xyplorer crashes unexpectedly

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
yuxt

xyplorer crashes unexpectedly

Post by yuxt »

I know that the description in the title is vague. I tried to gather for information to help debug (as well as waiting for a possible fix) but failed, so I'm just raising the issue here.

The issue looks like this:
- I'm doing normal operations, like creating a new folder, copying some files, renaming a file;
- Without any sign, it runs smoothly as usual - it closes. Reopening it and the unsaved configs (e.g. opened tabs) are lost;
- Sometimes I remember what I was doing (e.g. creating a new folder and just pressed "n"), and try to replicate - fails, it does not crash again;
- several versions have been updated and now it is 24.10 (and it crashed just now)

I cannot find any notification/log about the crash. It may be related to the environment: I'm using shared drives on a daily basis, but cannot remember if it ever crashed when I'm using local drive. I'm using win10 enterprise 22H2 (before it was 21H2). Also the device is inside company.

That's all I have for now. Could you help debug/locate and fix the issue?

admin
Site Admin

Re: xyplorer crashes unexpectedly

Post by admin »

Some others have been reporting the same. Can you reproduce the issue also with a fresh instance?

yuxt

Post by yuxt »

Do you mean using a default (portable) xyplorer without any customization to see if it still happens?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep.

Borut

Post by Borut »

Hi! I am experiencing this from time to time for years now, but learned to live with it, so that I did not report it. In my experience it happens in the following constellation (oft, but unfortunately not always): being in a network location (=logical drive letter...), right click on whitespace > new items > in my special case creation of a subfolder with a specific (date based) name > immediately afterwards, go to the new subfolder location (by clicking on it) (but sometimes even clicking on some nearby "parallel" folder does it!) > crash. My feeling was/is that the timing considerations play a crucial role here (perhaps pared with a bit slower network).
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Also with the current version? And no error message?

PS: NEVER happens here.

Borut

Post by Borut »

Well, not sure, but it surely happened also from time to time in the last month or two. Will not try to provoke it, but when and if it happens again, I will note the version. I think that the message comes from Windows, like "XYplorer is not responding...". But also think that sometimes XY just simply vanishes :) Will try to note these details when it happens again...
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AFAIK I fixed that on 20221204.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Borut wrote: 20 Feb 2023 14:02 Hi! I am experiencing this from time to time for years now, but learned to live with it, so that I did not report it. In my experience it happens in the following constellation (oft, but unfortunately not always): being in a network location (=logical drive letter...), right click on whitespace > new items > in my special case creation of a subfolder with a specific (date based) name > immediately afterwards, go to the new subfolder location (by clicking on it) (but sometimes even clicking on some nearby "parallel" folder does it!) > crash. My feeling was/is that the timing considerations play a crucial role here (perhaps pared with a bit slower network).
I'm a bit surprised by immediately afterwards, because right now you should be in inline-rename mode, so you first have to cancel rename, then you can go anywhere.

Borut

Post by Borut »

Yes, correct, one is in inline-rename mode. What I meant to say: For instance, press enter two times in a short sequence (to exit inline-rename mode confirming the name and immediately enter the newly created folder) - the idea is to do this all as fast as one can (what I was oft doing and then regretting it :) ). As said, my impression was that if one does it "prolonged", then everything is as expected.

But wait anyway - if it is only me, do not loose time. Maybe this is realy already gone. If I see it again, I'll report it with more details.
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I tried my best to break it, but no success. The phantom crashes continue to escape my hunting efforts. :blackstorm:

A kingdom for an error 9 message!

Borut

Post by Borut »

Hi again! Yep, the same hard work here and no results for many days. :) But today I got it. Now, I am using XY on a number of computers and not all of them have the same version of it. Also, I have not tried to analyze this by exploring the change log details. (Actually this happened on a remote computer which I was accessing via a remote desktop, but I do not think that this can play any role here. When I say local net, I mean there, in the remote environment. It has nothing to do with where I actually sit and with the communication in between. Everything I describe happened remotely. I expect that it would happen the same way if I were physically sitting at that computer.)

XY version used when it happened: 24.00.0705
Current path when it happened: On a server in a local net; Logical drive name used.
Situation: As described - after a newitems (defined as {yyyymmdd}.ORI), I immediately pressed two super fast returns.
What happened: No XY message showed up. The windows message obviously showed up after the exit from the inline editor - I suppose somewhere after the second return, which should have brought me into the newly created folder. After the Windows message was there I took the screenshot and selected to close the program.

As said, tried that many many times during last days, on various computers, but it always went OK. So, it is really hard to repeat. Anyway, maybe this will be of some help.

Edit: Tried it then with 24.10.0009 in the same environment at the same place and was not able to repeat it.
Attachments
XY_20230224.jpg
XY_20230224.jpg (164.74 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
Win 10 Pro 64bit

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm hacking away like a woodpecker on speed, but no (bad) luck. :|

yuxt

Post by yuxt »

I haven't got time to investigate more (incl. using a clean portable version to test). xyplorer has been working well since then till just now.

Here is how it crashed and hope this can help a little bit. But note that it's still not a clean portable setup..

The crash happened just now look like this:
- xyplorer has been opened for quite some time;
- I'm on a shared drive, in a folder including 3 files and an empty folder;
- select 2 files using keyboard (shift + arrow);
- press ctrl+x to cut;
- press up arrow to select a folder and hit enter (wanting to move the 2 files into that folder);

The (select, cut, up-arrow, enter) operations are fast (no pause and no hesitation). when I hit enter, xyplorer crashes.

I feel it's because I'm doing the operations quickly (as far as I can remember, I feel every crash happens when I do operations in a flow). But when I reopen xyplorer and try to do the same as fast as possible, it no longer crashes.

---
UPDATE: forgot to mention it's the current latest (24.20.0500), and the system is win 10 (21H2 I believe)
Last edited by yuxt on 29 Mar 2023 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Which version did you use?