Can someone please help me with the everything integration script?

Discuss and share scripts and script files...
terrytw

Can someone please help me with the everything integration script?

Post by terrytw »

Hi I have been trying to use highend's 0.9.5 version of everything integration script.

XYplorer version: 24.20
everything version: 1.4.1.1022

Normal searches work as intended, but unfortunately the macros do not work at all, even the default ones like doc: returns no results at all...

Been at it for several hours now.

Any help is much appreciated!

While I am at it, the ShowMacros=false option does not work at all for me, the macros always show in the dialogue window...

Horst

Re: Can someone please help me with the everything integration script?

Post by Horst »

Macros are working fine here.
I don't know how you installed Everything
but I guess you have a wrong definition of the Everything data files location.

The location is derived from this entry in the Ini file the script creates
EverythingDataPath=c:\tools\Everything

The above path is from my Everything installation.
You have to define where the Everything config files like filters.csv are located in your case.

Btw. I highly suggest to use Everything 1.5.
Its Alpha but stable and so much better in any aspect.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
Portable XYplorer (actual version, including betas)
Everything 1.5.0.1372a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73

notabot

Post by notabot »

These doc: macros et. al. are not supported in Everything 1.4. As @Horst mentioned, they are in Everything 1.5.

For 1.4, you will need to 'convert' the macro to its value. In case of doc: that is

Code: Select all

ext:c;chm;cpp;csv;cxx;doc;docm;docx;dot;dotm;dotx;h;hpp;htm;html;hxx;ini;java;lua;mht;mhtml;odt;pdf;potx;potm;ppam;ppsm;ppsx;pps;ppt;pptm;pptx;rtf;sldm;sldx;thmx;txt;vsd;wpd;wps;wri;xlam;xls;xlsb;xlsm;xlsx;xltm;xltx;xml
Menu:Search > Organize Filters will bring you to the list of filters; editing a filter will show these values in the Search: fileld.

terrytw

Post by terrytw »

notabot wrote: 11 Mar 2023 23:51 These doc: macros et. al. are not supported in Everything 1.4. As @Horst mentioned, they are in Everything 1.5.

For 1.4, you will need to 'convert' the macro to its value. In case of doc: that is

ext:c;chm;cpp;csv;cxx;doc;docm;docx;dot;dotm;dotx;h;hpp;htm;html;hxx;ini;java;lua;mht;mhtml;odt;pdf;potx;potm;ppam;ppsm;ppsx;pps;ppt;pptm;pptx;rtf;sldm;sldx;thmx;txt;vsd;wpd;wps;wri;xlam;xls;xlsb;xlsm;xlsx;xltm;xltx;xml
Menu:Search > Organize Filters will bring you to the list of filters; editing a filter will show these values in the Search: fileld.
Thanks for the sugguestion!

But unfortunately you are not right in this particular issue, filters like supported in 1.4. Please see the following picture:
Attachments
1.png
1.png (23.26 KiB) Viewed 807 times

terrytw

Post by terrytw »

Horst wrote: 11 Mar 2023 15:41 Macros are working fine here.
I don't know how you installed Everything
but I guess you have a wrong definition of the Everything data files location.

The location is derived from this entry in the Ini file the script creates
EverythingDataPath=c:\tools\Everything

The above path is from my Everything installation.
You have to define where the Everything config files like filters.csv are located in your case.

Btw. I highly suggest to use Everything 1.5.
Its Alpha but stable and so much better in any aspect.
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately I have all the paths correct. It is the first thing I checked.

I have it figured out, for anyone that is having the same problem:

1. What highend's script does, is basically calling the es.exe using a XYplorer UI, therefore, any limitations es.exe has, is applicable to this script, like you need Everything GUI app to be running for it to work.
2. Filters and macros are supported in Everything 1.4, but they are only supported in GUI. If you use es.exe the cli tool, filters do not work!
3. In 1.5a, filters and macros work with BOTH GUI AND CLI (es.exe). But there is a caveat, you need to tell es.exe to communicate to Everything 1.5a, because 1.5a is an alpha version, by default es.exe won't use it!
So in cli, type

.\es.exe -instance 1.5a  -save-settings
There will be an ini file created at the same path es.exe is located. If you bring the ini with you to another machine, you won't need to use the command again.

A wish to Don, @admin, given the popularity Everything has right now, and the unfortunate reality that highend's current script lacks basic instructions for newcomers and the thread is locked right now, maybe you can do something in this regard?
It is just a kind suggestion, I understand if there are more important features to be implemented.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

terrytw wrote: 12 Mar 2023 02:27 A wish to Don, @admin, given the popularity Everything has right now, and the unfortunate reality that highend's current script lacks basic instructions for newcomers and the thread is locked right now, maybe you can do something in this regard?
I'm an outsider to the whole Everything topic. So, I have no idea what you mean I should do...

terrytw

Post by terrytw »

admin wrote: 12 Mar 2023 09:13
terrytw wrote: 12 Mar 2023 02:27 A wish to Don, @admin, given the popularity Everything has right now, and the unfortunate reality that highend's current script lacks basic instructions for newcomers and the thread is locked right now, maybe you can do something in this regard?
I'm an outsider to the whole Everything topic. So, I have no idea what you mean I should do...
Someone unlocked that thread, and I have appended my findings, hopefully it can help anyone who is having the same problem. I guess we can call it a day.

Someone did mention that TC has a built-in Everything integration.
download/file.php?id=19106
That's probably a lot of work, and I am actually quite happy with the way things are right now.

Horst

Post by Horst »

terrytw wrote: 12 Mar 2023 02:27 ...
I have it figured out, for anyone that is having the same problem:

1. What highend's script does, is basically calling the es.exe using a XYplorer UI, therefore, any limitations es.exe has, is applicable to this script, like you need Everything GUI app to be running for it to work.
2. Filters and macros are supported in Everything 1.4, but they are only supported in GUI. If you use es.exe the cli tool, filters do not work!
3. In 1.5a, filters and macros work with BOTH GUI AND CLI (es.exe). But there is a caveat, you need to tell es.exe to communicate to Everything 1.5a, because 1.5a is an alpha version, by default es.exe won't use it!
So in cli, type

.\es.exe -instance 1.5a  -save-settings
There will be an ini file created at the same path es.exe is located. If you bring the ini with you to another machine, you won't need to use the command again.
As said in another thread
The -instance is not necessary !
Add the following line in your Everything-1.5.ini file and the Alpha works as usual.
alpha_instance=0

notabot

Post by notabot »

terrytw wrote: 12 Mar 2023 01:59 But unfortunately you are not right in this particular issue, filters like supported in 1.4.
Of course filters are supported in the GUI. I was talking about what you were trying to accomplish:
filter macros are not supported through ES.exe or by using the Everything SDK when using version 1.4.

Horst

Post by Horst »

notabot wrote: 12 Mar 2023 12:03
terrytw wrote: 12 Mar 2023 01:59 But unfortunately you are not right in this particular issue, filters like supported in 1.4.
Of course filters are supported in the GUI. I was talking about what you were trying to accomplish:
filter macros are not supported through ES.exe or by using the Everything SDK when using version 1.4.
I didn't say that filters are supported with Everything 1.4 and es.exe.
My ini file entry is of course only applicable for version 1.5
which I already suggested to use.