Preview html file created by SingleFile

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
houaiss

Preview html file created by SingleFile

Post by houaiss »

I'm used to archive news using a chrome extension called SingleFile. This extension saves a webpage in one html file. I like it because most of the time it maintain all the elements of the original webpage in one file.

But when I try to preview this html file I get this massage
2023-03-27_170050.png
2023-03-27_170050.png (83.89 KiB) Viewed 526 times
This massage is the same that shows up in the browser when it tries to open the file but the extension is not installed.

Is it possible to enable the preview of this kind of file in xyplorer to show the saved webpage in a similar way it would show if the file was opened in the browser? any specific handler or plug in that I need to install? I tried searching for a solution but didn't find anything.

I'm attaching one said html file as example (the file is in a zip because the extension wasn't accepted).

Any help would be much appreciated! :)
Attachments
My dog showed no remorse_ Guardian readers on the damage done by their beloved pets _ Pets _ The Guardian (3_27_2023 4_23_24 PM).zip (1).zip
(665.46 KiB) Downloaded 12 times

jupe

Re: Preview html file created by SingleFile

Post by jupe »

No not possible.

If you are willing to switch to an alternative you can save full webpages as mhtml without an extension required, and those you can preview in XY.

https://techdows.com/2019/06/google-rem ... hrome.html

highend

Post by highend »

One more option: Use Opera for saving pages.

It produces (text) searchable .pdfs

No problems to preview them anywhere^^ Ofc, they wouldn't store audio files (if that's what you need)...
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

houaiss

Post by houaiss »

jupe wrote: 27 Mar 2023 22:29 No not possible.

If you are willing to switch to an alternative you can save full webpages as mhtml without an extension required, and those you can preview in XY.

https://techdows.com/2019/06/google-rem ... hrome.html
I see.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Following the link you showed, I tried saving in MHTML a webpage from a news site that I often visit, but unfortunately it didn't retain all the elements of the page. But using SingleFile instead, it retained all the elements. Also, when previewing the MHTML file on xyplorer it lags a bit before showing it (but its certainly better than not showing at all haha).

But thank you very much for your help!

houaiss

Post by houaiss »

highend wrote: 27 Mar 2023 23:00 One more option: Use Opera for saving pages.

It produces (text) searchable .pdfs

No problems to preview them anywhere^^ Ofc, they wouldn't store audio files (if that's what you need)...
Thank you for the suggestion!

I already tried saving webpages in pdf but too many times the elements of the web page weren't reproduced correctly, some missing, others out of place and weird. So for me I found that using the single file extension would be the best on that regard (the file has searchable text too). Albeit it has that restriction that I can't preview it now (but one time I got to preview this type of file using the Seer software, but after sometime I stopped using this software for other reasons).

But yeah, ideally I would love to use PDF for this (I love this format lol).

I don't remember if I tried using opera to save the webpage as pdf (I tried a lot of browsers) but I will try again to make sure. Thank you! :)

Edit: I just tried Opera option on "Save as PDF" and it was really good for me! It saved webpages as PDF exactly as it was displayed in the browser. A tried multiple websites that I usually go to and it worked perfect in all of them until now. For me, its like using SingleFile but with huge upsides of saving as PDF, with smaller file sizes, and being able to preview across multiple softwares. I think I'm gonna archive news this way now. Just wish this feature was implemented on chrome so I didn't have to use two browser now. But for me its still worth it. Thank you highend!

Horst

Post by Horst »

houaiss wrote: 27 Mar 2023 23:16
Edit: I just tried Opera option on "Save as PDF" and it was really good for me! It saved webpages as PDF exactly as it was displayed in the browser. A tried multiple websites that I usually go to and it worked perfect in all of them until now. For me, its like using SingleFile but with huge upsides of saving as PDF, with smaller file sizes, and being able to preview across multiple softwares. I think I'm gonna archive news this way now. Just wish this feature was implemented on chrome so I didn't have to use two browser now. But for me its still worth it. Thank you highend!
I use Save as PDF in MS Edge and this works fine for me.
Its searchable PDF format.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3374)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1371a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.2, Listary Pro 6.3.0.69

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

"Save as PDF"? I don't see that here in Edge. Is it an extension?

houaiss

Post by houaiss »

Horst wrote: 28 Mar 2023 10:34
houaiss wrote: 27 Mar 2023 23:16
I use Save as PDF in MS Edge and this works fine for me.
Its searchable PDF format.
Nice to see this option on MS Edge too. In my experience, the "Print as PDF" (is different from the "Save as PDF") option that all browser have is inconsistent. Hope someday chrome adds a "Save as PDF" too since is my main browser.

Thank you! :D

houaiss

Post by houaiss »

admin wrote: 28 Mar 2023 11:59 "Save as PDF"? I don't see that here in Edge. Is it an extension?
I dont know where the "save as pdf" option is in Edge. But in opera you can see this option in the drop down menu that appears when you right click anywhere in a webpage.

Horst

Post by Horst »

houaiss wrote: 28 Mar 2023 14:58
admin wrote: 28 Mar 2023 11:59 "Save as PDF"? I don't see that here in Edge. Is it an extension?
I dont know where the "save as pdf" option is in Edge. But in opera you can see this option in the drop down menu that appears when you right click anywhere in a webpage.
In MS Edge its an entry under the Print menu

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, brilliant!

jupe

Post by jupe »

houaiss wrote: 27 Mar 2023 23:16Hope someday chrome adds a "Save as PDF" too since is my main browser.
It should be the same as Edge in the Printer selection drop down.

Horst

Post by Horst »

jupe wrote: 29 Mar 2023 00:41
houaiss wrote: 27 Mar 2023 23:16Hope someday chrome adds a "Save as PDF" too since is my main browser.
It is.
For a long time my browser was Chrome
but MS Edge is the better Chrome for me.

houaiss

Post by houaiss »

jupe wrote: 29 Mar 2023 00:41
I see. Indeed there is a option in the Printer selection drop down in Chrome called "Save as PDF". Sorry I confused the terms.

But when I use this "Save as PDF" in chrome it doesn't make a PDF identical with the webpage (at least for the webpages that I tried). Although you could say that all the text (the most important element) was correctly saved. But in terms of aesthetics in general, the "Save as PDF" in the browser Opera was much better for me on preserving all the elements of the webpages that I tested.

Curiously, the "Save as PDF" option in Opera can be used in two ways. The first one is through the printer options (just like in Chrome and any other browser, I think). The second one can be accessed on the right click drop down menu.

The PDF that is produced through the printer options was inconsistent for me just like in Chrome.

The PDF produced from the second method mimics the webpage faithfully for me (only the static elements, of course).

Sorry for extending so much this off topic.

Wheathead

Post by Wheathead »

I'm late to the party here (storms knocked out our power and internet for some days) but I routinely save browser pages as SingleFile html for ease of capturing an article. I use Firefox browser and select that as the previewer for HTML and it shows a preview (not a beauty, but at least I can tell what the file contains). I save SingleFile html web pages in Edge also, and they show up the same (using the Firefox Browser as preview in configuration. The formatting is not pretty for some but, as I said, it's for me to quickly identify the content.
Attachments
2023-03-29 16_25_34-Tabsets   •   F__Current Articles__2023 Articles - XYplorer 24.20.0500.png
2023-03-29 16_25_34-Tabsets • F__Current Articles__2023 Articles - XYplorer 24.20.0500.png (266.9 KiB) Viewed 356 times