Features for tablets.

Features wanted...
Sakib123

Features for tablets.

Post by Sakib123 »

I have installed the latest version of XYplorer on my tablet.
While the default Windows file manager allows me to scroll using touch gestures - swiping up and down to scroll through my files - it seems that XYplorer does not support this feature. Therefore, to scroll through my files using XYplorer, I need to swipe the scrollbar up and down.
Kindly consider this feature.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Features for tablets.

Post by admin »

Is that so? I thought this worked. :?

mazot

Post by mazot »

I was surprised to hear this so tried my old HP win 10 tablet with latest ver.
Can confirm when trying to scroll only selected.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Tested on my win 10 tablet and it works well with a two-finger up/down swipe.

mazot

Post by mazot »

This gets weird tried again on win 10 tablet this time fresh instance 2 finger up/down - nil
win11 tablet same result fresh instance - nil
2 in 1 laptop same result -nil

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'd like to hear others...

TheQwerty

Post by TheQwerty »

Not working here on a touch screen.
In a fresh instance, 1 fingers does selection rectangle, 2+ fingers up/down or left/right do not scroll, 2 finger un/pinch manipulates font size.
Various Info wrote:XYplorer: 24.20.0536 - Lifetime License Enterprise
Startup Time: 5,153 ms at 4/12/2023 3:29:01 PM
Uptime: 26 mins, 57 secs Runtime Library Version: 6.00.9848
Memory Usage: 76,224 KB, Virtual Memory Size: 30,684 KB

OS: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044.2728 (10.0), .NET v4.8.04084

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

admin wrote: 11 Apr 2023 09:39 Tested on my win 10 tablet and it works well with a two-finger up/down swipe.
I probably worded this wrongly. It's a notebook and I used the touchpad. I don't own a touch screen device with Windows.

knaxx

Post by knaxx »

I have a surface book with touchscreen and can confirm that the touch gesture swipe scroll doesn't work in any of the main windows, to scroll at all with a touchscreen you must grab the scrollbar and drag up and down. If you try to swipe scroll then you only make a drag select.

However, swipe scroll does work in the window "Tools/Configuration/Custom Columns"

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Did you maybe enable Tools | Customize List | Full Row Select? Disable it and the swipe should work without items being selected.

knaxx

Post by knaxx »

admin wrote: 16 Oct 2023 16:10 Did you maybe enable Tools | Customize List | Full Row Select? Disable it and the swipe should work without items being selected.
No, i have all settings almost 100% original and "Full Row Select" was already Disabled.

The confusing part is that some windows have working swipe scroll but others don't. For example in Tools | Configuration | Custom Event Actions. Here i have 2 scrollbars 1 outer close to the window edge. And 1 inner inside the Event Action Script border. Both work with "Mouse Scroll" and "Trackpad Scroll" but only the inner scroll work with "Touchscreen Scroll".

This behavior is consistent throughout the software and can best be described as follow:

IF the scrollbars background is BLACK then you can use "Touchscreen Scroll"
IF the scrollbars background is GRAY then you cannot.

So its only in these type of frames that have a scrollbar with a black background where you can scroll on a touchscreen without grabbing the actual bar.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

2 scrollbars? Can you show a screenshot of this?

knaxx

Post by knaxx »

Sure! The second scrollbar that we talk about apparently is because of my windows resolution and scale size. But as you can see its the same color as the main windows scrollbar. both marked with Red Arrows. The only working scrollbars on touchscreens are these with black background color marked with Green arrow.
Attachments
scrollbar.png
scrollbar.png (112.27 KiB) Viewed 380 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah! The second scrollbar is from the Configuration dialog.

Swipe scrolling is not explicitly supported in XY's main controls, although I think you can still do it in the file list by moving the pressed finger to the top or bottom of the list. It works with the mouse, so it should work with your finger, right?

knaxx

Post by knaxx »

admin wrote: 17 Oct 2023 15:37 Swipe scrolling is not explicitly supported in XY's main controls, although I think you can still do it in the file list by moving the pressed finger to the top or bottom of the list. It works with the mouse, so it should work with your finger, right?
I believe that the request of this feature was the main point of this thread. Windows File Explorer gives you this basic ability to swipe scroll up and down, and if you want to select multiple files you "Short hold + drag over the files". The absence of this feature in XY makes XY unsuitable to use on any touchscreen devices because it is part of the basics when it comes to having a good user experience.

As i have stated before, it is only were the scrollbars have a black background color in XY that you can swipe scroll up and down. Unfortunately this is not the case in places where you actually use/need scroll to navigate between files and folders. The only way as of now to navigate up and down on a touchscreen is to grab the scrollbars or press the arrows at the ends. As a non touchscreen user, imagine having to grab the scrollbar with your mouse every time you want to scroll down a little but having to make a greater effort with your whole arm. This is not manageable and makes Windows File Explorer preferable to use.

So i do agree with Sakib123 and others in this thread who says kindly consider this feature.