Color filters can be deathly slow in network locations

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
milllirem

Color filters can be deathly slow in network locations

Post by milllirem »

I'm submitting this as a bug because it caused me a lot of grief until I found a workaround. Among other color filters, I had:

L:prop:#nosubs:2
B:prop:#empty:2|fl

Navigating a network Samba location with either of these enabled kills performance, extremely slow scrolling, etc., especially if a folder has several hundred files in it for the color filters to process. Disabling these filters brings scrolling back to normal zippy speeds.

Proposed solution: add a settings toggle to disable color filters in network locations.

jupe

Re: Color filters can be deathly slow in network locations

Post by jupe »

There is already a filter:/filternot: where you can disable certain locations on a per filter basis, look it up under comments section of the Color Filter help if you are interested. Property filters are slow in general because each item has to be queried.

eg. B:prop:#empty:2|fl //|filter:C:\*|filternot:Z:\*

milllirem

Post by milllirem »

Ok, I see how to add a pre-filter to my color filters for a certain location, but this means I would have to list all of my network locations. I have a bunch of network locations, and Xyplorer is capable of detecting "network location" or not because that's used in several settings toggles. So it would be very nice if I could pre-filter in one swoop on "network location".

If I'm still missing something please let me know. Thanks.

jupe

Post by jupe »

I can't test this currently but you should be able to do something like this:

B:prop:#empty:2|fl //|filter:*|filternot:\\*

assuming you access them via UNC (the filter: in example above is only there as a placeholder not req)

highend

Post by highend »

Use \\* instead of e.g. C:\*?
One of my scripts helped you out? Please donate via Paypal

milllirem

Post by milllirem »

Unfortunately I access a bunch of network locations by mapped drive letter. As a workaround I reversed the logic and allow the filter only on the three local drives I use.

Thanks for the help.