How to make XYplorer default app in Win 10

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
BobsYourUncle

How to make XYplorer default app in Win 10

Post by BobsYourUncle »

Further to my subject title, I will explain further.

I want XYplorer to be the default everything for managing files. I detest Windows Exploder due to a serious many years old bug where it jumps to the top. This is what led me to find XYplorer and buy it.
After browsing the help section, I went into Shell Integration and ticked the 2 checkboxes to make XYplorer the default file manager.

However, it does not work in my situation with a function I perform frequently:

With my work, I have a large Excel spreadsheet to keep track of customer information. In that spreadsheet I have 2 cells with hyperlinks. One links directly to a MS Word document where I write notes about each project. The other link takes me to the folder containing all the files for the chosen customer.
When I click on the link I created to go to the files folder, it opens with Windows Explorer instead of XYplorer. I have poked around everywhere I can think of but came up empty. I cannot see how to make the above scenario open XYplorer as default.

Can anyone offer insight into this?
Thanks

WirlyWirly

Re: How to make XYplorer default app in Win 10

Post by WirlyWirly »

Ticking the boxes sets XY as the default file manager for your computer. You've done it correctly.

However, not every program will ask your computer to open a link using the default file manager, in this case Excel is specifically asking for explorer.exe instead of the PC default. This was a decision made by the programmers of Excel, which many would consider being in poor-taste/design, but even so it's not something you can change (at-least to the best of my knowledge of Excel, which might be outdated).

That said, one of our members has written a very handy AHK script that works very-well to automatically catch explorer windows and then open them in XY. Give it a try, it might be just what you need, I know it was for me :tup:

BobsYourUncle

Re: How to make XYplorer default app in Win 10

Post by BobsYourUncle »

Thanks Wirly,
A long read, I will go through it, absorb it and do my best to apply it to my situation.
:appl: