Crash creating thumbnails for high resolution videos

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
avivariba

Crash creating thumbnails for high resolution videos

Post by avivariba »

When switching to Thumbnails View for folders with high resolution videos (like 7680x3840 MP4 h.264 and h.265 files), XYplorer hangs on the Creating Thumbnails 0/ process, becoming completely unresponsive and crashing.

No such issues with similarly sized AVI files, 4K/UHD videos or other files, nor do the same videos or their thumbnails have issues in Windows File Explorer (or some other file explorers I tried to replicate it in).

Hereby a 1-second test video which causes the crashing too: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bFFTFO ... sp=sharing

admin
Site Admin

Re: Crash creating thumbnails for high resolution videos

Post by admin »

Thanks for the test video. But I cannot repro the issue here. Which Windows version is that?

avivariba

Post by avivariba »

admin wrote: 06 Mar 2023 10:50 Thanks for the test video. But I cannot repro the issue here. Which Windows version is that?
Interesting! I did for a couple of tests right after I rendered it, but I must have done something wrong or have another problematic file nearby for now the test file doesn't crash the application for me at all. I also found out that when such a video is up to 2-3 minutes in length, regardless of its file format, it generally generates the thumbnail just fine, but I can't pinpoint the exact duration.

I made a bigger test file that definitely triggers it for me upon switching to Thumbnail View, but instead of it completely hanging like I experience with other files, it comes with a permanently reoccurring warning that "This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy. Choose 'Switch To' to activate the busy application and correct the problem." (with the 'Switch To...' nor 'Retry' buttons solving anything). Even when trying to exit the application, it will throw that error, with the only way to get out being to kill the application process (e.g. from Task Manager).

The same goes when switching to Thumbnail View in the parent folder, presumably because it tries to generate the folder thumbnail from it. It generates all thumbnails up to arriving to that file or folder.

Hereby: https://drive.google.com/file/d/119KzjI ... sp=sharing

I'm on Windows 11.

EDIT: I'm going insane. It now generated and shows a thumbnail for the file. Maybe it's just really slow, hanging and/or crashing in the process, but I hope the bigger test file still helps to locate the issue. Now I'm also certain it happened with the smaller file, just it taking a lot less long to generate the thumbnail. (I'm running a 3950X/RTX 3090/64 GB if that were to matter.)
Last edited by avivariba on 06 Mar 2023 15:29, edited 5 times in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Zero problems. :|

avivariba

Post by avivariba »

I just found out the error only disappears after I opened the folders in Windows File Explorer, after which it caches and the thumbnail from there. When that hasn't happened yet, XYplorer keeps hanging and chrashing or throwing the "This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy" error for me. I let it be for about 30 minutes to see if anything else would happen eventually, and it throwed an Error: 10 (0x0000000A).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Try this script:

Code: Select all

text get("thumbnailprovider", "mp4");
My results:

GUID: {c5aec3ec-e812-4677-a9a7-4fee1f9aa000}
DefaultName: Icaros Thumbnail Provider

avivariba

Post by avivariba »

admin wrote: 07 Mar 2023 10:26 Try this script:

GUID: {9DBD2C50-62AD-11D0-B806-00C04FD706EC}
DefaultName: Property Thumbnail Handler

FYI, I found in another thread that someone tried setting "PreviewEarlyFactory=2" which got rid of the error that "This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy." but causes a complete crash always (opposed to it sometimes crashing and sometimes throwing the persistent error). It's definitely thumbnail-related opposed to preview-related though. But Windows File Explorer generates and shows thumbnails just fine. VLC as player.

EDIT: Just looked into and installed Icaros, activated it for mp4 with that now showing with the script. Issue persists, with it hanging on "creating thumb 0/" and it throwing the "This action cannot be completed because the other application is busy." error. No luck with reboots and complete reinstalls (including registry and configuration) either. And even when having "Show thumbnails for non-images" unchecked.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

avivariba wrote: 07 Mar 2023 10:39
admin wrote: 07 Mar 2023 10:26 Try this script:

I tested it now on Win10. No crash (but also no thumbnails for the hi-res videos).

Got the same:

That's all I can do. Must be something on your system, otherwise I would get MUCH more error reports.

avivariba

Post by avivariba »

You replied RIGHT when I gave it one more shot, with success this time!! :party:

I figured that maybe I did something in the wrong order the last times, so I uninstalled XYplorer and Icaros completely (including the configuration and from the registry) again. Reinstalled and activated Icaros first, then rebooted the PC. Installed XYplorer, set it as default file manager and rebooted the PC. And now everything is working perfectly!

But in any other way (rebooting after installing XYplorer and Icaros one after the other or in any other order), it breaks and starts crashing and throwing the error. Also with just XYplorer (and the Property Thumbnail Handler) for me. Which is a little annoying because I like relying on as little additional software as possible, so Icaros does feel a bit like bloat, but so be it.

Maybe that helps for any recreation or figuring out what the exact issue must have been and whether there is a way to prevent it from happening, but at least it's working for now. Thanks!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alright, thanks for the solution then. :)