be more useful like this. I have no clue about those ideas you replied about, thanks for the tips btw, as I don't use any of those functions. I don't know what the Catalog is or how to use it. Mostly, I only need basic File Manager functions. I only bought XY as Cubic Explorer was 10 years out of date and becoming problematic to use. I still use single pane most of the time!

I have a list of 2000 files in the left pane and 800 in the right pane with variations or incomplete names. So I have to pick key words from the files on the right, then search for that term in the left pane. Once I have a short list of files on the left, derived from the search, I then have to check each file as to whether it is the same or different. If different, I keep it.

Thanks for your advice, I appreciate the tips :tup:

EDIT: It's ok, the <clp> is working in the bottom Find Panel, didn't think it was. That's a great help at least, thanks TheQwerty! :tup: :biggrin:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's not difficult to assign a keyboard shortcut to such a search via User | Manage Commands...:
Attachments
Quick Search by current clipboard contents.png
Quick Search by current clipboard contents.png (14.04 KiB) Viewed 699 times

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Didn't even know about that, thank you.

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Thanks for everyone's help. After trying different methods, I found the quickest for me, in this instance, is to use a Toolbar Button and use the command for [Repeat Last Search] - [#262]

Then, I can simply copy part of a filename, select Pane 1 and click the Button for each search. I have noticed the need to keep <clp> as the last search term in the Find Panel though. :D

sl23

Post by sl23 »

Actually, is there a way I can use the <clp> code in a Button? I couldn't get it to work!