xyplorer crashes unexpectedly

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
yuxt

Re: xyplorer crashes unexpectedly

Post by yuxt »

It's the current latest (24.20.0500), and the system is win 10 (21H2 I believe).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's weird that you get no error message, or do you?

yuxt

Post by yuxt »

The no-error-message is the same behavior (of this issue) as before, so I'm not surprised.

EDIT: the win10 version is 22H2.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can't make it happen now. Well, one day I'll catch it...

stoik

Post by stoik »

I have the same issue for years now.

I will share mu observations, so that perhaps the growing data pool may one day suggest a solution.

The above mentioned "fix" from end of 2022 did not fix it.

Most often it happens when creating a new folder,
but it can occasionally happen with other operations too,
e.g. going one level up in a folder tree.

No error messages, no freezing, just "sudden death" (closure)
of XYplorer - without saving the settings.

I disabled every shell extension that can be disabled, but no luck.

Mostly it happens after using XYplorer for a little while, not after just starting XYplorer, so I suspected some memory leak. I tried applying a memory cleaner (on XYplorer) every five seconds, but no luck again. The latest memory cleaner I used was FireMin, it can be extended to programs other than FireFox.

Of course, one can live with it, but it is extremely irritating. For which other software would we be so tolerant about repeated crashes ? A media player ? A web browser ? I don't think so ! But XYplorer is so great in so many other ways, that we put up with it, with a small grumble ...

stoik

Post by stoik »

I have a bit more to add.

Looking at the crash scenarios, mostly creating new folder and going up one level in folder tree ... these are situations where the environment has changed, and a refresh is due. When auto-refresh kicks in - XYplorer crashes. I tried preventing this by using refresh scripts before creating new folder, but no luck again.

This refresh question ... developers, does it ring any bells ?

I am just an ignorant software user, but I try to use common sense logic ...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Which version are you using?

stoik

Post by stoik »

Always the latest version, so now it is 24.40.0100. The crashes are still there.

I always upgrade as soon there is a newer version, mainly in the hope that the crash problem will be resolved.

Thanks for your response.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do your operations involve opening the shell context menu? In other words, do you right-click on files or folders?

stoik

Post by stoik »

"Do your operations involve opening the shell context menu ? In other words, do you right-click on files or folders ?"

Great question ! (if I, as an amateur, may say so) - You are logically narrowing down the algorithm.

Answer : No ! Both operations, that I described as the main "crashers", I conduct via toolbar buttons. Hmmm, I like Your thinking. Thanks a lot.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Do you also get crashes with a fresh instance? (Run fresh; through the address bar to open a fresh instance.)

stoik

Post by stoik »

OK, that will take a bit of time - since crashes are random, plus I am at work right now + very busy. If You are in Germany (I am in the US) - You may get my answer tomorrow (for You). Thanks.

stoik

Post by stoik »

Irony, Sod's law, Parkinson's law ... you know that stuff.

This damn quirk (the crash monster) is moody : now that I want to observe it, it refuses to happen, went into hiding, on both my "regular" customized XYplorer and on the "fresh" version.

I will give it more time (regular use, can't force it), and then I will let You know what happens.

Thanks again.

stoik

Post by stoik »

OK, here is my report.

I had two crashes this morning, one on my customized XYplorer, and one on the fresh XYplorer.

However, I lasted almost a couple of days without a crash. I wonder if XYplorer's latest context menu changes (including rocker movements) had anything to do with this improvement. I made no changes whatsoever to my system that could account for the improvement.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

If you get a crash after using the 32-bit shell context menu (and it must not be immediately after[/b]), the first suspect is always a faulty shell extension (some of the extra commands in your context menu).