Joker Tabs

Please check the FAQ (https://www.xyplorer.com/faq.php) before posting a question...
admin
Site Admin

Joker Tabs

Post by admin »

From v24.00.0502 onwards.

Had a little idea this morning, kind of a Virtual Folder spin-off. It's not a polished feature yet, but it seems to work alright, and I did not even have to work a lot for it.

Joker Tabs are tabs that have no own location, but inherit the location the list is pointing to in the moment you select the Joker Tab. So you can use Joker Tabs to get a different perspective on the same data. Different list views, different columns, different sort order, etc.

How to make a Joker Tab (you can have as many as you want):
- create a new tab and lock it
- for looks rename it to eg "Joker" and give it some funny icon, eg: Joker|Smiley.ico
- now select a different tab, so that the Joker Tab is now in the background
- relocate the backgrounded Joker Tab to * (asterisk), using Relocate Tab... from the the tab's right-click menu

Now this tab will always show the current location, but in the way you configure this tab.

Could be the next killer feature. Play with it and tell me what you think. :cup:

PS: ATM, to make sense, this has to be ticked Configuration | Colors and Styles | Styles | Remember list settings per tab so that the Joker Tabs retain their specific settings.

Filehero

Re: Joker Tabs

Post by Filehero »

This could become the next killer feature once

- it works accross both panes

- the creation get's a bit easier. Since, as I get it, there's always only one Joker Tab:

a) New entry Menu > View > Tab > Display/Open Joker Tab (deactivated if already displayed/open)

b) New entry Joker Tab in tab context menu to make any open tab a Joker Tab (just like with Default Tab)

c) can-of-worms: Optionally inherit the FVS for the current location if there's one.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, you can have as many as you want. That's part of the point of it: Have any number of different perspectives.

Planned addition (maybe next beta): You don't have to lock it, and then you can run different locations through it. Either by address bar, or tree, or any other way. The tab stays Joker.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

So correct me if I'm wrong. I can do the same or similar using virtual folder tabs, but in this case, a Joker tab, it's real. For example, in a virtual folder, tab you can't delete a file; in a Joker tab, you can.

So essentially, it's the capability to have a totally different configuration (e.g., views, filters, etc.) for an existing or current folder whatever it is, and of course you can have multiple configurations or Jokers.
Windows 11, 22H2 Build 22621.1555 at 100% 2560x1440

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Exactly.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Next beta brings simplification:

How to make a new Joker Tab (you can have as many as you want):
- create a new tab (locking optional, the Joker property will stay until you explicitly take it away via Relocate Tab...)
- relocate the new tab to * (asterisk), using View | Tab | Relocate Tab... or Relocate Tab... from the the tab's right-click menu

Props
- JTs will not use any FVS attached to the location. It's exactly their point to apply their own independent view settings.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

admin wrote: 01 Feb 2023 15:23 Props
- JTs will not use any FVS attached to the location. It's exactly their point to apply their own independent view settings.
Ok, I was just going to ask about this (with beta v24.00.0503) I can't seem to save a FVS for the Joker tab (as I can for a virtual). Are you saying now that's by design? Obviously, JT's shouldn't use the FVS of the attached current non-Joker tab. So shouldn't you be able to save the FVS view for the Joker independent of the other tab (e.g., downloads tab is set with FVS to a list view, but I want the Joker to always be details view). When I go to save a FVS for the Joker I get this below. XY is seeing the Joker as the Downloads folder as far as FVSs are concerned.

So, are you saying the Joker tab itself will save its configuration (i.e., the view and filter settings) independent of the attached location without its own FVS)?
save Joker FVStab separate from current.jpg
save Joker FVStab separate from current.jpg (26.9 KiB) Viewed 910 times

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

No, the feature is not elaborated. I just wanted to mention it. It's so natural and self-explaining, it's almost a non-feature. Just needs a little polishing around the edges. Later this year I will come back to it.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Ok Don, it works. The Joker is using the settings you last set for it when you return to it regardless of the attached or current folder and that's what's important. :tup:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It works best when the Steve Miller band plays in the background.

klownboy

Post by klownboy »

Yeah, the gangster of love...brings back memories. Maybe you should of went with "shake your tree" instead of "Joker".

nerdweed

Post by nerdweed »

Actually, we can just clone after creating the first one per pane.

Delphine

Post by Delphine »

admin wrote: 01 Feb 2023 12:19 From v24.00.0502 onwards.

Had a little idea this morning, kind of a Virtual Folder spin-off. It's not a polished feature yet, but it seems to work alright, and I did not even have to work a lot for it.
Coming back to planet Earth, don't you think speeding up OneDrive status icons feature would be a more urgent and professional need ?
The debate is open

phred

Post by phred »

Delphine wrote: 01 Feb 2023 18:42 Coming back to planet Earth, don't you think speeding up OneDrive status icons feature would be a more urgent and professional need ?
All work and no play makes Don a dull boy.

LittleBiG

Post by LittleBiG »

I am just wondering if it wouldn't be useful to mark the previous tab visually, from which you arrived to the joker.

By the way, I am not a big fan of two-pane anymore (since I started to use XY), but in my workflow I can imagine using the 2nd pane exclusively for joker tabs.