Confirmation Dialog

Features wanted...
Julian

Confirmation Dialog

Post by Julian »

When I copy to a directory (drag&drop, paste) I can activate a confirmation dialog. This is great.

It shows me the destination folder. I would like the destination path to be editable so I can edit or add a subfolder here.

(I know I get all kind of menu options with right-mouse drag- but it does not always work, i.e. when dragging from a different application.)

My previous filemanager had this dialog and I was able to set as destination a ZIP archive. I just needed to type in ...\dest.zip: (note the : at the end) and it would create or modify a ZIP file.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Confirmation Dialog

Post by admin »

Code: Select all

(note the : at the end) 
That was a special function of that file manager?

Julian

Post by Julian »

Yes, with the : at the end (which cannot be part of a file name otherwise) it knew that the destination was an archive and not just a directory.

I would expect that this is too much to ask, but that file manager (The Next Tool) was able to do that in a nested way, so you could also could copy to a subdirectory in a ZIP file
c:\test\archive.zip:\subdir_in_zip

But already having an edit field in the confirmation dialog would help a lot.

BTW - I asked that before, but I really would need a "Save" button in the text dialog so I can save the text which was created by a script easily.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I find it a bit unusual (in the uninteresting way). No immediate plans.

Julian

Post by Julian »

You're the boss.

But how can I get the function of that popup menu when I drag a file or folder from outside (with left mouse button) on XY?
dragdest.png
dragdest.png (18.68 KiB) Viewed 557 times
I think you can replace this popup menu with a dialog which would be much simpler with just 2 edit fields and 4 checkboxes.

X Move Items
X Create Archive
X Flat, all files in one directory
Foldername ______ [Insert Date]
Name _________ [Insert Date]
X Add counter

[OK] [CANCEL] [CREATE SCRIPT]

Right now I have to use the sub menu, look for the correct Item, then I get an input dialog for the name and then the confirmation dialog anyway. I find that sub-optimal.

The button "Insert Date" inserts the date in cursor position (or 0) in the edit fields
The button [CREATE SCRIPT] creates a script in the catalog so I can copy/move the files later on mouse click.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You should get that popup menu when you drag with the right mouse.

Julian

Post by Julian »

You should get that popup menu when you drag with the right mouse.
Yes, I do. Unfortunately from many applications I cannot drag with right mouse button, i.e the e-mail program or 7-Zip.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well, it is as it is. (I'm from Cologne ;) )

Julian

Post by Julian »

Can you please consider to open the special (right drag) popup menu when the user presses ALT while dropping a file?

Since this menu also contains the function to create a link, this would be super useful for all.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

special?

Julian

Post by Julian »

admin wrote: 09 Feb 2023 08:51special?

It is special in the sense that it is only displayed when drag&drop with right mouse button and not with left mouse button.
Screenshot 2023-02-09 092119.png
Screenshot 2023-02-09 092119.png (19.7 KiB) Viewed 448 times
It would help much to be able to display it when drag&drop with left mouse button (most important for drag&drop from outside) - I suggested to activate it with ALT key.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, got it. But the ALT key does not work for this. Windows prevents menus from being shown while ALT is pressed.

Julian

Post by Julian »

You are right - I also had problems with this in my program, too.

Maybe you can use the combination Shift+Ctrl which does -apparently- the same as ALT right now.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Julian wrote: 09 Feb 2023 10:54 Maybe you can use the combination Shift+Ctrl which does -apparently- the same as ALT right now.
That's true, I copied that weird synonymity from Explorer.

But I'm not really happy with popping a menu on left-click. :maf:

Julian

Post by Julian »

admin wrote: 09 Feb 2023 11:53But I'm not really happy with popping a menu on left-click.
Just to make clear: I do not mean left-click but left drag&drop with SHIFT+CTRL.

Having a popup menu with left click + key press is not so un-common. It is the usual way on OSX (Command-Click). It is also very practical when using a touch pad. So I think many will benefit from this enhancement.