Folder sizes are conflicting hugely

Things you’d like to miss in the future...
HairyMadman

Folder sizes are conflicting hugely

Post by HairyMadman »

I always have folder sizes turned on. Lately I notice some extreme conflicts, where a folder will have a stated size but some of its subfolders actually are MUCH larger than they're indicated on the listing of that folder, and in fact larger than the entire folder's purported size. I'd love to hear any ideas of what's happening; I depend on folder sizes and this is making them useless. I have clicked "refresh" with no effect whatever. Thanks.

I've annotated a screenshot to illustrate and state my issue more clearly:
xyplorerproblem.jpg
xyplorerproblem.jpg (205.44 KiB) Viewed 240 times
xyplorerproblem2.jpg
xyplorerproblem2.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Last edited by HairyMadman on 13 Jan 2023 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

admin
Site Admin

Re: Folder sizes are conflicting hugely

Post by admin »

Try this to attach your image:
Attachments
XYForumAttachImage3.png
XYForumAttachImage3.png (46.59 KiB) Viewed 254 times

HairyMadman

Post by HairyMadman »

Thanks so much. I posted the screenshots per your advice but nobody seems the least little bit interested in the problem. Seems like a rather significant one to me, what do you think? Is there another avenue to find an answer or advice when the forum does not suffice? Or have I bungled the forum posting procedure yet again? :oops:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Oh, sorry about that! There is no notification when an image in a post is updated, so nobody noted that it was updated.

Your issue is easily explained. The ~ character in front of your numbers has a special meaning: these are numbers read from a cache. And apparently this cache got stale. Either refresh the cache, or just turn off the caching here: Configuration | General | Tree and List | List | Cache folder sizes

HairyMadman

Post by HairyMadman »

admin wrote: 15 Jan 2023 20:37 Oh, sorry about that! There is no notification when an image in a post is updated, so nobody noted that it was updated.

Your issue is easily explained. The ~ character in front of your numbers has a special meaning: these are numbers read from a cache. And apparently this cache got stale. Either refresh the cache, or just turn off the caching here: Configuration | General | Tree and List | List | Cache folder sizes
Thanks again. I had assumed that "Refresh" would, well, refresh the size display by recalculating the directory size, and that the ~ character designated "approximately," in that a displayed "3 GB" directory would not, obviously be precisely 3 GB. I've since turned off the cache, with no detectable performance hit even on my underpowered PC; xyplorer informs me how long it takes to recalculate and it's always less than a second.